Second guessing name - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So DH and I decided on naming this baby Miles. No middle name yet though. However, a few people have made comments about how it's just a combination of our other boys' names Mark and Kyle. So would you use the name Miles or does it seem like we just meshed the two other names together.

BTW, Miles is my grandfather's name. He's 89. Plus, it was the only name we could agree on.

See post #19 to help with middle name
#2 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 AM

If you like it keep it! People like to make comments about other people's name choices.. I think its nature to second guess a name choice though, DH and I as second guessing what we picked as well.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 01:37 AM

I agree... if you like it, keep it.

Does it sound like it could be a combination of the names of your other boys? Yes, once you point it out, I could see that. But you know the significance of the name and it's a name I personally really like.
#4 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 07:10 AM

I dont think it matters what other people think. You name your child what YOU want to name him. I always say, opinions are like Buttholes, everybody has one.
#5 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 10:26 AM

I'd stick with Miles. It's a great name. We're going the grandfather name route, too, and the sentimental value of it means so much more than what other people think.
#6 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 AM

I love that name! A friend of mine named her son that. Name him what you want and don't worry about everyone else. It isn't like you are naming him Sue or anything.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#7 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 10:50 AM

I think that Miles is a great name. I would never think it was a combination of Mark and Kyle.
#8 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 AM

I would tune those comments out. Miles is a wonderful name, and especially since it is your grandfather's it will always be a special gift to both your son and to him.
#9 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 11:05 AM

Not in your ddc but wanted to add that I am having naming issues regarding all our children's names "going" together. Someone pointed out to me that I am probably thinking of it that way because as the mom I'm going to say "these are my kids: so-n-so, so-n-so and so-n-so" a lot. But as the kids grow up and develop their own lives how often are you refered to in combination with your siblings names? So I agree, keep Miles, especially due to the sentimental value.

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#10 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 12:22 PM

I agree with the pp. I would keep it. I wouldn't think of it as a combination of your other 2 boys' names. I think the sentimental part of it means more than anything. People will always have something to comment about. You can't please all the people all the time.
#11 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM

I like Miles. Keep it.
#12 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 PM

I like the name a lot; a friend of ours named their son that, and it's so charming.

That said, I have a thing against rhyming names, so I personally wouldn't have a son named Kyle and one named Miles. I think it's the rhyming that bugs me more than the idea that it's the other names mashed together. My son's name is Jamie and I've ruled out names that rhyme with that or sound too similar, like Mamie, Amy, and even Daisy. No Kaylee, since it's too close to my name. You get the idea.

I'm sorry...but you did ask! But the bottom line is that they're your kids, it's a great name, and if it doesn't bug *you*, then who cares?

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#13 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 PM

Miles is a lovely name that means "merciful" and "generous". Don't let others try to ruin the pleasure of naming your own child. :

This is why DH and I absolutely REFUSE to tell anyone our son's name before he is born. I simply don't have patience for that kind of conversation and I think if someone made a comment like that I'd have trouble not taking it personally. Once he's born and it's a done deal, few will have the audacity to comment negatively about the name we chose.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#14 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Not in your DDC, but I think you should go for it.

I never would have thought it sounded like a combo of Mark and Kyle if you hadn't pointed it out. Besides, I know a family with daughters named Lilly and Lyla....I think you're doing okay .

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#15 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 PM

I love Miles, especially for you since it's a family name! I think you should tell those other people to stuff it. It does not sounds like a combo of the other boys names. People can be so snarky!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#16 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Miles is a fine name.
#17 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 11:30 PM

ooh, like miles davis...love it!

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#18 of 20 Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 PM

Oh, I like Miles! I say go for it!

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#19 of 20 Old 10-29-2008, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so can I get some suggestions for a middle name? Our last name starts with "E" pronounced short "e"
#20 of 20 Old 10-29-2008, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
That said, I have a thing against rhyming names, so I personally wouldn't have a son named Kyle and one named Miles. I think it's the rhyming that bugs me more than the idea that it's the other names mashed together. My son's name is Jamie and I've ruled out names that rhyme with that or sound too similar, like Mamie, Amy, and even Daisy. No Kaylee, since it's too close to my name. You get the idea.
I've thought about that. Yet, for some reason Miles just seems to fit. I've liked Miles from the beginning of the pg, and DH also came around to liking it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page