ideas to feed the midwife - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My homebirth midwife is vegan. I would like/need to have food on hand for her to eat while she is at my house. I KNOW that I am not going to be doing any cooking and since I could have this baby tomorrow or in a month, I was thinking that it would be best to have something made and frozen that I/she could just defrost.

The problem is that I can't think of anything vegan to cook ahead of time and freeze. Any ideas?
#2 of 6 Old 10-29-2008, 11:45 PM

I posted about this on the pregnancy forum...

Lots of fresh fruits and veggies! Oranges, bananas, apples, grapes, etc Carrots, broc, red and other color peppers, etc. Things easy to munch and dip. I like the hummus idea, get some nice dry hummus in bulk Maybe tofutti "cream" cheese, and whole wheat tortillas to roll up and cilantro for flavor. Easy to make and cut up and have as a bite size snack. Sandwich stuff is good. We're veg so we would only keep veg food on hand anyway. Canned chickpeas can be mashed up and prepared like tuna and is called "mock" tuna in veg world. (use vegan mayo instead of regular)It's good too! :

Another thing would be to get some bulk roasted nuts if you can all eat nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc) and keep in glass jars and those can be grab and go food as well and bought very early on. Crackers and nut butters too. Trail mix....make your own or have some good ones on hand. Dried fruit would be good too...like cherries, cranberries, raisins, apricots, etc.

Most midwives will say nice tea and coffee will suffice..so having those on hand wold be nice that so rhymed!

Btw..I'm due in december and just south of you in little Rhody!
#3 of 6 Old 10-30-2008, 01:28 AM

I wish I had thought of this! My midwife is so amazingly wonderful, but DS's birth kind of caught us offguard. I think DH asked her if he could get her anything, but I can't remember... I was kind of preoccupied . At least it was a quick labour and birth- she was only here for about five hours.

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

#4 of 6 Old 10-30-2008, 07:54 AM

-Make and freeze some zucchini bread, put on counter to defrost for labor.
-Freeze a pot of vegetable soup, put in crockpot for labor (or in an ovenproof pot in a slow oven)

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#5 of 6 Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Great ideas everyone, thanks!

We have nuts on hand, because we eat alot of them. We almost always have lots of fruit and veggies (but we shop once a week and if this baby comes on day 7 of the week, then we tend to run low).

My DH is going to make a black bean soup and freeze it.
I am going to buy a couple different granola/trail mixes and put them in birth bins, so we don't eat them early.

Zucchini bread might be more than my abilities, but I will look into it.

thanks again!
#6 of 6 Old 10-30-2008, 10:42 AM

I thought about making a bean soup (my doula is vegetarian) but I'm worried about the air quality in the room if everyone's eating beans. Something to think about.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page