Induction - Disappointing update - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-30-2008, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Assuming he doesn't make an appearance before this I'll be induced on November 13th!!!

This pregnancy has been so very difficult. Its becoming real that we'll be bringing our son home in just over two weeks!!

:::::::::: ::::
#2 of 16 Old 10-30-2008, 12:25 AM

Wow Sage, you may have your baby before I do.

I hope the next two weeks are easier for you.
#3 of 16 Old 10-30-2008, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'll be 37 weeks at induction.

My second was also induced at 37 weeks, she was 8 lbs 4 oz.
I was induced at what they *thought* was 37 weeks with my third, actually turned out I was only 34 weeks, and she still 6 lbs 4 oz.

This guy is measuing two weeks ahead for his size so he should be in the 8 lb range as well.
#4 of 16 Old 10-30-2008, 02:33 AM

Wow, exciting! I hope knowing the end is near makes things easier

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#5 of 16 Old 10-30-2008, 02:37 AM

YAY!!! I can't wait til little Luicen makes his appearance. and for you to feel better
#6 of 16 Old 10-30-2008, 06:08 AM

oh wow! at first i cringed thinking, oh my that's so early is her body going to be ready?...but i see you've done inductions this "early" before and had great outcomes so this one should go equally as nice! that's fantastic news and should really help knowing a diffinite date to get to meet your little man! :
#7 of 16 Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 AM

Wow! Best of luck, mama. It must be exciting to know he'll be here soon!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#8 of 16 Old 10-30-2008, 09:41 AM

Isn't that the full moon? Maybe you won't need to be induced
#9 of 16 Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Induction - disappointing update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, on the plus side I think the doc we were planning on switching to exchanged some words with my OB. He walked into his office today a totally different doctor. We were quite somber as we were bummed that we had to switch care now, not only is my OB the most respected and highly sought OB in our city, he's very hard to get into. He only takes on high risk and as a result of his shining reputation, women come from other cities to come see him. Our disappointment was only compounded by the fact that I seem to be the only woman to ever have been let down by his care. This appt today was to tell him that we are switching and why. We weren't looking forward to it. The last time we saw him he said "oh, I'm not inducing you early or doing a section" then he turned and walked away. We were quite surprised by this as the week before this he told me he was not going to induce early.
So this is how today went.

He walked into the room with a huge grin on his face and said "did Linda (his OB, and not her real name btw) tell you the good news?" He was almost giddy.
We were baffled.
He said, "I got an opening and got you an early date! The 19th!!"
We were stunned. Like I said, the last he told us he refused to induce early.
"For induction?" We asked, quite confused.
"No, for a section. I can't induce you since your last was a section"

Long story short, he went on to explain that cervidil is contraindicated for VBAC as the cervidil can cause the scarring to tear, resulting in a ruptured uterus. I was quite disappointed as I did NOT want another section, my last one was an emergency section and I was not ready for it. I've been adamant this entire pregnancy that I did not want a section. He thought that it was reasonable to do one at this point, given the complications and pain I've endured. He said there are two options, one is to try a foley balloon, that mocks pressure to soften and dilate the uterus. Its not very effective. The other is to wait and see what my cervix is like and try the oxytocin, but he doesn't like to use oxytocin. I don't like that option either. I know that he doesn't like to do sections either, its not his first choice. He much prefers to let pregnancy progress as nature deems. But it is what it is.
So we're looking at a section. He's going to try for the 12th, but at this point I'm scheduled for the 19th. I've got the next couple of weeks to come to terms with the section. I'm looking for the bright sides....

1 - I'll be in the hospital longer so if my son does need a couple of days in NICU, I'll be there too.
2- there's no chance he'll have a cone head. (I'm grasping here, none of my vaginal babies had cone heads, lol. btw, if there's a different term for this I'm just not aware of it, so please correct me)
3- because of the sad condition of my bones right now, recovery is a huge question mark, thereby barring the possibility of being forced to walk around a few hours after surgery.
4- laboring is a huge concern with the condition of my pelvic bones right now, a section alleviates all the worry.

I need more.
#10 of 16 Old 10-31-2008, 08:28 PM

Im sorry you have to deal with this.. As for the positive you can always put down at least you know when its happening (Ok, Im reaching here).

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#11 of 16 Old 10-31-2008, 09:11 PM

you get the time to make a fully informed decision based upon the options you have at hand. isn't that motherhood anyway? do the best you can with what you've got. no matter what, it's the birth you choose. it may not be the birth you ideally want, but who really gets that?
if i got to choose i'd get an orgasmic one, but i'm not banking on it....

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#12 of 16 Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 PM

I'm sorry.
#13 of 16 Old 11-01-2008, 12:13 AM

I might be missing part of the story here, but why is it that you have to be induced/sectioned? Why can't you just wait to go into labor and have the VBAC?

~Sandy
mommy to Joey 11, Ian 9, Hayden 7 and Charlie 3

#14 of 16 Old 11-01-2008, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm kind of confused. Is he still ok with a VBAC? It sounds like he's offering some good options. I know my OB with my last (planned VBAC turned placenta previa) we were going to go the Foley route if I went later than 41wks or had a "stalled, slow" labor. I've also heard that cervidil was a danger during VBAC. I know I'm missing something about the whys. I would try every option thrown at me to attempt a VBAC first, but if there is something else going on here I'm missing, I hope you find peace with the c/s.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#15 of 16 Old 11-01-2008, 01:04 PM

sage ss
i am rooting for you!
however your baby comes, i am sending you good vibes for a healthy baby and healthy mom! that's the whole point, right?

i too am a little disappointed with my second scheduled section, but my happy idea is that we SHOULD both be healthy and happy after wards.

hang in there, it's been a long 9 months! and we're ALMOST there!

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens
#16 of 16 Old 11-01-2008, 04:26 PM

Sage, You have time to think things over and prepare for what's best for you.

I have to agree with what the OB said about induction. Induction carries higher risk for women who have had sections. Personally, I would never be comfortable using cervidil or oxytocin. I would choose another section over hormone induction. This coming from someone who had a horrible section.

If you don't feel physically ready or capable to VBAC without induction...perhaps a repeat section is best.

I've heard that when you plan a section recovery may be better. You would also be able to come up with a c-section birth plan. It sounds like this OB would be willing to work with you on things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page