Mothering Forum banner

is bloody show necessary?

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  e123vg 
#1 ·
I can't remember if I had bloody show last time, and I don't know if it's necessary for the onset of "real" labor or not. Can anyone answer this?

Also, if you're dilated to, say 2cm, would your mucus plug already be gone? I forgot to ask the doc this.

#2 ·
I have never had bloody show. I never saw my mucus plug w/ ds, but with dd, I remember it came out all in one glop, about six hours into active labor - I was probably around 5 or 6 cm at the time.

#5 ·
with DS#1 i didnt have any bloody show until my water broke. I dont really know if I lost my mucus plug with him either, although I was 3 1/2 cm when I went into labor with with him. With this pregnancy, I believe i lost my plug in a couple of slimy globs over a weeks time. I was only at a finger tip dialted, and am still only at 1 cm. I am 100% effaced though. So I think it is just different each and every time. No matter what it was like before or what it was like for anyone else.

#6 ·
I don't remember it with DD. I also don't remember losing the mucus plug.

#11 ·
Never saw any with my first 2; saw a little bit with #3 AFTER early labor had already begun. So no, you don't *have* to see it, and I would also imagine it'd be easy to miss anyway (like if you went to the bathroom and it came out then in the toilet, you might not even notice, yk?)

#12 ·
Thanks, everyone. After dealing with these on-again off-again contrax and cramping episodes, I've finally come to the conclusion that all I can do is ignore them until they demand I pay attention.

Glad to know bloody show isn't necessary--b/c I didn't think it was. I really don't think I saw anything last time.

#14 ·
hehe, i was going to post this same question. i didn't have a plug or a bloody show. my ob told me to rush in if i had a bloody show... but i've never had one so how do i know if labor is near... obviously if my water breaks but any other signs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.