Does anyone see a DO? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-25-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone here see a DO/osteopathic doctor? Can you tell me about him or her? I've seen the suggestions on here of finding a DO after being fired or harassed about vaxes from more mainstream practices. Are DOs generally more accepting of non-vaxing families? What about openness to AP, homebirth, and natural living in general? I'm sure they vary on these subjects, but if anyone could share some experiences, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#2 of 11 Old 11-25-2008, 05:00 PM

My ds "sees" a DO (he's only seen her twice). First visit she asked if he got hep b in the hospital (he didn't) and she never said one word about vaccines. Her office is filled with bf'ing posters and she is very supportive of bf'ing.
However, last time we were there they did have flu shot posters too, but she never brought any vaxes up with us.
#3 of 11 Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 PM

I think it varies by individual (of course) and by region.

Here, we are relatively close to a major osteopathic medical school and historically the tuition was lower, academic requirements less stringent, and program was shorter than for regular medical school. We have hordes of osteopaths and the theoretically alternative credential doesn't mean *anything* in terms of their practice. Most don't do adjustments and practice just like any M.D. In fact, I know several OB/GYNs who are D.O.'s, not M.D.s, and they are just as gung-ho about routine high interventions with normal pregnancy and labors and have c-section rates as high as any OB/GYN with an M.D.

Best bet is to ask around with people who prefer a crunchier physician and, as you're already doing, keeping your eyes and ears wide open when you visit.
#4 of 11 Old 11-25-2008, 05:38 PM

I have talked to two so far on the phone who refused to see me as soon as I said I didn't vaccinate.
#5 of 11 Old 11-25-2008, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our old family practitioner was a DO. She was a nice family doctor, didn't blink when I said we weren't vaccinating, had no concerns about homebirth and generally had a good commonsense approach to things (think about things like risk factors for lead screening, like that). But I don't think she had a wide repertoire of ways to deal with illness, so I didn't see her as a resource for, say, my coughing sick kid who I want help getting better but not antibiotics unless as a very last resort, yk? Our new DO does cranial-sacral mostly, and "regular doctor stuff" just a bit, but also doesn't have a wide range of things to help with illness (except cranial-sacral, which she says she gets really good results with).

I think your likelihood of finding someone compatible is higher but not guaranteed. I found both these docs through places like FYT and AP parenting yahoo lists.
#6 of 11 Old 11-25-2008, 05:56 PM

We've seen a DO for years. He's awesome. His philosophy is that he gives the information and the parents make the decisions. No problem not vaxing, very pro-BFing, etc. He's with the family practice part of our clinic.

Jenn
#7 of 11 Old 11-26-2008, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#8 of 11 Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 PM

DOs can be better, but we prefer NDs.
#9 of 11 Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 AM

I just have to add that I am friends with the wife of a DO and I can tell you, at least in this case, he is just as bad as an MD, if not worse. He is very pro-vax'ing, heavy medicating, nothing natural. And he is ridiculously arrogant - typical Dr. attitude. Unfortunately, he is in the practice that we go to (we aren't vaxing) and I know he has access to our records and I'm fairly certain he knows what we're doing and he has taken to being an outright jerk to me and DH. He'll never say why, but I know he thinks we are scum of the earth.

That said, there are alot of DO's in our area and I'm fairly certain they are all mainstream, thinks vax'ing is great, etc. It must be a regional thing.
#10 of 11 Old 12-06-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu View Post
I think it varies by individual (of course) and by region.

Here, we are relatively close to a major osteopathic medical school and historically the tuition was lower, academic requirements less stringent, and program was shorter than for regular medical school. We have hordes of osteopaths and the theoretically alternative credential doesn't mean *anything* in terms of their practice. Most don't do adjustments and practice just like any M.D. In fact, I know several OB/GYNs who are D.O.'s, not M.D.s, and they are just as gung-ho about routine high interventions with normal pregnancy and labors and have c-section rates as high as any OB/GYN with an M.D.

Best bet is to ask around with people who prefer a crunchier physician and, as you're already doing, keeping your eyes and ears wide open when you visit.

Yep to this. I used to do medical transcription for a DO in Ohio and he was as mainstream as you can get! He thought chiropractors were the worst and did not agree with patients taking herbal supplements or doing anything considered "alternative", like acupuncture.

Kelly - wife to the best DH and : Mama to 6 younguns
#11 of 11 Old 12-06-2008, 08:39 PM

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page