I am so effing sick of being harrassed. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-25-2008, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dude. Can we sue someone or something? My foodstamps/cash case ust got denied because I didnt give the lady a letter from my "church" about why I dont vaccinate. See this post:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=996987

Why are we subject to so much freaking criticism and harrassment?!?!?!?!

I am so sick of it.
#2 of 16 Old 11-26-2008, 03:53 AM

That really sucks! My only suggestion is to move north to Alberta. We have no mandatory vaccinations (although hcps LOVE to tell you they are all "mandatory"), so no exemptions needed.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#3 of 16 Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
That really sucks! My only suggestion is to move north to Alberta. We have no mandatory vaccinations (although hcps LOVE to tell you they are all "mandatory"), so no exemptions needed.

We were just having this discussion on another board. I am a home daycare provider and they all think that they MUST have every child vaxed to stay in their home daycare. Sadly, NOT true.

It amazes me who many people are so ill-informed on their rights to vax or not vax.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#4 of 16 Old 11-26-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabb View Post
It amazes me who many people are so ill-informed on their rights to vax or not vax.
I agree, but I also don't always fault people on this because doctors, the media, etc., are so good at keeping people in line, you know? It is so easy for a doctor to threaten a nervous, maybe sleep deprived new mom that her baby MUST get <insert vax here> or the doctor can call CPS, tell horror stories, or use other threats and scare tactics.

And now with that media onslaught of "Oh, don't let those dirty non-vaxers at your play groups!" and things like that, it just encourages that mentality of not wanting to be associated with the "bad" parents that "neglect" the health needs of their children, etc etc...you know how the media likes to spin it. So going back to the nervous new mom, if she doesn't have a support system that encourages her to trust herself and research on her own, I can totally see how people buy into vaccines and don't really question them.

It really bothers me that this is the parenting climate we're in...not just with vaxes, but co-sleeping, breastfeeding, not using antibiotics for every sniffle, etc...the pressure to stay in line is so great sometimes, instead of an environment of constantly learning more so we can do better. Which makes me even happier that I have MDC!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#5 of 16 Old 11-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
It really bothers me that this is the parenting climate we're in...not just with vaxes, but co-sleeping, breastfeeding, not using antibiotics for every sniffle, etc...the pressure to stay in line is so great sometimes, instead of an environment of constantly learning more so we can do better. Which makes me even happier that I have MDC!
Yep, MDC makes me feel "normal".

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#6 of 16 Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 PM

It drives me nuts as well, but it is hard to blame the parents. HCPs tell them things are "mandatory", and you are taught your whole life to do what your doctor says, so why would you suspect your doctor is lying to you?

The maternity book our health region provides to all pregnant women says that eye drops are "mandatory" for newborns. Not true.

When I was in the hospital and the lab tech came around to do my daughter's heal stick she told me it was "mandatory." That made me so angry! It was something I wanted to have done, but don't tell me it is mandatory when it is a total crock of lies. What are they going to do? Kick me out of the hospital? Throw me in jail? You can't force someone into having (or making their child have) a medical procedure.

It is all about compliance.

I end up telling a lot of people that they have a choice, and they really have no idea. I say that I am not going to tell anyone else what to do with their child (it was hard enough for me to come to a decision about my own), but that they need to know they have a choice.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#7 of 16 Old 11-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Transformed, whatever happened with this?
#8 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

I was waiting for the letters in the mail with the official word and I am going to have to go throuh the appeal process.

I am also going to try and file a discrimination thing (the instructions are on the paper also) because I feel this is a form of religous discrimination. (Requiring me to have an official religion, kwim?)
#9 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 AM

transformed..are you in a state which requires you to be a member of a recognized religion in order to get an exemption, or is this just s power play by the welfare dept/DHS/*insert whatever name they use in your state here*??

i ask, because it will probably make a difference as to how you go about fighting it. If this is just the dhs being stupid and trying to make you come up with something they legally don't have a right to ask, that is one thing. If you are in one of those states that actually has it written into the law that you must be a member of a recognized vaccination-denouncing religion or whatever, then you would actually have to challenge that law in court, versus doing an appeal with the DHS...am i making any sense?

CPST
#10 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

I am in colorado. The exemption box on the vaccine form says "list religion optional" but I dont know exactly what the laws are.
We have philisophical exemptions hre! I told the worker "Just change me to that."
#11 of 16 Old 12-02-2008, 03:40 PM

Glad you have philosophical exemptions too. We do, and it really helps.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#12 of 16 Old 12-02-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
If you are in one of those states that actually has it written into the law that you must be a member of a recognized vaccination-denouncing religion or whatever, then you would actually have to challenge that law in court, versus doing an appeal with the DHS...am i making any sense?
No, she would not have to go to Court. The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#13 of 16 Old 12-02-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
No, she would not have to go to Court. The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

oooh. thanks for that.
#14 of 16 Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=transformed;12713141]I am in colorado. The exemption box on the vaccine form says "list religion optional" but I dont know exactly what the laws are.
We have philisophical exemptions hre! I told the worker "Just change me to that." [/QUOTE

You don't need to be a member of any particular religion in Colorado. They are just jerking your chain. Get the appeal and put these morons in their place!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#15 of 16 Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

I just wrote the ACLU. We'll see if anything comes of it.

(There are 2 issues here - 1 the vax religion thing, and 2 the fact that I have been so depressed and mentally ill that I couldn't complete the process, and my caseworker knew that and blew me off.)

Here is my tao thread about it.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1007517
#16 of 16 Old 12-03-2008, 07:11 PM

I am so sorry you are going through this!!! Hopefully your setting some things straight there will help another mom later on.

CO is usually really good about the vax thing. They have a large number of unvaccinated children in that state... I am surprised they are being so (*@#$(

Keep us updated on everything...

hale::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page