A few questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Once you start vaxing if you decide to stop is that okay??

My girls are 2 and 4 so they have already had quite a bit of vaccinations. After my youngest has her last one she had a very bad reaction to it and after reading up on vaccinations I just don't know if I feel comfortable continuing. I feel like I have to though. My Ped. is very forceful about it and was telling me if I don't vax my girls won't be able to go to any pre-schools or public schools when they are older. Is this true?

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#2 of 15 Old 12-04-2008, 11:50 PM

You can stop vaxing at any time. Vaccines are not like antibiotics, where you have to finish them out. There is no medical reason to continue vaccinating if you are no longer comfortable with doing so. And if your child had a reaction, I don't blame you for being uncomfortable.

Almost every state has vaccine exemptions available. Depending on your state's laws you should be able to sign something or complete a form stating your reasons for not vaccinating, and that will suffice in place of a vaccination record. Don't let a doctor bully you into believing otherwise.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#3 of 15 Old 12-05-2008, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are two states with only medical exemptions, I think Mississippi and West Virginia, and medical exemptions are only for specific vaccines for limited time periods, and they're almost impossible to get. All the other states have religious and/or philosophical exemptions. But for religious, you'll need to stop all vaccinating, because it's the _practice_ of vaccination that is key, not individual vaccines.

Many of us have kids that are partially vaccinated. The thing is--I no longer think it's good for my kids, so I'm sure as heck not going to continue, and there are far more options for dealing with illness than I ever knew about before. Most of these illnesses resolve easily in most kids anyway, and the more I know about how to support them through it, the less likely we'll have serious consequences from the disease itself.

Oh, and it sounds like you need a new doctor. Firing the first one is hard, but after that it's easier. We like family practice doctors, they're usually more laid-back about the whole vaccination thing.
#4 of 15 Old 12-05-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful~Life View Post
Once you start vaxing if you decide to stop is that okay??

My girls are 2 and 4 so they have already had quite a bit of vaccinations. After my youngest has her last one she had a very bad reaction to it and after reading up on vaccinations I just don't know if I feel comfortable continuing. I feel like I have to though. My Ped. is very forceful about it and was telling me if I don't vax my girls won't be able to go to any pre-schools or public schools when they are older. Is this true?
My oldest three had some vaccinations, and the younger four none. As mentioned by PP, the previous shots don't rely on newer shots for anything. Basically, they are boosters.

It is absolutely not true that you must be vaxed for schools. I had four kids in school before I decided to homeschool them all, and while the school had never seen an exemption form, there wasn't a big deal given over it. I think every state has some kind of exemption.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#5 of 15 Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
But for religious, you'll need to stop all vaccinating, because it's the _practice_ of vaccination that is key, not individual vaccines.
Cool info about the states, I wasn't sure. But I do know that it's not true that you must deny all vax for a religious exemption. Some people will deny only those vax that have fetal tissue, for example. I know a few Catholics like that, they'll still do some, but not others. I can't recall which ones, but I remember being surprised.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#6 of 15 Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Cool info about the states, I wasn't sure. But I do know that it's not true that you must deny all vax for a religious exemption. Some people will deny only those vax that have fetal tissue, for example. I know a few Catholics like that, they'll still do some, but not others. I can't recall which ones, but I remember being surprised.
But that's the thing--my understanding is that the courts have defined a religious objection to vaccination as meaning the _practice_ of vaccination, not ingredients, even if common sense says that some people would be religiously opposed to only certain ingredients (like the fetal tissue issue, for example). It's a legal definition of religious objection (which I find very strange)--some states seem to even try to trip people up by asking them to explain their religious objection and if they talk about ingredients, their objection is defined as philosophical rather than religious, and they're denied. It's a really odd system, we really need pick-and-choose philosophical exemptions for all the states (like TX) or better yet, take away the 'required-for-school-attendance' thing altogether.
#7 of 15 Old 12-05-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Nope. You can't do a religious exemption on that. Philosophical- you can. Religious exemptions must be to the practice of vaccination.

-Angela
#8 of 15 Old 12-05-2008, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the info. and support, I really appreciate it!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#9 of 15 Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 PM

Well, your Dr is either ignorant or lying to you. Every state but WV and MS has at least a religious exemption; 22 other states also have philosophical exemptions. Read my siggy:.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#10 of 15 Old 12-07-2008, 07:39 PM

your doctor is not giving you the facts,but i do know that in nh and mass
you cannot use a exemption and show that they had some vaccines
just dont mention and use your exemption form ,never had any problems.:th
#11 of 15 Old 12-07-2008, 07:48 PM

you also may be able to get medical exemption if your child had a reation,
but your doctor probably does not think she had one. have him sign a written
note that your child will be safe (ya like he might) also i agree
try a family practice they are more laid back about shots.
#12 of 15 Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
your doctor is not giving you the facts,but i do know that in nh and mass
you cannot use a exemption and show that they had some vaccines
just dont mention and use your exemption form ,never had any problems.:th
This is not true; for the purposes of a religious exemption you can have an epiphany at anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
you also may be able to get medical exemption if your child had a reation,
but your doctor probably does not think she had one. have him sign a written
note that your child will be safe (ya like he might) also i agree
try a family practice they are more laid back about shots.
Medical exemptions are only for the vax that causes the reaction or perhaps against live or those cultured in chicken eggs. All vax not covered by the exemption (in the unlikely event that she could get one) would still be required.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#13 of 15 Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
But that's the thing--my understanding is that the courts have defined a religious objection to vaccination as meaning the _practice_ of vaccination, not ingredients, even if common sense says that some people would be religiously opposed to only certain ingredients (like the fetal tissue issue, for example). It's a legal definition of religious objection (which I find very strange)--some states seem to even try to trip people up by asking them to explain their religious objection and if they talk about ingredients, their objection is defined as philosophical rather than religious, and they're denied. It's a really odd system, we really need pick-and-choose philosophical exemptions for all the states (like TX) or better yet, take away the 'required-for-school-attendance' thing altogether.
Thanks for the good info Tanya!

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#14 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 04:46 AM

My oldest is partially (mostly) vaxed and after a reaction (which, of course, the dr said was comepletely normal and not really a reaction) to the 1st MMR we stopped. Our youngest is unvaxed and I couldn't very well be against vax for her and not protect him too. It is completely up to you and your dr can say whatever. Just a head's up that you may find yourself butting heads too much with this one and you'll have to find another.

Oh, and when I fill out their exemptions I never write down that he had any vax at all. We use a philo exemption but, just to be safe, I make theirs identical. Saves me having to carry around his old shot record too.
#15 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 04:57 PM

You can go to http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm - and see each states exemption and what forms to fill out.

You can decide to stop vaxing at ANYTIME. Just like the other post - you may have a "religious epiphany" at anytime and choose to no longer vaccinate. The great thing for someone like me...is that it doesn't specify religion...so I don't feel guilty or like I'm lying...I did have an epiphany - I became aware of the risks and do not vax at all.

Do not let any pediatrician make you feel bullied into vaxing. IMO, I wouldn't go to any pediatrician that made me feel uncomfortable or wouldn't talk to me about both sides of the picture...many drs are more concerned about future lawsuits than immediate harm that can occur to children. They have the $$ of the pharmacuetical companies behind them if they are pro vaxing and nothing behind them if they don't follow these companies.

Just make sure you do what you feel is best and stick to it. My husband backed down and ended up vaxing his son (previous marriage)...it was a contaminated vax...about 8-10 children were affected...the vax wasn't made correctly and all the children suffered. The pharmaceutical companies gave a big oops...and now its been litigation for over 7 yrs. They have so much $$ that they will counter every claim until these children are over 20. It's so sad. And our DS will never recover...but he is a lovely sweet boy. My DH beats himself up about it almost every day.

With our son (28 months) we swore we'd never vax. I started reading up on exemptions even before he was born. Check the link out that I sent. It has great info on each state and will direct you to further info in your area.

HTH,
Jen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page