Kicked out of ped office... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to find out if our ped office can legally do that? At my twins 12 month check up, had a conversation with the ped and in a nutshell said that their main reason for being there (the doctor) is to vax children. And if we were going to keep butting heads, then he would have to ask us to not continue coming.

I am in South Carolina (recently moved here from Atlanta, where we never had a problem with our ped there - loved her). Besides the fact that we don't like it here and are moving again very soon - what can I do in the meantime? This was one of the only offices in the area that was accepting of non-vaxers. Now there policy has 'changed' in the past month or so.

I had to go see them a few weeks ago for a sick visit and since I hadn't established another doc, I went back there. Saw another doctor in the practice (there are 3), and in a not so obvious way he basically apologized for the other doc and said we are welcome to continue going there.
So I guess I just should only see that doc and avoid the other one? It just completely took me by surprise b/c I never had a problem in Atlanta. I felt so isolated and alone - it was very difficult. I was proud of myself for not losing control and for standing my ground (I do not do well with confrontation!).

In the future, for my own knowledge - are there laws protecting my kids from being 'kicked out'?

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#2 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 01:04 AM

They can kick you out. BUT, they have to basically refer you to someone else.

good luck!

-Angela
#3 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Look for a family practitioner, a DO, a homeopath, or ask a midwife or chiropractor in the area. Or go to a local LLLI for referrals.

Sorry you are having problems. It is hard enough to move with a baby without having a doctor growl at you for doing your own research. s
#4 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 01:35 AM

If they haven't provided you something in writing saying you're no longer welcome with them, then I'd assume they'll still see you for sick visits or if you otherwise really need them. I think they need to give you 30 days to find a new doctor (maybe they need to help refer you too?) but since you say you're not planning to be in the area very long, I'd just try to ride it out and treat as much at home as you can. It's a pain to deal with this attitude, sorry you have to.
#5 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
They can kick you out. BUT, they have to basically refer you to someone else.

good luck!

-Angela
I actually think that is only theoretically since I know many people who have been kicked out with no referrals!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
I am trying to find out if our ped office can legally do that? At my twins 12 month check up, had a conversation with the ped and in a nutshell said that their main reason for being there (the doctor) is to vax children. And if we were going to keep butting heads, then he would have to ask us to not continue coming.

I am in South Carolina (recently moved here from Atlanta, where we never had a problem with our ped there - loved her). Besides the fact that we don't like it here and are moving again very soon - what can I do in the meantime? This was one of the only offices in the area that was accepting of non-vaxers. Now there policy has 'changed' in the past month or so.

I had to go see them a few weeks ago for a sick visit and since I hadn't established another doc, I went back there. Saw another doctor in the practice (there are 3), and in a not so obvious way he basically apologized for the other doc and said we are welcome to continue going there.
So I guess I just should only see that doc and avoid the other one? It just completely took me by surprise b/c I never had a problem in Atlanta. I felt so isolated and alone - it was very difficult. I was proud of myself for not losing control and for standing my ground (I do not do well with confrontation!).

In the future, for my own knowledge - are there laws protecting my kids from being 'kicked out'?
Sorry you are going through this!! It is definitely not an uncommon thing. Happened to me just last month. Well I guess technically we weren't kicked out, but since i refused to sign their "bad mommy" form we were no longer welcome so I chose to leave. Bet you can't wait to move!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 02:11 PM

We were kicked out and got a letter in the mail, but no referral.
#8 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 05:11 PM

I don't really have any advice for you, but I just wanted to send hugs. How stressful! That's really not fair; it's a parent's choice. I guess I'm lucky that it hasn't happened to me...because I'd probably get into huge trouble going to the local newspapers to expose their infringement of my rights as a parent!

I would also reiterate going to LLL and seeing if someone can refer you to a better pedi. Also, do you guys have an urgent care clinic you may be able to attend during sick times until you move?

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#9 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 08:33 PM

I am sorry you have to deal with this.

When I was much younger and uninformed, a ped(referred from our midwife) said we had two choices...either vax,or find another ped.

Regretfully, we vaxed.

Never,ever again.A couple of dc later, and much more informed on vaxes and vpd....we will NEVER vax again.

I call it Medical/Pharma Bullying.

Personally, I say you are better off w/o them....go to urgent care, treat at home,etc. until you move.

Good Luck!!
A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#10 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 08:37 PM

We've seen a D.O. in a Family Practice Clinic for years - he been my doc for both pregnancies and is our doctor/kid's doctor for everything. He referrs us when we need it and his philosophy is "I give you the info. but you as the patient make the decisions."

Jenn
#11 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 PM

(ETA: Oops I posted a reply meant for another thread, sorry)

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#12 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 11:16 PM

well, I'm surprised the pediatrician was so honest. That is basically their only reason for existing. And you wonder why they push vaccinations so hard...

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#13 of 22 Old 12-07-2008, 12:09 AM

OP at least you know where you stand now and I'm very glad the other doc saw sense. I got kicked out of a docs for that once but met a very nice one straight away who the other doc had mentioned MIGHT just see my kids and myself.
#14 of 22 Old 12-07-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
Besides the fact that we don't like it here and are moving again very soon - what can I do in the meantime?
If you're moving soon...I say do nothing until you move. Lots of illnesses can be treated at home without a doctors visit.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#15 of 22 Old 12-08-2008, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies for the encouragement and support

We usually treat at home first anyways - homeopathics, herbs, etc... I did get a pm from another mom reccomending me to another doc in my area, so I will look into that.

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#16 of 22 Old 12-08-2008, 01:00 AM

Hello,

I wish I had advice but wanted to let you know that I recently had the same experience with our pediatrician. We of course no longer see him, so his trying to bully us into getting vaccinated did not work. At first I was royaly ticked but now I can see that this was obviously the best thing. I need a supportive doctor. Or at least one who will give me credit for having a brain and trying to do what is best for my children.

:s::
#17 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercupmama View Post
We were kicked out and got a letter in the mail, but no referral.
Yep, us too. And I've seen lots of similar posts very recently ... I smell a national trend brewing.

Pediatricians are going to put themselves right out of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariekannairb View Post

At first I was royaly ticked but now I can see that this was obviously the best thing. I need a supportive doctor. Or at least one who will give me credit for having a brain and trying to do what is best for my children.
:

I am thrilled to say that we are now with a family practitioner who seems to embody all that posted above. Wish I'd switched years ago!

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#18 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 PM

Sorry you're having to deal with that! If you feel up to it, write a review of the practice on a site like Rate MDs and/or Yelp so that others can know to avoid that doctor.

Maybe if enough vax-or-nothing doctors lose patients this way, they'll revise their business model.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#19 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 12:54 PM

Please vote with your wallet and take you business someplace else-and let others know why! I agree, I come across a bullying Doctor- I will make sure I leave my impression on a rating board etc, even if it is just online- that might help someone else.

And I also make sure I talk about those Docs I like=they are out there. Please don't put up with cr** like that, go find someone else. You pay somebody for their services, one way or another- there is no room for being berated for exercising simple parental rights.
#20 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 01:03 PM

moms, i need help please! i am a new mother to a 6 month old healthy baby boy. yesterday at his check up the doc pushed on his soft spot and he then cried. he's been fine ever since, but i am worried that the doc pushed too hard. does anyone have experience with this and if its normal for doc to push hard on soft spot while checking it??
#21 of 22 Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 PM

Why do you have to go to ped office? really thats all there capable of
doing is vaccinations, try a family practice.
#22 of 22 Old 12-12-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
If you feel up to it, write a review of the practice on a site like Rate MDs and/or Yelp so that others can know to avoid that doctor.
I reviewed the pediatrician we had, but I'm wondering if there won't be repercussions for it. What do you think? Considering what a pig he turned into when he found out we weren't vaccinating, I'd expect anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page