Unvaccinated Kids Catch Colds More Easily?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 12-13-2008, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJJ View Post
How could they have a vax for the common cold? isn't every cold different, even if you get the same symptoms? Do you think that if one of you guys were a pediatrician that they would believe you?
I *know* they would. It's why they bring their baby to the doctor at every sign of illness...because doctors know everything and will either make it better or ease any fears they have. If I were a ped. my sil would either be coming to me for advice or arguing that her doctor said such and such that is different from what I'm saying. She has an unbelievable amount of blind faith in doctors.

I did kind of mention today (we were picking kiddos up at the same time) that K never caught Junior's cold..even though she stuck his binky in her mouth at the height of his fever...muwhahaha..just stirring the embers there you know...
#32 of 38 Old 12-17-2008, 01:18 AM

ds1 seemed to always be healthier than my nephews and niece who are fully vaxed, and my mil has said the same....but it's hard to make true comparisons since they eat SAD and have (unfortunately) had very stressful lives thus far and spend more time around other children than ds1 does.

i think though, that unvaxed children who seem unhealthy, sick all the time etc, there are other things at play there. both my ds have a ton of food intolerances, but this is due to my passing on candida and leaky gut to them. most of the immune system is based in the gut, so i wonder if these sickly unvaxed children just have damaged guts.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#33 of 38 Old 12-17-2008, 06:22 PM

That's a common thing for people to believe, but I didn't know doctors believed it. My friend's daycare tried to tell her she couldn't use an exemption because unvaccinated kids get too many colds and make the other kids sick all the time. And when we told the nurse at our last ped visit (new ped) that we didn't vax she said, "And how is that for you?" (or something else weird like that). When I asked her what she meant she said, "Well, does she get sick a lot?" Uh, judging by the fact that we've had zero sick visits in 18 months, I guess not.
#34 of 38 Old 12-19-2008, 01:56 AM

My 3 year old is up to date on vaxxes, my 1 year old hasn't had any since the 2 month rounds. Neither of my kids get sick very often. Vaxxed DS has has four colds in his life, and one mild case of rotavirus. (He didn't have the rota vax) Unvaxxed DD has had three colds in her life.

My friend, who's kids are both fully vaxxed are ALWAYS sick with something. Ear infections, croup, colds. You name it, they get it. Even when my kids play with her kids, my kids never end up getting what they've had.

I think the difference is less about vaxxes and more about lifestyle. When her kids are sick, they drag them out and about all over town, so they seem to stay sick longer and then pick up the next germ while their immune systems are still down. When my kids get sick, we stay at home and drink lots of OJ and take extra naps.
#35 of 38 Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I know a doctor who used to do tonsillectomies on every child he could cajol the parents into agreeing to the procedure with the reason that no tonsils = fewer colds.

Has anyone ever done a scientific study on this, or is this just his personal observation?
#36 of 38 Old 12-22-2008, 03:09 PM

QUOTE=Pandme;12746260]My experience is that every vaxxed kid I know walks around with the perpetual sniffles and phlegm-y cough all winter long and my kid, while he catches the occasional cold, is the opposite. In fact, he's so healthy that my mom wonders if on the rare occasions his nose runs whether it means he's getting sick (it usually doesn't). Meanwhile, there are kids in our playgroups who are coughing and sniffling for weeks and weeks.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But I do sah with ds and if he has the slightest sniffle/fever, we do not go out in public. But ds rarely gets sick anyway.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#37 of 38 Old 12-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
My experience is that every vaxxed kid I know walks around with the perpetual sniffles and phlegm-y cough all winter long and my kid, while he catches the occasional cold, is the opposite. In fact, he's so healthy that my mom wonders if on the rare occasions his nose runs whether it means he's getting sick (it usually doesn't). Meanwhile, there are kids in our playgroups who are coughing and sniffling for weeks and weeks.
Yes, yes and YES!!!!

I run a home daycare. All of my daycare kids are vaxed to the nines and they are ALWAYS sick. All winter long it is a 'snot-fest' here. It makes me insane.

My own kids, on the other hand have never been vaxed and "might" catch one cold all season that lasts about four days. And this is even with being around the "snot-fest" all winter.

Sorry, but I just can NOT believe that vaxed kids who have had their perfectly innate immune systems compromised are healthier than my kids. No way, no how.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#38 of 38 Old 12-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tell that to my ped, who always comments on how he NEVER sees my kids except for well baby/child checkups and always asks if they ever get sick! Yes, they get minor colds, no worse than any other child. And they've both had rotavirus, which they didn't need medical attention for. No real biggie. They are actually very healthy!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page