Unvaccinated Kids Catch Colds More Easily?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our kiddos go to Grandma's for day care. It's a sweet arrangement because J just hops on the bus there and K gets to hang out with Grammama all day. MIL also watches a 1 year old cousin (dp bro's ds) so he and K have a great time.

Cousin has a cold right now that is a real whopper. SIL took him to the doctor (because they always do) and dr confirmed it was a heavy-duty cold and then (according to her) he said that unvaxed kids get colds more easily and become sicker than vaxed ones. Urgh!
She told this to dp and he basically told her that there are no vaccines for the common cold and that it was a ridiculous statement.
K is one of the healthiest kids I know and their dc comes down with everything single thing that comes around.
I'm totally venting here, but it just irks me that they believe this crap just because a doctor says it.

I told Grandma today that I want to know if they get any live vaccines because I'll keep K home. Shedders.....
#2 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That will be the next vax they come out with....Vax for the common cold because you know the common cold is DANGEROUS!!!!!!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 02:15 PM

Talk about ignorance. Worse yet, from a doctor. I had the cold almost every week of my childhood and I was vaccinated. My cousins hardly ever got sick and weren't vaccinated. Of course, I was lactose intolerant too and it went undiagnosed for years, so that was part of the problem, but again, my cousins didn't get sick unvaccinated. They got the VPDs and came through just fine. And they were brought up on the SAD which isn't healthy. So much for big bad VPDs.
#4 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 02:37 PM

not in my experience.
#5 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 03:07 PM

Not in my experience either. In fact I find my kids are sick a lot LESS than the vax'd kids and when they do get sick they seem to be able to get over it a lot faster.

Just my experience.
#6 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 03:13 PM

My experience is unvax'd kids get sick less.

Orthodox Mama
#7 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 03:43 PM

I would definitely think that unvaxed kids would get sick less because they have healthier immune systems. My family will also believe anything a Dr. says just because they're a Dr.
#8 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 04:18 PM

My experience is that every vaxxed kid I know walks around with the perpetual sniffles and phlegm-y cough all winter long and my kid, while he catches the occasional cold, is the opposite. In fact, he's so healthy that my mom wonders if on the rare occasions his nose runs whether it means he's getting sick (it usually doesn't). Meanwhile, there are kids in our playgroups who are coughing and sniffling for weeks and weeks.
#9 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 04:20 PM

Bs.
#10 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Like I said, our dd is one healthy kiddo (her bother and cousin both have colds that lands one in the er and leaves one with a 102 degree fever and she doesn't catch it) but since sil knows we don't vax she tries all the time to say something about it.

We talked to them before they had kids about some of the choices we were making ( they asked) and why. Now they ff, circ, vax, and cio. Because the dr says so.
I don't see any research to back up the anecdotal evidence that unvaxed kids actually seem healthier, but if I could I would certainly send it her way. Though it would probably get tossed aside along with the information on keeping a baby rearfacing to at least 1.

blah
#11 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaduck View Post
My experience is unvax'd kids get sick less.
Yep, our experience,too!
#12 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 08:41 PM

In my anecdotal experience my vaxed kid is much healthier than my unvaxed one. Doesn't change my views however about not vaxing.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#13 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 PM

That's the silliest thing I ever heard, with zero evidence to back it up.
#14 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 09:06 PM

I have one child who is fully vaxed to age 2. The rest of my children are 100% vax-free. None of my children hardly ever get sick and when they do, they bounce back so quickly and rarely stay sick for long at all. However, as a young child my vaxed kiddo had ear infections and chest colds one right after the other, all year long. After he hadn't been vaxed for a few years he stopped being sick all the time and has been wonderfully healthy ever since.
#15 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 10:02 PM

wait her vaxed kid went to the doctor with a bad cold and her doctor told her unvaxed kids get sick more what sense does that make.. why would that even come up?
#16 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 11:12 PM

I have vaxed kids and unvaxed kids and they get sick about the same. I think it has a lot more to do with diet and exposure, and genetic resistance, than to injections.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#17 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 PM

: That's funny stuff! Not true in our house.
#18 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 11:30 PM

My unvaxed kids hardly caught anything till they went to school, my ds still doesn't catch colds much.
#19 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 11:53 PM

If they want to comment, then I would just simply ask, "then why is it that your kid (or SIL's child, if speaking to grandparent) is always sick and mine isn't?"

Orthodox Mama
#20 of 38 Old 12-07-2008, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
wait her vaxed kid went to the doctor with a bad cold and her doctor told her unvaxed kids get sick more what sense does that make.. why would that even come up?
She likes to talk to her dr about the (horrible, no good, very bad) choices we are making so that she can feel better about her own choices. I'd like to think they do not go hand in hand. She makes her choices and we make ours. Basically, she probably mentioned to the dr that K (since they are together all day) was unvaxed for whatever reason. We used to have our kids in the same practice with different docs until mine told me there was no way to increase milk supply and that I'd have to supp with formula.

I swear, this sounds like such a vent (well, I guess it is) I'm just really floored by this because it's probably a common occurence everywhere.
#21 of 38 Old 12-07-2008, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaduck View Post
If they want to comment, then I would just simply ask, "then why is it that your kid (or SIL's child, if speaking to grandparent) is always sick and mine isn't?"
I just wish they'd say these things to me. It's always dp or mil. Dp always stands up for our kids though. He's pretty much awesome like that.

At least Grandma is very on board with our choices. I mentioned this exchange to her (I guess sil had also talked to her because she knew about it before I said anything) and she just kind of shrugged like "what can you do". I did also warn her (in general) about the risk of a shedding vaccine. She is immunocompromised and I would hate to see her get sick.
#22 of 38 Old 12-07-2008, 04:09 AM

i think its kind of funny that the doctor told her that unvaxed children are more likely to get sick while she is in the office with her sick vaccinated child and you are at home with your healthy unvaxed child. did he not see the of that comment. not to mention vax doesn't like carry over or anything.. getting vaccinated for whopping cough doesn't make you immune to the common cold (or whooping cough for that matter)

and yikes about the supplementing. sometimes (ok a lot of times) i wonder how these people make it out of their front door .. let alone med school
#23 of 38 Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 PM

If I am giving the doc the benefit of the doubt here, (which is a long shot, because it seems like most docs and nurses just don't actually know anything about vaccines or illness or health), perhaps it is that he only sees unvaxed children IF they are REALLY sick. I'll bet that, on average, parents who don't vaccinate also don't rush to the doc at the first sign of an illness. And anyone who has done her research would know that the doc's office is the last place anyone who has a cold should be, so such a person would only take her children there if she suspected a complication such as pneumonia. Just my thoughts on it.
#24 of 38 Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacesmum View Post
If I am giving the doc the benefit of the doubt here, (which is a long shot, because it seems like most docs and nurses just don't actually know anything about vaccines or illness or health), perhaps it is that he only sees unvaxed children IF they are REALLY sick. I'll bet that, on average, parents who don't vaccinate also don't rush to the doc at the first sign of an illness. And anyone who has done her research would know that the doc's office is the last place anyone who has a cold should be, so such a person would only take her children there if she suspected a complication such as pneumonia. Just my thoughts on it.
:
#25 of 38 Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 AM

i like that. he thinks unvaxed kids get sick more b/c he only sees them when they are sick. its a good point.. but its funny b/c thats sort of the point of a doctor. i have never been a big fan of the doctor lookie lookie my baby is healthy!
#26 of 38 Old 12-09-2008, 11:56 AM

FWIW

My 2 oldest are adopted and fully vaxed before they came to our home. They get sick ALL THE FREAKING TIME. Drives me batty.

My two youngest have never been vaxed. They RARELY get sick, and when they do they bounce fantastically well. Youngest did just get an ear infection, but there's a huge history of genetic ear probs (DH is deaf) and it's more related to how her ears are formed than anything else.

Otherwise it's the same diet, same exposures, same everything. The only real difference health wise is who is vax'd and who isn't.

So vent away mama, that doesn't make sense at ALL!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#27 of 38 Old 12-09-2008, 12:22 PM

I've actually been told that before - by a dr. Ignorance abounds.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#28 of 38 Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 PM

my doctor actually told me the opposite, when my dd was around 2 mos and then again around 4 mos and we declined any of the vaxes those visits he said to me... most of the completely unvaxed kids are some of the healthiest kids he's ever had the pleasure of caring for.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#29 of 38 Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 PM

That doesn't sound right at all and it hasn't been my experience. My vax'd child has had lots of cold, stomache flus, mysterious fevers and viruses. My two less and unvaxed kids get nothing. My mostly vax'd son was the only one of the three who got the flu last year!

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#30 of 38 Old 12-11-2008, 09:46 PM

Eh, thats bs, but really I've seen a bit of both worlds...and really, IME it depends on other factors. Vaccinating really doesn't have much to do with it.

Example, I have two friends (well more than 2 but for this arguement...)

Friend A has 2 kids, both 100% unvaxed, both EBF, healthy-ish diet...sickest freaking kids I've ever met in my life...they are constantly sniffing and sneezing and coughing and hacking...runny nose...

Friend B has 3 kids, all 100% vaxed on schedule, all ebf'ed, healthy-ish diet...healthy as horses the lot of them

Then me, 2 kids, not vaxed, ebf'ed, healthy-ish diet...healthy as horses.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page