What did I sign??! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD had her 6 month WC this past week and we are not vaccinating her. Her 2 and 4 mo. appts went OK, some slight pressure but nothing serious. This time though, I'm not sure if they thought I was going to change my mind or what, but our ped was very stern this time and leaves the room, comes back with this form. I was so anxious anyway by that time after the lecturing I'd received and I'm not good with confrontation either. I was trying to get DD dressed and she produces this form she wants me to sign. She continues her lecture saying how strongly she believes in vaccines, etc. I seriously just glanced at the form, saw it had line by line each vaccine and had a box checked saying I declined them. I signed and she signed and that was that. I wonder though, what the heck else did that form say? I know this sounds highly stupid of me to not read what I was signing but like I said, it was an awkward situation and I was really anxious.

Anyone seen one of these forms and what exactly did I sign? I was going to call and ask for a copy of it but seriously I don't want to stir it all up again. I really think we are the only one in the practice that is not vaxx'ing and I'm sure they are all talking about us and how I'm a bad mother, etc. To top it off, one of the peds in the group is married to a good friend of mine. I'm sure he now knows I'm not vaxx'ing - last time I saw him he wouldn't even speak to me. Seriously.

So, can anyone enlighten me as to what this form may have said?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-06-2008, 06:12 PM

Call the ped's office and ask that they make a copy of it and send it to you ASAP.

Sounds like the AAP's "Bad Parent" form *eyeroll* where it says that you understand that the doctor is covering his/her a## this form 'cause your DC "could" die if you don't vaccinate. Course they won't sign a form that says your DC will be 100% fine if you DO vaccinate- or that they will assume financial responsibility if something bad were to happen. (sorry- vent over)

HUGS- I hate how they make us sign things under duress. I realize that no one held a gun to your head- but when a new mom is flustered and dealing with serious ped pressure and a baby at the same time AND being asked to sign a form is just BAD practice skills in my opinion. I've been there too- except I pissed off the doctor 'cause I added my own 'box' about how being a conscious, intelligent parent that has made an educated decision for my child in no way indicates that I'm a bad parent or that I am in any way neglecting my child/ren. The doc still signed it though.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#3 of 14 Old 12-07-2008, 01:14 PM

It may be the 'bad mommy' form. I agree that you should ask for a copy. I read and re-read the form before signing and I loathed putting my signature on it. I even told them which line I didn't agree with at all. But I signed it because I had to for our DD to even be looked at there and because my DH didn't agree with my decision not to vaccinate at the time. He's come around by now and the doctor got rid of us immediately because I was firm about my choice. In the end we were left without a doctor and me signing something I didn't agree with. If I could do it all over again, I'd tell him to shove his form where the sun doesn't shine, pick up my baby, and march out of there.
#4 of 14 Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ah yes....the bad mommy form

Many of us have signed the form under duress or have signed it while fighting off a panic attack while sweating profusly and just wanting to get OUT of there. (I did that at the 2 and 4 month appts) At the 6 mont appt I refused to sign the "new" form she trotted out which was way worse that what I had signed previously. I told her I would need to make some changes to the form and she told me that unless I signed it "as is" than we could no longer be treated there....Oh well BYE BYE......

I feel for you and have been there, but seriously do not allow yourself to be bullied. I would call and ask for a copy. At your next visit I would change/ammend the form you signed to suit your needs and if that is not allowed I'd hightail it outta there fast!! And if your friend and the husband won't speak to you because you don't vaccinate your child then you are better off not being friends with them! I mean seriuosly!!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 14 Old 12-08-2008, 01:09 AM

Funnny enough, I think it was the doctor's bullying that finally got him to listen to me. So they lose for trying to be dictators.
#6 of 14 Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I googled the AAP form and it looked similar to what I signed. I called this morning to ask for a copy of what I signed and the receptionist was a complete moron and apparently had no clue what I was talking about so I had to leave a message with the nurse. I'm interested to see it. It really ticks me off that my ped threw this at me. But in truth, it was my fault I didn't completely read what I was signing.

Thanks again
#7 of 14 Old 12-08-2008, 02:08 PM

Just don't beat yourself up over it. They've played this game before and many of us haven't. Just consider yourself better prepared for future encounters.
#8 of 14 Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingnatural2 View Post
To top it off, one of the peds in the group is married to a good friend of mine. I'm sure he now knows I'm not vaxx'ing - last time I saw him he wouldn't even speak to me. Seriously.
Wow...isn't that a HIPPA violation?? The staff at the doctor's office has no right to talk about your child's medical status to anyone other than someone you have approved beforehand. I would call them on it (if you can get the friend to admit it somehow).

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#9 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
Wow...isn't that a HIPPA violation?? The staff at the doctor's office has no right to talk about your child's medical status to anyone other than someone you have approved beforehand. I would call them on it (if you can get the friend to admit it somehow).
Well, yeah, probably. This office is set up weird, imo. There's a common place where the nurses and dr.'s "hang out" and do whatever dr's do in between patients. Anyway, I'm *sure* when my ped left to get the dreaded form, she told the nurse to do it, he was standing there, heard the whole thing, etc. He thought were were doing a delayed schedule, which is what we were going to do but the more research I did, we decided to not do any. He was already bent out of shape about that because he is 1,000% pro-vax.

In the visit with my dr. before she gave me the form, I expressed concern over him knowing about our decision to not vax, because I didn't want him to tell his wife (which would be a huge HIPPA violation) and have it get around our playgroup.

My friend - the dr.'s wife - knows. I'm sure of it. She specifically asked me the other day how Annika's shots have been going and if we were going every month and when we would be caught up.

(sigh), I wish it didn't have to be so difficult. Why can't people just accept (or better yet stay out of) parent's own personal decisions regarding their own children?
#10 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingnatural2 View Post
My friend - the dr.'s wife - knows. I'm sure of it. She specifically asked me the other day how Annika's shots have been going and if we were going every month and when we would be caught up.
I would report that guy immediately to the state medical board. That's blatant violation of federal law, not to mention medical ethics. Sounds like you might lose a friendship over the non-vaxing thing anyway.

Also, I suggest that you provide a dated, handwritten and signed note explaining that you signed a Refusal to Vaccinate form under extreme duress, and that you now OBJECT to the form, and that you do NOT agree to the information in the form. Demand that they add it to your child's medical record. It will supercede the RtV form.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#11 of 14 Old 12-11-2008, 02:38 AM

http://www.vaccinerights.com/vaccinerefusalforms.html

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#12 of 14 Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 AM

Mine is partially vaccinated. He is about 14 mo. and has only completed the DTaP series so far. Is one of these forms coming my way in the future? Am not familiar with it. What should I do if that happens?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#13 of 14 Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 AM

I wouldn't sign anything, period. You're NOT legally obligated to do so (though it may be their office policy), and a RtV form is not considered a legal document (according to the AAP).

From the link posted above:

Quote:
First, never sign anything you don’t agree with, and never allow yourself to be pressured into signing anything before you’ve taken as much time as you need to fully understand what you’re signing. You could draw a line through and initial sections you disagree with, though physicians may not accept such a modification of their form. If you are coerced into signing a form that you later regret having signed, consider sending a follow-up letter withdrawing your agreement, ...
I flatly refused to sign the form, and was promptly dismissed from the practice.
Best thing that ever could have happened to me and my kids ... they see a wonderful FP now who doesn't seem likely to bully me into anything. And we don't have endless arguments about vaccines - he knows my position, and agrees that the decision is MINE to make.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#14 of 14 Old 12-11-2008, 01:18 PM

That's where I was lied to. I was told the law required it for them to see me. So even though I was emotionally and mentally together at the time, and I knew I didn't agree with it, I was still led to believe I had no choice. Even though we haven't been to him since then, 4+ months ago, I'm going to think up a retraction letter anyway, just for my peace of mind.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page