Lecture from doc= pedoff momma response! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-06-2008, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds had a run in with the hard part of our couch, causing his glasses to cut into his upper eyelid. We put ice on it, got the bleeding under control, calmed him down. Then, he started to get sleepy. I was concerned that he maybe had a concussion, so called his doctor-and got the doctor on call.

This doctor was very nice, confirmed that we handled everything right,that he wasn't at risk for concussion, and it didn't sound like he needed stitches.

Then....she said the only thing she would be concerned about was him getting tetanus. Say what? Then, said we *did* have him updated on his vaxes? Being on the phone, I should have said,yeah! But, noooo. I say our dc have an exemption and are not vaxed.

No more nice doctor. And...no more nice mommy.: This doctor proceeded to ask me if I was aware of the dangers of not vaxing,and that here in our city, have been breakouts of measles,whooping cough, and once ya get tetanus,ya can't take it back.

Sorry, doc picked the wrong day to lecture this momma. With a very deep breath, I informed her that most people who choose not to vax, do not make the decision lightly, and are well informed about the diseases the vaxes are made to prevent,and informed on how tocare for our dc,should they become sick with a vpd. I told her I always tell docs,so if my dc IS sick with a "vpd", the docs don't miss it. And, once you get a vax, you can't take that back,either!

I informed her that my ds's doctor w/i the practice,has been very supportive of having us in the practice. But this conversation was leaving a very bad impression.And I hung up.

I am soooo looking for a new doc. Just sick of this type of harrassment.

Maybe I will try to find an older DO.

I guess I posted this, as I woke up with huge personal issues going on,and didn't feel like I had a lot of confidence today. Ha! I found my voice when I was about to get the lecture on vaxes.Do *not* tell *me* bs about vaxes.

We have voices mommas,and they come out-for me, my mamabear comes out-and I quickly find my voice. I do pick my battles, but I don't take bs from a gp on call. No way. Never.

Monique
#2 of 9 Old 12-06-2008, 08:02 PM

sorry you had to deal with that. It seems like pretty much any broken skin results in the whole tetanus vax discussion.
#3 of 9 Old 12-06-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
sorry you had to deal with that. It seems like pretty much any broken skin results in the whole tetanus vax discussion.
Thanks.
#4 of 9 Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 PM

Pretty soon doctors will be recommending tetanus vaccines every time you get a hangnail.

Way to stay strong, mama. It's about time these bullies learned that they work for you, you know?

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#5 of 9 Old 12-07-2008, 01:41 PM

I know all too well that personality shift. Good for you being firm with her.
#6 of 9 Old 12-07-2008, 02:20 PM

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#7 of 9 Old 12-07-2008, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You go!!

that also goes to show you this doc is a total moron that knows nothing about Tetnus and how one gets it!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 9 Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 PM

he though your son would get tetanus b/c his glasses cut his upper eyelid? oh for cripes sake what a
#9 of 9 Old 12-07-2008, 09:04 PM

Way to stay strong. You are your children's only advocates, though it can be so emotionally draining to always be fighting up stream. I'm sorry you went through that. Have you thought about typing up a letter of complaint? I've always had great luck with that and awesome response. Just a thought.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page