Charging $ for ped interview? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this could go in the Pregnancy forum but I wanted information from those of you who had to shop around at great length to find a no-vax friendly doc.

I've done 3 so far that were free and then one office I just called said it was $35! I was like no way am I paying to find out if I want YOU to work for ME. But, now I'm wondering if I'm missing out on a good doc.

What is your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 06:51 PM

We did not have to pay to interview our pediatrician, and are very fortunate to have him. I don't know if this is the norm, but he was the first pediatrician we interviewed.

Have you liked any of the other three?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ive had to interview 2...both I did over the phone so it was free. Not sure if I had gone into the office if they would have charged??

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:12 PM

No help here. I've never interviewed a ped. I always just made an appointment and felt them out from there.

Hope you find a good doc soon!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 PM

Can you just ask on the phone if they accept non-vax patients? That would save you the hassle of meeting with the ones that won't.

-Angela
Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 PM

We've interviewed four and were never asked to pay. I wouldn't pay to interview a doctor; they don't work for me yet.

But I agree that you should find out whether they even accept patients who won't vax before you make the appointment. It saved me a few wasted visits. Good luck!

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 12-09-2008, 01:59 PM

That's fishy and ridiculous. I was an Office Manager of a big Clinic and boy, would people chew me out if I was to ask for money in that circumstance....

That is not right, that will be the kind of Doctor that won't call you back in an Emergency, will be shielded by the front desk and you only get to speak the nurse...
35 Dollars is nuts, sorry. I wouldn't give him the money-what for? My Ped sheduled a brief interview during his LUNCHBREAK to show me around and make sure I am comfy with what he has to offer. I don't think you're missing out.

Go find someone else who doesn't feel the need to squeeze money out of you for no service at all.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 PM

If you expect face time with a Dr expect to pay for it. On the other hand I wouldn't use a Ped unless my child had a medical reason to need one.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:19 PM

I wouldn't pay for an interview but I don't think its out of line. I know several mws who charge for the interview. It is their time after all.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our new doctor scheduled consult/get-to-know-you visits at the end of her workday a few days a week, so I had to wait til she was done with her patients, but then we could talk for a reasonable amount of time. I want to be able to talk to a doctor before hiring them--otherwise I don't know what I'm getting, doctors aren't commodities like rice or beans. But I can see that some may feel so in-demand that they can charge for every minute of their time--in which case I probably won't be giving them my business if there are others around that I can talk with beforehand and that are somewhat compatible (or at least not in conflict) with my views.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:29 PM

I have interviewed several ped's in a couple different towns, and have NEVER had to pay. That is ridiculous. I am guessing that if they value you that little (as to charge YOU to make a decision about THEM) they are not going to be your best option.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 PM

It was standard practice around here to charge; that was back when I was interviewing peds back in late 2005. Around here you HAVE to interview, because there are so few peds around here who are vax flexible.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;

User Tag List