Every time DD gets sick...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I worry that I should vaccinate her. I mean it's all fine a dandy when she is well, no worries. She has been sick three times so far and last week her fever got pretty high. So in my mind I start to think about how it would be better to have a child who is living with an adverse vaccine reaction than to have her die. Both my mom (who has 6 healthy un-vaxed adult children) and my DH (who is also un-vaxed) tell me that this fear is irrational, and when her fever passes my fears go away.

So I am just wondering does anyone else have the same fears at times? If so what do you do to reassure yourself that you made the right decision. Thanks, Alicia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM

Unless she is getting diseases that have vaccines then her vax status is not relevant. Being vaccinated does not prevent colds, bronchitis, or fevers.

The temp of a fever is not bad in and of itself. My ds gets a 104 temperature every time he has a fever.

You should pick up "How to raise a healthy child in spite of your Dr." It's cheap and it will probably help you with this.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 12-10-2008, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It _is_ an irrational fear, but it can be hard to get past irrational fears.

One of the best things I've gotten from not vaccinating is the motivation to learn more and more about how to get us through illnesses without serious complications. And it's worked--my son's health isn't great, he was constantly ill for his first two fall/winter seasons (we had 4 or 5 healthy days in the Oct-midJan timeframe each year) but no complications. And I still have a ton to learn on how to support the body through illness! I've found knowledge is key. Get some ideas in H&H and try them out the next time someone is sick.

And if you're up for a lengthy read, this is a great thread on nutrition and the immune system:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=406983
Old 12-10-2008, 03:22 PM

Its that fear that drives parents to vaccinate. Pharma cos know this, just look at their ads. Their flu ad drives me bonkers. If you love someone you will get a flu shot. argh.

Everytime one of my kids gets Roseola I start to panic. Usually by day 5 of high fever I start thinking worse case. Usually not even a vpd but worse. Like diabetes or something else that is guaranteed to be life altering. Then the fever goes away and the spots come and I think, Stupid Roseola.

Educate yourself on how to deal with illnesses and how to tell when an illness is serious and when its not. Kids are gonna get sick, you have to accept that and vaxes aren't going to prevent even 1/10 of them I don't think. Just looking at what my kids have gotten and there is no vax for any of them except the wc. Last thing I dealt with was balanitis. All because I switched detergents. Look your child has gotten sick 3 times, recovered each time and none of those times was it a vpd. Her body worked the way it was supposed to, and a vaccine wouldn't have prevented the illnesses.

Just keep educating yourself but know that as a mother you will always want to protect your child. Its normal and natural. But sometimes they will get sick and thats normal and natural too. Like falling down while trying to walk. There will be scrapes and bruises along the way, thats ok.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I understand your fear....I had the same fear the first time DS got sick with a high fever, but PP's are correct. Vaccines do not protect against colds, flus, fevers and a whole lot of other things that kids come down with, so vaccinating your DD just because she gets a fever or comes down with something really doesn't make sense. I concentrate on boosting his immune system and when he does get sick I remind myself that it is only the immune system that is challeneged that has chance to grow strong. If he ever does get a VPD I will deal with it and get him through it just fine Im sure. Don't let your fears get the better of you!! Hang in there

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:08 PM

Every time your LO gets a fever, her body is working just like it's supposed to. I know it's scary but vaccines wouldn't do anything but interfere with the natural process of fighting disease. Instead of dwelling on the worst case scenarios, try to feel reassured that your daughter's body is doing what it needs to do to make her well again. Besides, if you were to add vaccines to the mix, maybe it wouldn't be so good at overcoming illness, KWIM?

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 PM

I have to say, I have a bit of that fear myself. I have 3 kids, first 2 completely vax'd. This time with our 6 mo. old I thought we would do a selective/delayed schedule so I got her the DTaP at 2 and 4 mo. because I was scared of pertussis and since have decided no more. This is all relatively new to me, even though I feel like I've researched it quite a bit and I know our bodies can heal on it's own, etc. is still scary when it's your child that's sick. And 99% of everyone else out there vax's and tells you how important it is, etc.

It would be so helpful to me if I knew someone, in real life that is not vax'ing. Or had a dr. who thought vax's weren't a good thing. Or even if there were ND's in our area or a Homeopath. Shoot, we have nothing around here, except for a bunch of money hungry peds and parents that give their kids every kind of drug and vaccine under the sun! lol Anyway, I just had to say I understand. (((hug)))
Old 12-11-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
Its that fear that drives parents to vaccinate. Pharma cos know this, just look at their ads. Their flu ad drives me bonkers. If you love someone you will get a flu shot. argh.

Everytime one of my kids gets Roseola I start to panic. Usually by day 5 of high fever I start thinking worse case. Usually not even a vpd but worse. Like diabetes or something else that is guaranteed to be life altering. Then the fever goes away and the spots come and I think, Stupid Roseola.

Educate yourself on how to deal with illnesses and how to tell when an illness is serious and when its not. Kids are gonna get sick, you have to accept that and vaxes aren't going to prevent even 1/10 of them I don't think. Just looking at what my kids have gotten and there is no vax for any of them except the wc. Last thing I dealt with was balanitis. All because I switched detergents. Look your child has gotten sick 3 times, recovered each time and none of those times was it a vpd. Her body worked the way it was supposed to, and a vaccine wouldn't have prevented the illnesses.

Just keep educating yourself but know that as a mother you will always want to protect your child. Its normal and natural. But sometimes they will get sick and thats normal and natural too. Like falling down while trying to walk. There will be scrapes and bruises along the way, thats ok.
When my son got roseola I freaked out too but it wasn't until my Dr. REMINDED me that we did not vax. I never even think about the fact we do not vax until someone brings it up when hes sick. Oh no, hes sick AND not vaccinated, he must have something deadly!

Try to ignore the irrational fears that the uninformed feed you. That fear is what pays the doctors and the pharmacutical industries mortgages and sports cars.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 AM

Having a vaccine-injured child, I can assure you that we have a lifetime of care dedicated to her. It is MUCH easier to nurse a child through a week of illness.

I do understand your fear, when we went the the pox party, I was very excited to get it out of the way. By day ten, I was freaking out. They didn't have it all together, two got it from the pox party, then three got it from them, and the baby got it last of all. We had over a month of the pox. And it was scary, but only because I had never been through it. Dh was raised unvaxed AND helping care for his younger sibs who came down with whatever...he had it easy ('course, he was at WORK most of the time )

We're also lucky in that our unschooling group is very vax relaxed, and dh's entire family doesn't vax, so it almost makes up for my dad and stepmom being nurses and supermedicated

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Unless she is getting diseases that have vaccines then her vax status is not relevant. Being vaccinated does not prevent colds, bronchitis, or fevers.
:

What diseases are you concerned about her getting? What diseases do you think she could *die* of?

-Angela
Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 PM

I am the same way...dd is sick now with a bad cold. She is 15 months. This is her 4th cold of her life and I freak out everytime.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hello everybody and thank you for you replies and words of encouragement . I will definitely get a copy of that book. No nothing she has got was a vpd, so you are all very right that her vax status doesn't matter in regards to her sickness. I'm sure that her body does a better job fighting these things off because she is not vaccinated. I'm not sure where my fear comes from, I myself am not vaccinated and am fine. When I got pregnant I researched all of the vaccines myself and there weren't any that I felt were necessary. I guess what I'm trying to say is I know I made the right decision, it's just hard to see my baby sick, especially if she got something we could have avoided. Of course it would be worse if she had a reaction from something that I deliberately injected into her body. So thank you all for letting me express myself, Alicia

User Tag List