Not vaccinating, and need support from someone... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have decided not to vaccinate my 7 month old son. As of today he not received one single shot. He has a cold right now, and I have felt completely comfortable with it and confident that his body will work it out. That is until my mother (who is a bit concerned about him not being vaccinated) sent me an article from our local paper about an outbreak of Pertussis a few towns away.
I feel really irritated with my mother about this. I have tried to pretty much tune out any (and there is a lot) of negative comments about my choice not to vaccinate. We live in such a fear controlled society. My instincts have told me that he is fine not being vaccinated. My mother sending me this email makes me question myself.
I'm just looking for some support from fellow non vaccinaters. I hate how, now when ever my son is sick SOMEONE is going to put the thought in my head that it is the scary disease he is not vaccinated for.
Does anyone else deal with this kind of stuff also? How do you overcome it and handle it? Any advice and support is greatly appreciated.
#2 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just keep reading and you'll become more comfortable.

Neither of my kids are vaxed.

-Angela
#3 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 12:45 AM

First, your son is over 6mo, so although a pain in the bum pertussis is not "scarey".
Second, try to reminf yourselfof all the choices you have made to make him healthy (i.e. breastfeeding, not smoking, no daycare) etc etc.
Third, there are alot "scarier" diseases that we dont have vaxes for (think RSV)
Finally, pertusis would be 100 days of hell...but vaxes can cause a lifetime of damage.

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
#4 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 AM

Momma,
You in KY? Cause my mom just called tonight to tell me the same thing except it's one case IN my town!! My ds is almost 4. The heeby-jeebies get easier and you do learn to shrug off the uneducated comments. Keep your head up. You will get stronger.

One easy point to look at is that your child could still get many if not all the bugs kids are vaxed for and you might not worry til it was too late because the vaxes should save us all, right? Think how many docs and parents dismiss ear infections, pertussis, even early signs of meningitis because a kid is vaxed.

You will learn, I believe, over time that these diseases have been built into monsters that they most often are not. And will begin to trust your instincts more that you can get through them if they come.

I worried alot more early on. Now as my son is getting older and can help me with his symptoms I feel better. It is good to learn the symptoms of all the common vax preventable diseases just so you can catch them early if you suspect one.

As for your mom, just tell her this decision has been one of soul searching and educating and you need her support not scare tactics. She's your mom, if she wants to love you she should lift you up. Tell her that. ( I know my mom probably thought I was crazy at first, but now she is at least at peace with our choice- she helped us through dd's severe reaction to her first shots years ago so she kind of gets it.) Now when she calls to tell me somebody has a bug it's more like a head's up to boost Vit. C or what not.

It will get easier. Stay here and stay learning. The mommas on this forum have saved my sanity often.
#5 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Banned

This makes me feel better:

Children who get the pertussis vaccine are like 5 times more likely to get asthma. That may be a vaccine side effect or just the result of never having the immune boosting (and lung strengthening) cough of pertussis.

"Vaccinated children were over five times more likely to suffer from asthma and twice as likely to have had ear infection than unvaccinated ones. In 1997 another retrospective study of 1934 patients born between 1975 and 1984 from one general practice in Oxfordshire showed that children vaccinated against pertussis were 75% more likely to develop asthma, hayfever and eczema later in life."

Odent MR. Culpin EE, Kiinel T. Pertussis vaccination and asthma: is there a link’ JAMA 1994;272:592-3

Verrall M, Pertussis vaccine linked to atopy. Pulse 1/5/99
#6 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 11:54 AM

The solution? More reading.

And take some Sodium Ascorbate for your ds, or you can mix it with bm and put it under his tongue with a dropper.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Welcome And yes, keep reading. The more you know about the vaccines and the diseases/viruses themselves, the more comfortable you will be. I have more info on my website, I suggest reading the archives here, and:

-Dr. Gordon's Vaccination DVD
-Aviva Jill Romm's Vaccination book (there are other great books also)
http://www.insidevaccines.com/wordpress

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#8 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have an unvaxed 7 month old son as well. As all the PP's have said, just hang in there and read read read and read some more. the more you learn the better you will feel. Come here for support whenever you need to!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#9 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 04:02 PM

My dd is 19 unvaxed and never got any of the VPD. Does that help at all?
#10 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 10:50 PM

sage, when my kids were young and they had a cold i actually think one
did have whooping cough when he was just 6 mths old my kids do
go to chiropractors since birth we believe it just helps the immune
system be stronger and they totally support our choice,also
dr mendelson books helped me alot my favorite one is :How to raise
a healthy child in spite of my doctor: also have your mother educate herself
there is another side she should read this book too he was a leading
ped in chicago for 30 yrs .

also i learned not to discuss my choices with people including our
inlaws. my parents did support me.

good luck
do not give in.
#11 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 PM

sage, when my kids were young and they had a cold i actually think one
did have whooping cough when he was just 6 mths old my kids do
go to chiropractors since birth we believe it just helps the immune
system be stronger and they totally support our choice,also
dr mendelson books helped me alot my favorite one is :How to raise
a healthy child in spite of my doctor: also have your mother educate herself
there is another side she should read this book too he was a leading
ped in chicago for 30 yrs .

also i learned not to discuss my choices with people including our
inlaws. my parents did support me.

good luck
do not give in.
#12 of 15 Old 12-11-2008, 11:22 PM

My mother supports me in my decision to no longer vaccinate, but I don't think she approves. If that makes sense. In other words, I don't often have to defend my choice. If I do, I usually say on of two things. I'll say that none of the diseases vaccinated against are deadly, and if worse comes to worse simply being an attentive parent will ensure quick treatment and a speedy recovery. I also, usually at the doctor's office, just state emphatically that this was not an easy decision for us to make, and we did not take it lightly, so please respect our decision.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#13 of 15 Old 12-13-2008, 03:57 PM

Remember that even if you do vaccinate it does not mean your LO won't get it. That helps me in a time of self doubt.

Rebekah married to Justin Mama to Jonah and Josiah
#14 of 15 Old 12-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reading helps. The more I read, the more I think "Over my dead body"

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#15 of 15 Old 12-13-2008, 06:24 PM

I would also stop discussing your decision or your son's vax status, or even his illnesses, with anyone until you are more comfortable with the information you have. I still don't really discuss it with anyone unless I feel "safe" with them -- ie, they won't hang it over my head or judge me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page