FDA's Prevnar Approval Information - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.fda.gov/cber/products/prevnar.htm

Anyone seen this website? I just found it recently. The "clinical review" might be of interest for some, I found much more information on the pre-licensure clinical trials in these documents than on the package insert.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#2 of 4 Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for posting this!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 4 Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 PM

Can you quote some interesting parts please?

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#4 of 4 Old 12-12-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have quotes, because you can't copy and paste from it, but these are my notes...

Prevnar Clinical Trials Safety Data
*One large trial involving infants vaccinated at 2, 4, 6 and 12-15 months, divided equally into two groups (about 17,000 each): vaccines on current schedule and Men C or vaccines on current schedule and PCV7
-Reactions surveyed at 48-72 hours and 14 days after each dose
-Emergency room and outpatient clinic visits surveyed at 30 and 60 days
*In group that received PCV7:
-40 participants dropped from study due to seizure activity, 1 for allergic reaction (a total of 127 dropped due to an adverse event)

I am pretty sure this was not mentioned in the package insert (because they did not complete the series.) That's a significant number to me.

-Seizures within 3 days: 8 (twice as much as control group), within 14: 21 (similar to control group), within 30: 32 (similar to control group)

This was not included in the package insert either. I read that there was a "slightly" increased risk of seizures in the first three days compared to controls. It may be similar to the control group, which is what matters to the FDA, but 72 seizures in any kid who got at least one dose is still a worrisome number to me. I'm looking at the risk of vaccinating at all. No mention is made of the total number of seizures within 30 days because there was no increased risk between the two types.

-Seizure rate within 3 days of vaccination with PCV7 and concurrent vaccinations calculated to be 1 in 7,000 doses

Which you can divide by 4... This is not mentioned in the package insert as far as I know.

-24 hospitalizations within 3 days of a dose: bronchiolitis (5), asthma (2), pneumonia (2) otitis media (1)
-162 ER visits within 3 days of a dose: febrile illness (20), otitis media (15), pneumonia (6) asthma (4), febrile seizure (3)

PCV7 is supposed to protect against pneumonia and earaches.

-Within 4-911 days, children without this diagnosis prior to enrollment vs. after: 1 case of diabetes, 10 cases of thrombocytopenia

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page