Chicken pox exposure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-12-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how young is too young to expose your children to the chicken pox? I remember when I was young that people said when they got it as a baby, they got it again in childhood. How long would you wait to expose your kids so they have the antibodies for life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-13-2008, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I would wait until at least a year, but that is just so I would feel better about him having it so young and any complications, as for immunity lasting i have no idea!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 04:49 AM

I'm not desperately searching for chicken pox yet (um, funny that we have to 'search' for a common childhood ailment) but I have asked around and dd is 18 mos. I think that is young enough to get by without too much fuss but old enough to handle the illness. I don't know about the immunity part though. I'm curious to see what others say!
#4 of 7 Old 12-14-2008, 05:08 AM

I'm curious to see what others here say. We've just been thru this dilemma.

After several years of people driving out of state for CP, we've currently got plenty of pox parties going on in our community.

But our AP-friendly, non-vax tolerant ped advised us to wait on exposing our youngest until he was done nursing.

Supposedly, CP antibodies from my milk make it less likely he'd catch a proper, full-on case of CP. Which might leave him with less than lifetime immunity.

So we're passing on the pox parties. I just hope we can find some nearby ones a few years from now!
#5 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 05:00 AM

Oh, that's interesting..I hadn't thought about that. Well, maybe we'll wait too. DD doesn't nurse very much anymore (maybe once every 2-3 days) but just in case.
#6 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 05:12 AM

I would like my child to be able to communicate well enough, before knowingly exposing her to chicken pox.

I read some where, maybe it was on here some where, that a mother tried to expose her unvaccinated children to chicken pox at 3 different chicken pox parties, but they never developed chicken pox. Probably because their immune systems kept fighting it off?

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#7 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytwinmama View Post
how young is too young to expose your children to the chicken pox? I remember when I was young that people said when they got it as a baby, they got it again in childhood. How long would you wait to expose your kids so they have the antibodies for life?
I don't know that there is too young. Ava was five months old when she caught it from her siblings, and we do full-on cosleeping, babywearing, bfing. I honestly didn't think she'd get it. She had just as good a case as the others, but she wasn't nearly as ill, if that makes sense. She nursed more, which is what you'd expect with any virus, but never acted fussy or upset. She loved all the extra baths I was giving. The other kids weren't really ill either, but they did complain about itching, and one day each where their stomachs were upset.

She's been exposed twice more and hasn't caught it, so I'm guessing her immunity is pretty strong.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page