Adult vaccinations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-19-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you raising (or have raised) vaccine free kids - do you think there are vaccines your kids might need upon adulthood?

For example, rubella prior to pregnancy for a woman or mumps for man?

What about varicella? Do you think some vaccines are needed for the elderly? (Tetanus in nursing homes, varicella booster, etc.)

Do you feel that the negative effects of vaccines are less impactful after childhood (when development is taking place)?

My research has definitely given me a huge NO WAY for childhood vaxes. I'm wondering how you all feel about non-childhood vaxes.

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 17 Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 PM

I believe adults can research and make their own decisions.

For me personally? No, I wouldn't get one.

I don't feel the negative effects are less in adults. Development is just one aspect, there are many other health problems that can occur from vaccines.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#3 of 17 Old 12-19-2008, 06:55 PM

Nope on the vaccines for adults. My girls have had rubella, and the boys have had mumps. My BIL had mumps at the ripe ol' age of 26 (after his vaccine immunization wore off), and has had six kids since then, so I don't even entirely buy the infertile argument.

Tetanus for the elderly...I would decrease chances by maintaining healthy diet and exercise. It's the primary reason I plan on keeping my parents with me rather than putting them in a nursing home. They are adults, and can make their own choices, of course.

Dh and I have not had any immunizations as adults...wait, I take that back. When I had Josh, Breanna, Emily, they tested me and said my titers were nonexistent for rubella, and shot me up. I had been forced into one when Josh was born, and two years later when Bre was born. You'd think two years wouldn't make a diff, but Emily was born when Bre was 18 months old, and I was so tired I agreed to it. When Sam was born, they tested again and I refused. By then I had nursed sick kids THROUGH rubella and still didn't have titers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeC View Post
For those of you raising (or have raised) vaccine free kids - do you think there are vaccines your kids might need upon adulthood?

What about varicella? Do you think some vaccines are needed for the elderly? (Tetanus in nursing homes, varicella booster, etc.)

Do you feel that the negative effects of vaccines are less impactful after childhood (when development is taking place)?

My research has definitely given me a huge NO WAY for childhood vaxes. I'm wondering how you all feel about non-childhood vaxes.

Thanks in advance!

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#4 of 17 Old 12-19-2008, 06:59 PM

I don't get boosters myself, my dd is an adult and is still unvaxed. I don't anticipate any reason for her to get vaxed but she is in charge of her medical choices now.
#5 of 17 Old 12-19-2008, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree...I wouldn't get anything for myself, however if my son ever researches and decides he needs something as an adult, that would be his choice of course

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 17 Old 12-20-2008, 02:48 PM

I got an update about 2 1/2 years ago when I was travelling because I didn't know then that I had a choice. Now that I know better, no way. I care about my own personal health as well, and as long as I have a choice, the answer is no.
#7 of 17 Old 12-20-2008, 02:52 PM

If my kids ever join the Peace Corps (if it's still around by then) and if they end up going places where there are some of the diseases I was vaccinated for when I went, then no I wouldn't have a problem with it. I am not anti-all vaccines. I think they have a place. I just don't think that place is in the bloodstream of infants and small children.
#8 of 17 Old 12-20-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeC View Post

Thanks in advance!
My DH and I are giving our child the mumps vax if he hasn't had it by age 10. Just because of the small chance that it could make him sterile.

Would I get the rubella vax? Heck no, there are numerous stats that support it can cause arthritis in adults (crazy high percents...not a small number)

If you get CP, or even if you get exposed often enough, you don't need the vax in adulthood. Your childhood immunity constantly gets updated by being around children with the virus so you keep it and have a lesser chance of getting shingles.

I've also learned there's a Tetanus Immuno-Globulin (spelling wrong I'm sure) shot. Basically, if you're afraid you got exposed to tetanus (which comes from SOIL, not that kitchen knife of yours, and animal feces) you can request the TIG and get a shot full of tetanus antibodies. It works faster so your body doesn't have to build them and it's safer because you don't have the same preservatives or anything.

Some reactions may be lessened by age...but I don't believe we really NEED the vaccines we're "supposed" to get.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#9 of 17 Old 12-22-2008, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the replies! I didn't mean to imply that you would make the decision for your adult kids. I just often get asked "well what about if they don't get cp and then get it as an adult?"

I'm think I'm going to start saying I have 18 (plus) years to decide that my primary concern is getting them to adulthood in a healthy manner.

Also, I did IVF so I got tested for all kinds of STDs and hereditary disorders to get into the program. NO ONE even brought up my not being immune to a certain illness. I guess that shows how important it isn't. Fertility clinics really care about the healthy birth rate so if they were worried about rubella I'm sure they'd test.
#10 of 17 Old 12-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Rubella - No, because if they have not had the disease in the decades they have lived before pregnancy the chance of contracting it in a 3 month window is statistically very low. A 25% risk of arthritis is way too high, and I have seen studies that show a small but significant amount of women have this problem chronically.

Mumps - No, because the Health Protection Agency of the United Kingdom says there is no evidence of any link whatsoever between mumps and male infertility. Since they have an MMR uptake problem right now, I believe if there was any way they could use this to scare the public, they would. There is also a risk of meningitis in 1 in 1-3,000 doses.

Varicella - No. The risk of death from the disease is greater in adults but it is still in the tens of thousands. The vaccine is not very effective, and the risk of long-term side effects is unknown.

Tetanus - No. The Canadian government did an analysis to see if vaccinating the elderly would prevent cases and save money and concluded the cost-benefit ratio was too high because it is so rare.

Varicella boosters - To prevent shingles via an injected vaccine, no. If there was a way to expose them to the virus periodically to boost antibodies, perhaps. Like if there was an aerosol vaccine.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#11 of 17 Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When my boys are old enough to research the diseases and vaccines and make the decisions for themselves then they can choose to remain unvaxed or to get vaxed. Their body their choice.

For myself, no. But I am already immune to things like rubella and CP so I don't have much to worry about (pregnancy wise). If I wasn't immune to rubella I would have to research and decide for myself.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#12 of 17 Old 01-23-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post

I don't feel the negative effects are less in adults. Development is just one aspect, there are many other health problems that can occur from vaccines.
Vaccines = Injury = Death! No living creature should ever be injected with such toxins. I am an adult and I never had any of the childhood diseases and I am actually looking for them not only to boost my immune system but to prove a point that these illnesses are not what big pharma makes them out to be. So if anyone knows of anyone with anything and is willing to help let me know.
#13 of 17 Old 01-23-2009, 03:28 PM

I had my titers checked and apparently am immune to everything except rubella. So, I won't be going anytime soon!

DH we just filed an exemption for, as he started college this past week (YAY!) and didn't want the vaccines. Of course the college gave him a bit of a hard time, but it's done.

As for my kids, when they're adults they can do what they will. Their bodies are their own to decide for.
#14 of 17 Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post

:
#15 of 17 Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 AM

No, I do not vaccinate myself. I'm currently 19. I got a general booster at age 15, and 2 of the 3 HPV shots at age 18 before educating myself. Short of some extreme unpredictable event, I will not reconsider and will never get another vaccine again.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#16 of 17 Old 03-18-2009, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No, i don't vaccinate myself. I don't even do the flu shot.
I was bullied by the hospital after the birth of my son in 06 to get part of the Varcella vax because the bloodwork showed i'm not immune to it and was told i'd get the other shot at my 6wk check well i didn't.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#17 of 17 Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM

No, DH and I don't vaccinate ourselves either. I'd rather take my chances with a treatable vaccine-available disease than an incurable vaccine reaction.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page