Please help! We are freaking out here! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2008, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmum View Post
I'd put your energy into finding a lawyer familiar with the law on vacc and dealing with CPS, and briefing him/her right now on what happened, just in case.

I don't believe that any number of papers on the values of natural remedies would convince an overzealous CPS worker. Even though we know we're intelligent parents, the truth is that mainstream America would sneer at the notion of breastmilk as a remedy for pinkeye. Just think about it, most Americans die at the thought of a baby actually - gasp - drinking breastmilk. Uisng it to cure something that you could use a drug for would make you look like a lunatic to many CPS caseworkers or judges. Sad, but true.

I'd also put energy into cleaning your house - I mean, really cleaning. And line up friends, teachers, your minister, etc, to call on if CPS were to turn up. Also, research the law on what to do if they show up. From what I've always understood, unless they have a warrant, you should send them away and ask them to make an appt, to which you will turn up with your lawyer, minister, child's teacher etc.

Once you have these safeguards in place, you will sleep much more soundly at night.

HTH
i think that's good advice. i read earlier in this thread that dr. sears recommends breast milk in the eye in one of his books. therefore, he'd be great to reference in regard to that practice since he's a pediatrician, on oprah, etc.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Just don't let them in! Not without a warant! Solves a lot of problems right there, and if they do come knocking, it gives you time to get ready.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveyourohana View Post
Just don't let them in! Not without a warant! Solves a lot of problems right there, and if they do come knocking, it gives you time to get ready.
: I also read that if they say that there was a report of abuse or some such lie, ask them when the report was called in. If they say it was called in 'a few days ago', then ask them why it took them so long to get there. Then refuse to let them in. I have read that CPS (in some cases) exaggerates details to make their case look 'better'. I've also read where pediatricians have mistaken vaccine damage for 'shaken baby syndrome' as well. Many reasons to say as little as possible.

They tried to 'find' problems with us when we took DS to the ER when he was 3 days old. They dressed up a cop as a doctor. Once he found out I gave birth in another county, he said, "That's not my jurisdiction' and walked right out of the room! There was no way in H E double hockey sticks that we would ever tell them that we planned on a home birth, or that we don't vaccinate. The less they know the better. I swear, some people think that vaccines have saved the human race from extinction. I didn't tell that ped I took him to that we co sleep either. No way. They don't need to know anything. Why give them any possible ammo, ya know?

I started researching stuff on CPS because of the vax issue and overzealous people. I hope that nothing comes of this for you and your family. It's a shame that protecting our LO's means lying, but that's the state of things right now.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 AM

The pediatrician has a legal obligation to call CPS if she suspects abuse or neglect. CPS, in turn, has a legal obligation to investigate immediately. But the pediatrician did NOT call CPS. She called Medicaid to say she didn't want to see your family because, essentially, you were too crunchy and she's uptight traditionalist. Relax. I don't think CPS is showing up because if they were going to be involved the involvement would already have occurred.

To sleep better at night, read your state's statute on religious and/or philosophical exemption from vaccines. Study the exemption clause. Prepare a notarized letter addressed to "whom it may concern" that follows the letter of the exemption clause. Have that ready if any questions arise. Similarly, prepare a short set of references on the efficacy of BM in treating infections. Personally, I would try to get more mainstream references instead of just someone's blog, etc. La Leche probably has references.

My experience is that especially when dealing with Medicaid patients, doctors and nurse case managers tend to try to intimidate and try to "order" compliance to an inappropriate degree. You can send a letter to the nurse case manager stating that you are not interested in nurse case manager services. I applied for Medicaid when I was pregnant. I was p___ed when I received a letter from a nurse case manager telling me that she was going to make sure that I kept my prenatal appts. and got my children vaccinated -- like I was a 8 y.o. idiot who needed her "mommy's oversight." I just sent a letter stating that I had no interest in a case manager and please don't contact me again. No further contact. No issue.

Possibly to cover my a__ and alleviate anxiety, I would send a copy of my "religious exemption" to the nurse case manager and request that she please respect your religious beliefs and decision not to vaccinate for religious reasons. I probalby wouldn't do that unless I was worried she might escalate things or started hounding me to vaccinate.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
1993: I was turned over to CPS from an ER for suspicious things as cloth diapering and breastfeeding past six weeks. I did not even mention not vaccinating. I lied, and said he was up to date.

Looking forward to your CPS thread.
I have to believe that more was involved in the ER's decision to call CPS. I am not saying that their call was warranted (or not). But I strongly suspect their decision was based on more than cloth diapering and breastfeeding past 6 weeks.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thank you, Purple Cat. I knew I could always count on MDC.

FTR, all a medical professional needs is probable cause, and that can be interpreted in any way one wants. I am a teacher, and I have the legal responsibility to call CPS, and I do not need much for probable cause either in CA. AND, furthermore, CPS showed up six months later with a call beforehand and no identification in hand. If I was such a danger to my child, I think they should have hustled the visit up a few months. AS it was, it was an an annoyance and totally unnecessary.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 01-01-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
FTR, all a medical professional needs is probable cause, and that can be interpreted in any way one wants. I am a teacher, and I have the legal responsibility to call CPS, and I do not need much for probable cause either in CA. AND, furthermore, CPS showed up six months later with a call beforehand and no identification in hand. If I was such a danger to my child, I think they should have hustled the visit up a few months. AS it was, it was an an annoyance and totally unnecessary.
Point taken. Your right. Mandatory reporters can interrupt "probable cause" anyway they want. I think its also common for mandatory reporters to take the stance that all they have to do is "suspect" and then it's CPS's job to figure out whether their "gut instinct" was right. I think ER physicians in particular can get a little "gun happy" because they may have seen really severely abused kids and get hte emotional vestment that they will never let a kid suffer like that again and then overreact to something being "different" to them.
Good luck.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have used breastmilk in my sons eyes. I told my ped about it and she had heard about it, but warned me that it wasn't FDA approved (gag).
These threads have me concerned about cps too. I never thought that cps would care to get involved in a non vax situation considering they deal with children who are being molested, abused, living in meth houses etc.
And what is this about having to lie about breastfeeding? I've never heard this! stories please!::
Old 01-04-2009, 04:04 AM

The pediatrician and LN were negatively impacting the establishment of my milk supply while giving me wrong information regarding every aspect of breastfeeding. So they were either ignorant or purposely trying to force us to use formula. The LN told me I had to chart every meal and give both her and the ped a copy of this. The ped wanted us on formula only because at 3 days old, we found my DD's bilirubin was rising. Formula did nothing but make her colicky and constipated but he wanted us to continue on it and just give it more time. Anyone who knows anything about jaundice knows that you need more bowel movements. He told us to use a specific brand and type of formula that was high in iron, so that's when I decided he was a fool. All the while, I was continuing to educate myself on breastfeeding and getting help from the LLL. So I was ready to get back to nursing with a passion and we've been fine since. But shame shame shame on these so-called professionals. I've come to realize the only thing they get from having a degree is a bigger paycheck. They certainly don't learn anything useful, unless fear-mongering is considered useful.

User Tag List