What to say to dr? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started looking for a diff dr because I do not like my ped. I had some moms refer me to a DO and so I took my son to him. I really liked him, and so did our boys. I feel like we are finally getting some where regarding ds1's recurring fevers and some other things concerning him. What I did not like is the vax part. He asked me if ds was completely up to date, and I said that we stopped at 4-6m with him. He asked me why and I replied that I did my research and did not like what I found-ingrediants, effectiveness-wild caught vs the vaccine, and got cut off at effectiveness.
He has been all over the world and said he has seen the effectiveness of vaxing and if not vaxing what can happen. Then that he highly recommended them. The conversation stopped right there as far as vaxes where concerned but I felt a little of balance. I feel like I want to go in next time with a print out of numbers and facts, but not sure how to do that. I just want to be able to more effectively back up my decision to not vax, so not sure what to say to him if he brings it up again.
I'm thankful he didn't say not vaxing was a reason ds was having issues. Any suggestions? Thanks.
#2 of 12 Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 AM

I wouldn't debate it. If he asks again, just say you aren't vaxxing. If he won't give in, tell him that you will put some thought into what he said. (Just don't say HOW much thought. )

I never debate with my doctor. I'm not good at memorizing facts and numbers, and it wouldn't matter anyway, because even if I brought stacks of papers he'd be able to argue around them anyway.
#3 of 12 Old 12-24-2008, 01:49 AM

Do not attempt to educate a Ped...it's like the whole teaching a pig to sing thing...it will just open up a debate and you'll never agree anyway.

"We will not be vaccinating today" Repeat as necessary

Or "No thanks, but I would like to discuss (fill in the blank with the reason you are there) with you."

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#4 of 12 Old 12-24-2008, 05:28 PM

I would probably look for someone else. An ND perhaps.

If you did want to engage, I'd look to this part. "He has been all over the world and said he has seen the effectiveness of vaxing and if not vaxing what can happen. "

Ask if he recently saw the info that the numbers of people who were vaxed are possibly double the amount that the countries were reporting, because they got $x per vacccinated person from the UN. But the diseases weren't getting MORE prevalent during this time, they were getting lower. YOu would think they would have gotten higher or stayed the same, since the numbers were so inflated.

And if you felt like it, find the info that shows what each disease was doing already when vaccines were introduced for it. The chart showing the rise and fall of polio, and then the vaccine was introduced (and the definition for diagnosis was changed so it was harder to diagnose, according to a woman I know who was a new nurse at that time) and it kept falling, but it was *already* falling. Wash, rinse, repeat for each disease/vaccine.

But I'd just find someone new, and tell them on the phone that you won't be vaxing and don't want any problems, and are they right for you.

FWIW, in my state, they have boxes to fill out, and have to ASK each time. So our ND had to ask about vaccines, even during the time that she had none (she later got a few, carefully selected ones, for the families that wanted to come to her but did want some vaccines), but she would just check off the "no" box and move on.
#5 of 12 Old 12-24-2008, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with PPS to not try to "educate" the ped. He's done his research too, for many many years in an expensive school. Just because the two of you can to different conclusions doesn't mean either of you is wrong!

I think the important part is he really isn't pressing you. Its fine that he asked, its his job, but he dropped it and that's the important part!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#6 of 12 Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

What's an ND? I had been looking for a new dr, only because the new ped in the practice I go to kept brushing me off. Now that we've been to this dr, I feel like we finally got some answers about our son's health and am pretty mad at the other dr.
I'll see if he pushes vax at all later. I just wanted to be a little more prepared if he asked again. He said for his family they do delayed and I think 2 at a time, and never if a cold/fever etc. Thier youngest is like 6m behind if going by the standard vax round.
Where would I find these charts milkybean? Thanks.
#7 of 12 Old 12-25-2008, 04:55 AM

Naturopathic Doctor.

It's all we used for DS for his first year or so. We still put her down as his doctor for ER visits for injuries (2 in '07, ugh), but we haven't seen her in ages, just no need.

I think others could tell you where to find the disease "cycle" (as I call it) charts...I'm extremely against vaccination, made up my mind in the mid-90s well before I had kids, and I haven't really researched anything since then. Ain't no changing my mind, and I don't talk to people about it other than ways like "I trust the immune system to work the way it's supposed to, and I don't want to mess with it" and really I don't talk about that to anyone in real life at all, so I don't have my fingers on the pulse of the info I used to see.

I wonder if NVIC has it? The very first book I read about vaccines (probably the only book, LOL) was by the founder, called A Shot In the Dark. You could look around the website (I just did, and a note for you, the links with "timeline" in the name arent' what you are looking for, though the first one is very interesting) to see if the info is on there. It also might be in one of the "sticky" threads in this forum.
#8 of 12 Old 12-25-2008, 10:21 PM

We use a naturapathic dr. too. The new one we are switching to laughed when I asked her if she was ok with non-vaxing patients. She doesn't vax her child, so she's pretty ok with it. You can call a local free-standing birth center or look in the phone book under naturapthic physician. They can prescrib meds and run labs just like dr's, but they look for more natural alternatives when possible. They also try to treat the cause instead of the symptoms.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#9 of 12 Old 12-29-2008, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
What's an ND? I had been looking for a new dr, only because the new ped in the practice I go to kept brushing me off. Now that we've been to this dr, I feel like we finally got some answers about our son's health and am pretty mad at the other dr.
I'll see if he pushes vax at all later. I just wanted to be a little more prepared if he asked again. He said for his family they do delayed and I think 2 at a time, and never if a cold/fever etc. Thier youngest is like 6m behind if going by the standard vax round.
Where would I find these charts milkybean? Thanks.
You can find these charts here: http://www.healthsentinel.com/graphs.php

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#10 of 12 Old 12-31-2008, 01:01 AM

I would never debate with a doctor especially not with a ped. Someone once said, "it's like wrestling with a pig in the mud, you can never win, and the pig likes it".

I would simply say "I have made my decision and it is not up for discussion".

Well, I would say a lot more... but I am not daunted by doctors at all.

Sometimes I really wish I had the chance...
#11 of 12 Old 12-31-2008, 04:02 AM

I had a similar situation, and I decided not to educate. I determined that he knows the reasons why; it's not like I'm the only one out there who doesn't and my reasons are pretty run of the mill. It really won't change his opinion. Instead, I would focus on the agreeing-to-disagree bit. If he won't let it rest, then I'd find a new doc. With the doc we found, we were able to see things differently and still cohere otherwise.

Good luck!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#12 of 12 Old 12-31-2008, 02:24 PM

Dd's ped asked me about the issue each of the few times we saw him before we moved out of the city. I just told him that we weren't vaxing at this time and if we decided to vax her, he would be the first to know. Not really a lie...That ended the conversations and seemed to placate him with the idea that we would at some point do it, even though we have no such intentions. I agree with the pig-in-the-mud analogy: regarding this issue, doctors aren't usually looking for a thoughtful debate or to be educated, they're looking for compliance, so why bother?

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page