mother warriors - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2008, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished reading Jenny McCarthy's "Mother Warriors" and while she is not the best writer, I found the content to be quite moving. I wondered what the MDC mammas thoughts were and if we had any 'mother warriors' of our own. Let's hear your stories!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 PM

She has a mixed following on MDC. First off she isn't no vax. So don't expect a lot of love for her here in the no vax forum.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:51 PM

I would say she at least recognizes there's a problem and she's helping to get the word out. I never liked her before this issue came up, but that's because I felt she was nothing more than a bimbo.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

oh. that's a shame
Old 12-31-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

I haven't read this book but I did read her two pregnancy/newborn ones (since I'm preggers) and I really liked them. I think that despite the fact that she isn't completely no-vax she does alot of good for the cause because of her high profile status. I've seen her on the news and she speaks very well about it.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will have to read "mother warriors" you've got me interested. I read "belly laughs" and I couldn't finish it (very unusual for me) I saw her on you-tube talking about autism and she didn't get much love from me for that either.

But I will check out "mother warriors" I can probably read the thing on the bus!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 01-01-2009, 03:36 AM

disclaimer: I've never read her book or followed her stuff, but I've seen almost no one who's high-profile publicly say that they're anti-vax. To me it looks like a credibility thing--there's such a stigma about non-vaccinating that I think even people who do not vaccinate would be hesitant to advocate that position publicly, especially if they're trying to advocate for change in any health-related areas.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
disclaimer: I've never read her book or followed her stuff, but I've seen almost no one who's high-profile publicly say that they're anti-vax. To me it looks like a credibility thing--there's such a stigma about non-vaccinating that I think even people who do not vaccinate would be hesitant to advocate that position publicly, especially if they're trying to advocate for change in any health-related areas.
Very true.

Imagine in 1976, after the swine flu vaccine was introduced and proved to be neurotoxic and Dr. Robert Mendelsohn, a prominent pediatrician, medical advisor to Headstart and LLLI, a professor of medical ethics, and member of the medical licensing board in Illinois, proceeded to advocate in his weekly, syndicated newspaper column "A Very Second Opinion", that all childhood vaccinations be discontinued.

Half of the newspapers that carried his column dropped him like a stone!

Dr. Mendelsohn went on to write four books about his beliefs.

As for Jenny McCarthy, at least she has some people thinking. I saw her on Larry King, and she was obviously very careful about not being an advocate against vaccinating, just developing "greener" vaccines, as if that were possible.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 01-01-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
there's such a stigma about non-vaccinating
:
I'm careful about who I talk about not vaxing to and I never say that we are completely non-vax I think people assume that I get the "important ones"

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 01-01-2009, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I also remember telling others that I was not vaccinated in 1960, as a first grade student; there was a polio victim in the grade ahead of me, and my classmates have never forgotten it, years later. I was a pariah the whole eight years I attended that school . I learned my lesson early in life.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 01-01-2009, 03:45 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
:

She doesn't want to get sued. I heard her say on Larry King that for her, personally, she would never vax another child. She wants to bring awareness to the issue but not actually tell other people what to do. I think that's smart.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 01-04-2009, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just had my first son in May. While I was pregnant I saw Jenny on Larry King. It sounds so dingy, but listening to her is what got me quesioning vaccines ( it wasn't a subject I had thought of yet, but would have come to eventually). I will read this book, I figure any kind of support is good. I agree with the other posters that said they think she is anti vax but just won't say it. I heard her say she wouldn't vaccinate another child and would take measles over autism any day.:

User Tag List