Asthma? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this isn't very scientific, but wondering if folks could comment on whether or not their unvaxed (or selectively vaxed) child has asthma. I am surprised how many kids these days have asthma (I only knew one boy growing up who had it!). DS doesn't have it (he's only 3) and he is mostly unvaxed. I read somewhere that asthma may be linked to vaccinations (among other things) and so just wondering what others' experiences are. Also, have there been any studies that compare unvaxed kids with vaxed ones when it comes to asthma? Just curious here...

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
#2 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 04:06 AM

My oldest has only had his 2 month shots and then we stopped. He has no asthma but does have pretty bad allergies(food, latex, environmental). Ds2 is unvaxed but has excema and some mild allergies but no asthma. Mama has asthma and was fully vaxed(for the seventies). My brother had pretty bad asthma as a kid and he has only gotten a few vaxes but had a serious vaccine reaction.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#3 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 02:42 PM

My non-vaxed six-month-old does not currently have any symptoms of asthma (or anything else for that matter). But she is still young, so who knows?

But... I recently read the book "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics" by Dr. Kenneth Bock. He is a DAN doctor, and believes that asthma, autism, allergies and ADHD are all actually part of the same spectrum disorder caused by toxins in the body, of which vaccinations are a part. It is a pretty interesting read... I managed to pick it up at the library.

As far as I know, there are no studies comparing vaxed to non-vaxed children in regards to anything. It is one of the major reasons I have chosen not to vax at all.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#4 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Our DD was vaccinated from birth until 12 months (no chicken pox or MMR), and has severe eczema. We will not be vaccinating our DS. I was vaccinated from birth and have severe asthma.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#5 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 PM

I was also vaccinated and have asthma. My stepson is vaccinated and has it as well. My (unvaccinated) daughter is only 7 months, so there's no telling what will happen, but currently she's fine. My 3 unvaccinated cousins and their unvaccinated mom don't have asthma or allergies and are hardly ever sick.

As far as allergies, I have many. A big one is aluminum and another is talc. I never found a body powder or deodorant that didn't give me a horrible rash or hives and fill my sinuses with mucus. I can't even try on clothing in a store because anyone who did before me may have been using deodorant.
#6 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 08:00 PM

My youngest dd was not vaxed and had asthma. Since she had WC though its not made a reappearence. However my great uncle died from an asthma attack, my mother had it, my brother (who is also not vaxed) has it so I think it might be genetic in our case.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#7 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
My youngest dd was not vaxed and had asthma. Since she had WC though its not made a reappearence. However my great uncle died from an asthma attack, my mother had it, my brother (who is also not vaxed) has it so I think it might be genetic in our case.
I'm sure the genes help it. Our allergies go back 4 generations that I have studied. Some are quite severe. Of course these same people have lived into their 90's and 100's so otherwise their health is pretty good.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#8 of 18 Old 01-04-2009, 04:55 AM

I'm not a mom quite yet, but I can say that I have asthma myself (and have had it since very early childhood) and I was not vaccinated.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#9 of 18 Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 PM

My DS has asthma, but my DH and I have asthma too. We don't vax.

My hairdresser's DS has asthma and she doesn't vax either.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#10 of 18 Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Well, I can say that I was a completely vaccinated child and developed asthma at the age of 15 (I am now 29).

My dd is vaxed up to 12 months and she, at nearly three, is starting to develop allergies that point to a possibility of asthma. Right now it is isolated to a rash that wont go away and now a runny nose (this is just developing and we are going to see a Naturopath in the near future) I know you didnt ask about allergies, but personally I somewhat lump the two together.

ETA: While I do believe that vaccinations can contribute to asthma, i realize the other factors in our environment. Fore example, chem sensitivity, non-org foods, emfs, etc...
#11 of 18 Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Since she had WC
I'm having a brain fart. I've seen this abbreviation several times lately, and I cannot figure out what WC stands for. Thanks!
#12 of 18 Old 01-05-2009, 06:12 PM

Whooping cough, I assume.
#13 of 18 Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Yup. I should ask my mom, my brother who had asthma also had WC. I wonder if he has since had any attacks.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#14 of 18 Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 PM

My partially vaxed dd1 has some eczema and allergy-like issues.

Ds has no asthma, no vaxes. He is the healthiest kid, I swear. I hope the same will be true for dd2!

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#15 of 18 Old 01-06-2009, 12:29 AM

DS is not vaccinated and has asthma and allergies (wheat, dairy, cahsews and pistacios)
#16 of 18 Old 01-06-2009, 12:35 AM

DD has asthma, she was fully vax'd. I really think it was brought on by vax's. I'm so glad we are not vax'ing our youngest.
#17 of 18 Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 AM

I read that a lot of times, if a kid outgrew eczema, it often times turns into asthma, is that true?

With that being said, my unvaxed, breastfed 13.5 month old had moderate eczema with rashes ever since she was a newborn and most of it went away when she was 9 months old except for 1 small patch on her thigh. But then over the holidays, I ate lots of foods that I probably shouldn't have and now she's reacting to it with some eczema spots on her cheeks (over in the allergy forum they are suggesting that I have leaky gut and thats why she is reacting to foods in my breast milk). Her eczema is still on the mild side right now, and I'm trying to get it under control with my diet before it gets any worse. Anyway, I think that if she was vaxed, then her eczema would probably have been very severe. I'm also hoping that her eczema does not turn into asthma when she gets older. I think in the allergy forum they would say that eczema and asthma are manifestations of inflammation in the body.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#18 of 18 Old 01-06-2009, 02:06 AM
Banned

I have asthma and was vaccinated. I'm sure asthma exists independent of vaccinations but one study showed that children had more than twice the rate of asthma if they had the DTaP vaccine than if they did not.

http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0...379-2/abstract

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page