AAP recommendations when to call state authorities if you don't vax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...115/5/1428.pdf

WOW. Maybe this has been posted before, but I think it is terrible. One paragraph basically says that if your kid has a deep puncture wound and you refuse a Tetanus shot, they will call CPS on you for medical neglect...

I don't get why doctors are so extreme in the US!
#2 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 04:11 PM

:Puke ...and I only skimmed it

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 PM

The article seems to be attempting to counter the common response among physicians of 'firing' non-vaxing families from their practice, so that's somewhat positive.

And it does say "deep and contaminated puncture wound." It's trying to at least make the point that refusing vaccinations under ordinary circumstances will not be medical neglect.

So it's from a very conventional standpoint, but somewhat measured.
#4 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When there are billions of dollars at stake, they have to be exterme I guess.

This publication makes me want to scream. It is so condesending and actually calls parents who don't vaccinate "free riders".....very professional.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 06:12 PM

The DTaP, if administered for the first time in the ER after a questionable wound, would do NOTHING to protect a child from tetanus. That is pure scaremongering. If they were really worried about tetanus, they'd issue tetanus immunoglobin. What garbage.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#6 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

I don't even like the TONE of this article. It is like peds are conditioned to be the protectors of our children. That is like public schools usurping parents. I hate that. PARENTS are in charge. These other organizations exist to offer services.

Meanwhile, somewhere a child is ACTUALLY being neglected.
#7 of 19 Old 01-07-2009, 06:26 PM

I agree, Paige. It's like doctors are turning into self-appointed bureaucrats. When did that happen?

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#8 of 19 Old 01-11-2009, 04:24 AM

It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.
#9 of 19 Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 PM

A little off topic: As a Pediatric Nurse and a non-vacc mom, I have a hard time when Doctors tell patient's parents that the vaccinations are 'good for them'. I make it a point to state that they are Your Choice, not requirement.

I have not given any vaccinations to kids, I pass it on to the next nurse because I do not feel that it is ethically right to inject that crap into an already unhealthy child.

I have had a hard time lately working in westernized medicine.

Mama to & +:::
#10 of 19 Old 01-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamatoPeach View Post
I have not given any vaccinations to kids, I pass it on to the next nurse because I do not feel that it is ethically right to inject that crap into an already unhealthy child.
You are an awesome person, seriously. Thank you for taking a stand.

#11 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeC View Post
I don't even like the TONE of this article. It is like peds are conditioned to be the protectors of our children. That is like public schools usurping parents. I hate that. PARENTS are in charge. These other organizations exist to offer services.

Meanwhile, somewhere a child is ACTUALLY being neglected.

:
#12 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Who determines when an epidemic is taking place? Is it neglect if the doctor simply "thinks" there is an epidemic?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#13 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
And it does say "deep and contaminated puncture wound." It's trying to at least make the point that refusing vaccinations under ordinary circumstances will not be medical neglect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
The DTaP, if administered for the first time in the ER after a questionable wound, would do NOTHING to protect a child from tetanus. That is pure scaremongering. If they were really worried about tetanus, they'd issue tetanus immunoglobin. What garbage.
Exactly.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#14 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM

I live in Australia... But we still deal with a lot of similar issues..

And it makes me want to grab my son and run far FAR away to a place where he can be protected.
#15 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Vaccines are very safe, but they are
not risk free; nor are they 100% effective.
Isn't that statement contrasting itself? (is that the word I'm looking for? I have a serious HA) Very safe, but not risk free? "Very safe" in my book means without risk.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#16 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 05:19 PM

I do think that statment "contradicts" itself. I'm also just wondering how they can say vaccines are "very safe" when the studies aren't really proving that.
Scary. Very scary.
#17 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineMommy View Post
I do think that statment "contradicts" itself. I'm also just wondering how they can say vaccines are "very safe" when the studies aren't really proving that.
Scary. Very scary.
Don't you know? the burden of proof is on us to prove that vaccines are dangerous, not on vaccine proponents to prove that they are safe and effective. Welcome to Bizarro World. :

#18 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 PM

It really sickens me!! My BFF is pg with twins. I just watched the Sheri Tenpenny video and sent it to her. She said to me "it's just really hard for me not to trust something that hasn't hurt me or my kids!" she hasn't watched the video yet. I sure hope she does. It was an eye opener for me and I've done hours upon hours of research on vaccines.
#19 of 19 Old 01-12-2009, 06:45 PM

I tried to open it but it made my PC crash. :

I also find it hypocritical that doctors can report parents for 'medical neglect' yet they don't think that routine infant circumcision is child abuse.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page