I'm looking for some support - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 01-13-2009, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have found that as time passes I have fewer fearful moments. DD is 27 mos now and I really don't worry about VPDs. When she was younger, of course, as secure as I was with my decision not to vax, I did have my moments of fear. But I tried to put it into perspective. I wasn't running around worrying about her getting necrotizing fasciitis or some other disease going around for which there is no vax available. I just practiced reasonable disease prevention and didn't go out of my way to share space with someone coughing allover the place or something. I never stayed home from the mall, music class or anywhere else. Well I have never been a fan of public restaurant surfaces, but I'm not worrying about a VAD there, just the usual icy annoying viruses I don't have time for!

When she was littler I would avoid closely hanging with a kid who just had a cp vax, but that's more bc I've never had it so we might be getting it together and I though if she were a little older and more verbal it'd be easier on me.

So do more research and try to keep yourself calm. In those big-fear moments, take a deep breath and jump on this forum.
#32 of 37 Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Banned

I'm sensitive too. I have fled many forums after feeling wounded by words. I haven't had that happen here yet. So, we are happy to have you If you don't want to discuss it on WW, tell them so. Don't let them get off topic. Tell them you don't use WW for vaccine information.

I also think vaccine available illness aren't as scary as you might think! Watch Sherri Tenpenny's video on google! It helped me a lot.
#33 of 37 Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 AM

My 2 yo (who was then a 1 yo) had Rubella last Thanksgiving. I have no doubt that it was likely something she picked up from a recently vaxed child shedding it. I know she had it because she was a little under the weather AND we saw the rash passing. (We thought she had a food allergy at the time, though we could not figure out the source.)

My dh is completely unvaxed, and pretty much was at home with his family until he went to kindy, just played with his 3 older sibs and neighborhood kids. Well, he contracted (we strongly feel though it was not verified by a test b/c of our desire for personal privacy) Rubella from my dd. It was no fun at all, he was out of work for a week, and a month later developed pnuemonia as a complication. (which he was treated for.)

Seeing the difference in the illnesses... I'm almost shocked they vaccinate for rubella b/c it is sooooo mild in kids, or was in my dd. And if it was common and women were given a chance to gain natural immunity, then the pregnancy concerns would not be as great, right? We would not have known my dd even had it, if not for seeing the symptoms greatly amplified in my dh. Our thought is that he was isolated from same-age peers during the time when they would have been given the MMR and he might have gained immunity from exposure to shed viruses, so to me the isolation was a negative thing for him.

So I'm praying my girls will gain natural immunity as kids- at least I'm quite confident that they are probably immune to Rubella, which will be great for their childbearing years! If not naturally immune to things like the other measles and chicken pox ummm not sure what else really worries me, pretty much that, we will cross that bridge together when we get to it.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#34 of 37 Old 01-16-2009, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thank you, BetsyPage, for sharing your story.

I have been quite concerned about women who do not develop rubella immunity as children and then are exposed as adults to rubella after the vaccine has worn off.

I worked as a nanny for a prominent attorney family in Los Angeles in the 1970s. The SIL of this attorney, born in 1946, was an only child and was never exposed to chicken pox as a child because in her upper class neighborhood, quarantine was practiced to wipe out all childhood diseases in one generation. That worked for her until she married and had two little girls who brought chicken pox home to her in the 1970s. Her daughters got over the chicken pox within a week, but she was down for over two weeks because she was quite miserable and sick.

She said she wished she could have had it as a child since it appeared that they did not suffer so much.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#35 of 37 Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunasophia View Post
S...I cannot go to the mall to walk around because I don't vaccinate and I like to avoid risk this time of year.
I'm sorry that the WW forum was so mean to you. We avoid telling most people about DD's non-vax status because we don't want her to be discriminated against.

However, we do take her everywhere - inner city, dirty playgrounds, I mean everywhere. I think the Sears' vaccine book spreads the fear that unvaccinated children should be kept at home. I appreciate that Dr. Sears admits there are problems with vaccines, but I don't like the way he spreads fear. I'm not worried about any of the diseases for which vaccines are available. I hope DD catch CP, M,M, and R.

I think DD's strong, natural immune system will protect her from NORMAL bacteria and viruses causing meningitis. Meningitis is serious, but it isn't caused directly by exposure to bacteria or viruses: It's caused by the immune system failing and allowing normal bacteria/viruses to get out of control and cause an infection. If meningitis was caused by bacteria exposure, then we would all have it right this second because our bodies are crawling with "dangerous" bacterias.
#36 of 37 Old 01-16-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage View Post
I'm almost shocked they vaccinate for rubella b/c it is sooooo mild in kids, or was in my dd. And if it was common and women were given a chance to gain natural immunity, then the pregnancy concerns would not be as great, right?
From what I've read, rubella isn't as contagious as other childhood diseases, so there were always many women who reached adulthood without immunity. "They" thought that a vaccine would give everyone immunity in adulthood. Unfortunately, the vaccine offers very short-lasting immunity. I think it would be much better for many women to have natural, long-lasting immunity than for most women to have no immunity.

I'm hoping there is some what to expose DD to natural rubella, and maybe I'll finally get some immunity, too.
#37 of 37 Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunasophia View Post
I am just looking for some support. First, I was on Weight Watchers forum for weight loss support and mentioned that I don't vaccinate. It was a big mistake. I simply should have asked for fitness advice instead of mentioning how hard it was to schedule fitness into my day and I prefaced by saying that I cannot go to the mall to walk around because I don't vaccinate and I like to avoid risk this time of year.
I took my unvaxed newborn to Walmart at four days old, to the zoo at a couple months, and to the germ factory (aka children's museum) at about 15months. I would not hesitate to sling or stroll with a baby at the mall; it's no different than any other place. In any case, anyone leaving the home can bring germs back into the home too. You do not need to treat an unvaxed babe any differently.

I wouldn't mention not vaxing on non-crunch boards or boards that do not specifically support non-vaccination; you are just "asking" for a beat-down.

Read my siggy:.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page