Not Vaccinating and applying for WIC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-09-2009, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The lady at the WIC office whom I spoke to this week to set up an appointment to apply for WIC insisted that I bring along my ds's shot record. When I said that we have chosen not to vaccinate, she just couldn't comprehend that we haven't done so, and asked the same question about five times "he's 11 months old and he's had NONE?" Finally she told me that they'd "take care of that when we got there" and now I'm very nervous that I'm going to get a ton of grief over this, and I'm looking for been there done that stories or some advice on how to tell them about our educated decision without the judgment and pressure to vax.

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 16 Old 01-09-2009, 02:34 AM

I would call them back and ask them what exactly they want you to bring for ID instead of the shot record. If they give you the same answer, ask them to explain themselves.

I can't remeber what my WIC office said about the whole shot record thing. One option may be to get your kid a state picture ID. I know FL has state IDs similar to driver's licenses. All the info is on there, except instead of "Driver's license" or "Driver's permit" it says "Identification Card". Just another possible option.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 16 Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 AM

A copy of birth certificate should suffice.

Also, when you go in, tell her you're religiously opposed and will be filing an exemption when the time comes. By law the can't question it and if she tries, just repeat "religious exemption" until she gets it. Don't get into debates, you'll waste your time and get a headache.

Good Luck!
#4 of 16 Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 AM

Our WIC office has asked about vax once. WHen I told them we don't vax that was that. No problems since. THey have never asked for an ID for the children either. Maybe it was just that one lady. Good luck.
#5 of 16 Old 01-09-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineMommy View Post
Our WIC office has asked about vax once. WHen I told them we don't vax that was that. No problems since. THey have never asked for an ID for the children either. Maybe it was just that one lady. Good luck.
Same here!
#6 of 16 Old 01-09-2009, 07:04 PM

Here's a link; print it out.

WIC Eligibility & Vax
"Immunization records and/or an infant/child’s immunization status are in no way tied to the receipt of WIC benefits. "

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 16 Old 01-13-2009, 03:55 AM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...57#post7641657

Good luck!
~Robyn

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#8 of 16 Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM

I never had to provide a shot record, and had no problems. It was listed as one form of acceptable "proof if identity" (or something), but I just brought a copy of his birth certificate and that was fine. They never asked about it.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#9 of 16 Old 01-13-2009, 01:16 PM

My WIC office seemed dumbfounded that we didn't want to vax. They kept repeating the benefits, and I just smiled and nodded. I don't argue with medical people. Finally the nurse said, "Well, I would encourage you to at least get the tetanus shot and blah de blibbity blah." I told her I would think about that and that I appreciated her opinion.

For ID, I took their partially filled-out shot records. I don't see how it's a good ID anyway, since I'm the one who filled out their names and stuff.
#10 of 16 Old 01-14-2009, 01:44 PM

The WIC office did me the same way, when i didnt have a doctor for the baby, and when i explained he was born at home...the girl could not understand at all. Like it wasnt in her thought process why i didnt take my baby to the doctor. Nor vax my baby, she kept getting up to talk to the manager i'm assuming..she got up at least 6-7 times before we were done, then they put me in a little office room and i waited for over 30 min with my newborn and toddler....i was close to tears..i was post partum..having to defend myself. i finally got up and stood in the hall till someone helped me. Then when i went to the grocery to get my wic...i swear everything i had picked out was not approved...i was so embarassed...the baby had pee'd out his diaper and was in the sling..pee all over me. I siad forget this and threw away the vouchers and will never go back to wic again. Now i'm glad i did...my baby has sensitivites to dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, corn. I cant eat the wic foods anyways. It would be a waste. Sorry for the vent, but i can understand your worry about the WIC office.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#11 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 04:36 PM

We do not vaccinate, and we're on WIC.

A birth certificate or SS card should work, they always say I need the shot record, but they have it in my file that we don't vax, they've never said much about it.

good luck!!

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#12 of 16 Old 01-15-2009, 04:43 PM

We got WIC for a few months about a year ago (DS was prescribed Pediasure, so were giving it a shot) and they were very nice about the vax thing. The lady at the front desk asked if he was up to date and when I told her that we no longer vaxed, she just said "alrighty" and kept going with the paper work. I was totally prepared for a fight too. And then when we went to the back the nurse said "okay, he needs x, x, x, and x vax today" and I was like "oh, we don't vax". She said "may I ask why??" and I when I explained that it was for personal reasons and also medical because DS is at risk for seizures and CP, she said "oh, okay, I understand!" and that was it.

Shocked the hell out of me, to be honest.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#13 of 16 Old 01-16-2009, 04:40 PM

i think all the WIC offices are different, i've been to three different ones and some are so much nice/cleaner/less PUSHY than others and i have friends that live in different areas and it seems to be such different experiences. Anyways they can't turn you away for not vaxing
#14 of 16 Old 01-16-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Our appointment was today, and it went pretty well, thankfully. The lady I spoke with on the phone was not the one doing our intake. They did ask if I had brought along his shot record, and I said no, and she asked if he was getting vaccinations, and I chickened out and just said that our pediatrician was taking care of that part of his health care (which is true, but kind of lying by omission, I guess) and that I'd just prefer to have her handle his vaccinations. She said no problem, and that she'd call over to get a copy of his records, and that was that. They'll find out later that he's not vaxed, and we'll deal with it then. I'm a bit of a chicken sh*t when it comes to people not understanding why we do what we do, and I hate confrontation. It went better than expected, though!
#15 of 16 Old 01-17-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan's_Mommy View Post
Our appointment was today, and it went pretty well, thankfully. The lady I spoke with on the phone was not the one doing our intake. They did ask if I had brought along his shot record, and I said no, and she asked if he was getting vaccinations, and I chickened out and just said that our pediatrician was taking care of that part of his health care (which is true, but kind of lying by omission, I guess) and that I'd just prefer to have her handle his vaccinations. She said no problem, and that she'd call over to get a copy of his records, and that was that. They'll find out later that he's not vaxed, and we'll deal with it then. I'm a bit of a chicken sh*t when it comes to people not understanding why we do what we do, and I hate confrontation. It went better than expected, though!
Glad to hear it went well! I'm a total chicken too. WIC always asks if dd is up to date on her vax and I always say yes. Because, really, she is! She's had none and she'll get none, so, she's about as up to date as you can get.
#16 of 16 Old 01-17-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan's_Mommy View Post
I'm a bit of a chicken sh*t when it comes to people not understanding why we do what we do, and I hate confrontation.
As a non-vaxer who is bound to come up against a whole lot of crap in your child's first 18 years, you'll need to get over that ASAP. It is your job to advocate for and protect your child/ren!

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page