Canada and vaccine requirements for immigrants - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking of emigrating to Canada with my husband (who is Canadian). We have not vaxed our one year old. Does Canada have exemptions? Also, does one's immunization status have an effect on the immigration process?

Would appreciate any insights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 AM

Only three Canadian provinces (Ontario, New Brunswick, Manitoba) have "mandatory" vaccines for school entry, but yes exemptions are easily available. Health Canada has determined that mandatory vaccination is unconstitutional. All the other provinces have no requirements, although doctors and public health people love to tell you otherwise, just to scare you into vaxing.

If your husband is Canadian, I would suspect that your son would be able to apply for citizenship, in which case he should be treated as any other citizen. Hopefully someone else has better information for you on this.

Where are you thinking of moving??

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

Old 01-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Your child has Canadian citizenship automatically but you should apply to the Canadian Consulate to get proof of citizenship. You will need that to prove his citizenship when you move. You also need it to get a Canadian passport, etc. With that, he will not have to go through the immigration process. And he will not have to be vaxed for school entry if you choose not to.

You, of course, will have to go through the immigration process. I have not found anything in the Canadian immigration information stating that you will be required to get vaxes. There is a sentence in the general information saying that if you have not had your childhood vaccines, you should get them before you come. But nowhere does it state that they are required for entry or residency. I even looked in the medical practitioner's guidelines and found nothing that states they are required.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...book/index.asp

If you've had childhood vaxes and you have records, I would say you're completely in the clear. And even though Canada can't force it's own citizens to vax and I'm pretty sure they would never force anyone to vax, I suppose it's possible they could try. But it's very unlikely.

HTH.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1 View Post
I am thinking of emigrating to Canada with my husband (who is Canadian). We have not vaxed our one year old. Does Canada have exemptions? Also, does one's immunization status have an effect on the immigration process?

Would appreciate any insights!
The short answer is NO.

Both hubby and I are Canadian and lived her our whole lives. In the mid 90's we moved to Dallas, Texas (USA) and our son was born there. When we moved back I had to apply for Citizenship for my son who had never been vaxed. I was never once asked about any sort of vax at all.

Also, we live in Ontario where school entry states your child must be vaxed. But, as per the charter of rights and freedoms we just signed an exemption and no questions were ever asked.

Vax shouldn't be a problem for you.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
Old 01-11-2009, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

To answer one respondent, we would be moving to B.C., where my husband is from.

Thank you for the replies! : )

Rosebud1
Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We just had to do our medicals to come to Canada (from South Africa and because it is a 3rd world country the medicals are pretty hectic) NO-ONE asked about vaccines etc. we never said anything and there were no problems.

BTW, we came on a work permit, but I've heard that the Permanent Residency medicals are exactly the same.

User Tag List