when to start exemption process? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-11-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in UT, and there has been a few posts about it being a bit difficult to get a religious exemption in the state. my son is 8 months old, so won't be attending school anytime soon, but I'm afraid that by the time he does start school, it will be tougher to get an exemption. If I go get one now, will it forever exempt him? I want to go with the religious even though my state has philosophical. I feel that WHEN the gov starts cracking down on exemptions, philosophical will be the first to go.
In Utah you have to name what religion you are (where I would name christian science). I'm also hoping that having a religious exemption will stop the pressure from pedi when I go and any possible dr. visits in the future. Any thoughts or experiences will be greatly appreciated!
#2 of 5 Old 01-11-2009, 07:02 PM

You have no need for an exemption now, so there's really no sense in having one IMO. You can keep one on file at the doc's, but it won't mean anything and you're still going to have to re-file with the school eventually (under whatever statutes are in place when your child goes to school).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sages View Post
I'm also hoping that having a religious exemption will stop the pressure from pedi when I go and any possible dr. visits in the future.
Unfortunately, no. If you happen to have a doc who is pushy about vaccines, an exemption isn't going to make a lick of difference. Exemptions have no legal bearing on physician care. They'll still pressure you, and they can still refuse to see your child if you refuse to vaccinate.

Honestly, you're better off spending your time & energy finding a doctor who will work with you and not hassle you about the vaccines.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#3 of 5 Old 01-11-2009, 07:05 PM
EVC

I might be wrong but....I don't see any point to doing it in advance. If they do away with exemptions, I don't think there is any way to be "grandfathered" in by dong one now.

Quote:
I'm also hoping that having a religious exemption will stop the pressure from pedi when I go and any possible dr. visits in the future.
Doctors don't care about exemptions. They are ONLY for daycare/school.

But I do think you are right to pursue a religious exemption rather than a philosophical one. As for the doctor, just say "it is against my religion" and leave it at that. Be prepared, however, that there are doctors who will drop unvax'ed patients regardless of the reason for not vaxx'ing.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#4 of 5 Old 01-11-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post

Doctors don't care about exemptions. They are ONLY for daycare/school.
Exactly.

We used only a naturopath for DS when we were doing well-kiddo visits, and even she had a box to check off, legally, asking us about vaccinations. This is when she didn't even DO vaccinations. The third visit I raised my eyebrow, and she explained about the box to check off, I said "no thank you", she checked the box and moved on.

So she didn't pressure (what would be the point?), but she still had to ask.

If your doc won't drop it when you say "no" each time, I'd start looking to other docs.
#5 of 5 Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Utah is a pretty strong "parental rights" state, so I don't see philosophical going by the wayside here any time soon.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page