Is Mumps Something I Want My Child to Have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-14-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Wise Ones,

Is Mumps one of the things (like Chickenpox) I want my child to have?

We're non-vaxers and one of my son's little friends just came down with Mumps, so we could easily have him exposed. Would that be good?

TIA.

Blessings,

Mari
#2 of 21 Old 01-14-2009, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm not totally sure, but I would think that it would be because then your child will have immunity to it. In "The Vaccine Book" Dr. sears writes :
IS MUMPS SERIOUS?
--no. In fact, most kids who have mumps have some fever and a slight rash but not enough for anyone to worry about or even make a diagnosis.

***He continues to go on about how it can be more serious in teens and adults. so if I were you, I would expose my child. I am not a dr.! and I am relatively new to this vpd research. However, it sounds to me that mumps is like chicken pox in the sense that its not so bad for kids, but rough on adults and pregnant women...
#3 of 21 Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 PM

I would much rather have my child attain natural immunity than risk having a vaccination wear off after puberty.

My kids have had the mumps, like a cold with funny faces.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#4 of 21 Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM

It used to be something that small children tried to get (like we tried to get chicken pox as kids) to get it done while young. I think it's like the other viruses...in the sense that it's going to be rough the older your child gets.

If it were me I'd expose.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#5 of 21 Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 PM

I'd definitely try. Much better to have it as a child than as an adult, and he'll be immune for life.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#6 of 21 Old 01-14-2009, 09:34 PM

Possibly is something that you would like him to get exposed to. My mom was the oldest of nine and only one of her siblings got the mumps. Apparently it is not as easy to catch as is measles.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#7 of 21 Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 PM

I don't think I'd go for the mumps. It sounds much more serious than other childhood diseases. I'm saying this as someone who did a chicken pox party. I wouldn't willingly do the mumps.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#8 of 21 Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
I don't think I'd go for the mumps. It sounds much more serious than other childhood diseases. I'm saying this as someone who did a chicken pox party. I wouldn't willingly do the mumps.

Lisa
Mumps is generally an incredibly mild childhood disease, except for my cousin who had a rotten case and looked like the man in the moon with a toothache. I don't remember what it was like personally, because it was pretty much nothing.

I would certainly expose my kids if I had the opportunity.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#9 of 21 Old 01-15-2009, 01:15 AM

I had mumps in 4th grade for 2 weeks. I had a tootheache and looked like a hamster, but I didn't mind. I mean I was OFF SCHOOL for two weeks - I thought it was awesome!
My entire elementary had it, and not a single complication. that was in 1992.
#10 of 21 Old 01-15-2009, 12:33 PM

I would love to have my kids exposed. I know I sound like a nut, but I would much much rather they get it young and be safe as adults. Same thing with measles, we had a small "outbreak" here and I was bummed that my kids weren't exposed.
#11 of 21 Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 PM

Its usually so mild you might not even notice you have it. My brother had it. He was fine, not even sick. But they made me stay home too. I was so bored! If my kids got it I wouldn't be too worried.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#12 of 21 Old 01-15-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. All of this really helps.

I think I'd really like to have my son exposed.

I have an uncle who had it in his early 20's and it left him infertile. That was almost 50 years ago.

MUCH rather go through a few weeks of bumps and fevers than THAT!

Blessings,

Mari
#13 of 21 Old 01-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Mumps is incredibly mild. Milder than chickenpox according to everything I've read.

-Angela
#14 of 21 Old 01-15-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mari~ View Post
I have an uncle who had it in his early 20's and it left him infertile. That was almost 50 years ago.
I'd be interested in any details you have or verification. The idea of the possibility of infertility from mumps is so very unlikely that there are NO stats on it.

-Angela
#15 of 21 Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I had mumps. I was in bed for a week with a temperature and swollen glands in my neck. No problem.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#16 of 21 Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had mumps in elementary school. Basically 2 weeks off school, sitting around in bed, watching TV.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#17 of 21 Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM

I had mumps as a kid a few times. Never missed school, it was nothing. Really. Didn't even feel sick.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#18 of 21 Old 01-17-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Actually, mumps causes fewer complications than chickenpox. Most people exposed do not even develop parotitis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sarchik
My mom was the oldest of nine and only one of her siblings got the mumps. Apparently it is not as easy to catch as is measles.
Actually, most people who catch it just don't develop parotitis, which is the swelling most people associate with mumps. Only about 1/3 of people who catch it develop parotitis. It's very unlikely none of her siblings caught it. They probably just had cold symptoms. Back then no one knew that a cold could be the mumps. For instance, an old wives' tale is that you can't catch mumps until you have your 'jaw teeth'. Well, the 'jaw teeth' (molars) come in at age 2. Prior to age 2, mumps infection happens, but almost never causes parotitis. Mumps parotitis happens rarely before age 2, but almost never. So long ago they thought kids couldn't catch mumps before age 2, but in reality they caught it all the time and no one knew it.

I was vaxed for mumps and still caught it as a kid. I was three and I don't even remember it, so apparently it wasn't that bad. I do remember having CP, which I also had when I was three.
#19 of 21 Old 01-17-2009, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post

Actually, most people who catch it just don't develop parotitis, which is the swelling most people associate with mumps. Only about 1/3 of people who catch it develop parotitis.
Yes. I did not develop parotitis. I think the only reason why I diagnosed was because my brother did develop parotitis.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#20 of 21 Old 01-17-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Lisa
Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
Mumps is generally an incredibly mild childhood disease, except for my cousin who had a rotten case and looked like the man in the moon with a toothache. I don't remember what it was like personally, because it was pretty much nothing.
The Mumps vaccine, like the rubella vaccine, is not given because the diseases are dangerous to children. Mumps is given to prevent its contraction by pubescent and post pubescent males as they could become sterile from orchitis which is an acute inflammatory reaction of the testis secondary to infection. Most cases are associated with a viral mumps infection though other viruses and bacteria can cause orchitis.

20% of pre-pubescent males with mumps experience orchitis; t is rare in post-pubescent males.

Unilateral testicular atrophy (can cause loss of function) occurs in 60% of patients with orchitis.

STDs can also result in orchitis.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#21 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM

Id go for it...
I am currently wondering how I can purposly expose my DS - I want him to have it like I exposed him to chicken pox. Get the natural immunity done and over with!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page