Just a quick question.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new here, but I thought this would be the perfect place to ask a question that I have had about vax/non vax.

I am not being confrontational, just curious.

If you do not vaccinate, and you send your child to public schools with other children... your belief is that not vax is best for your child and right, how does that play into those parents that believe that vaccinating their child is the best thing, and now an unvax child is putting other children at risk when some diseases that have been almost eradicated because of vax. ARe the lives of those Vax children not as important?
#2 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 01:34 PM

If the vaxes work, as they think, why worry?

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
Exactly.
#4 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

BTW... I am not totally against not Vax. I hate the fact that neither one of my older children have gotten the Chicken Pox because of the Vax. I am worried about her getting it when they are adults, and also worried because I am not 100% sure if the booster is going to work... grrr. I believe that Vax are important for diseases such as polio and meningistis, but chicken pox.......no
#5 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
interesting, but although a vaccine may seem to be eradicated (in the US)... such as with polio, with global connection it would be easy for someone to return to the US with a virus such as this. Would it not?
#6 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemygirlsx3 View Post
interesting, but although a vaccine may seem to be eradicated (in the US)... such as with polio, with global connection it would be easy for someone to return to the US with a virus such as this. Would it not?
But if you think the vax works, again, and if you have vaxed your DC...why worry? They are protected, in your opinion, so my unvaxed kid should be of no concern.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#7 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But if you think the vax works, again, and if you have vaxed your DC...why worry? They are protected, in your opinion, so my unvaxed kid should be of no concern.
Interesting, thanks for your opinions
#8 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
In 30 years there have only been 8 cases of polio being brought into the US. All other cases have been caused by the vaccine. There have been no wild cases of polio in that time.

Also if you think vaxes work then you should realize that most countries have the same vaxes we do, so therefore by your logic the same protection. Some countries like Mexico have much higher rates of coverage than we do here in the US. So it would be unlikely, if vaxes work, that a disease would come into the US.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#9 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I am new here, but I thought this would be the perfect place to ask a question that I have had about vax/non vax.

If you do not vaccinate, and you send your child to public schools with other children... your belief is that not vax is best for your child and right, how does that play into those parents that believe that vaccinating their child is the best thing, and now an unvax child is putting other children at risk when some diseases that have been almost eradicated because of vax. ARe the lives of those Vax children not as important?
I think our society as a whole would be healthier if no one vaxed.

Also, as mentioned, if the vaxes work, how would the unvaxed put the vaxed at risk?

If you inject live viruses into your children, aren't you concerned about exposing immune-compromised people?

If you vaccinate your children, aren't you concerned about skewing the immune systems of society as a whole by changing childhood diseases to adult diseases? If you vaccinate, aren't you concerned about messing with a balance that has evolved over millions of years?

-Angela
#10 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I believe that Vax are important for diseases such as polio and meningistis, but chicken pox.......no
Polio is controversial- research it more

Meningitis is a condition, not a disease. It can be caused by any number of viruses, bacteria, medicines, etc.

-Angela
#11 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Theoretically possible. Highly unlikely if the CDC is to be believed.

The polio vax currently in use in the US does not prevent transmission anyway.

-Angela
#12 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

This makes the assumption that all non vaxed children are harboring all kinds of diseases. Since in general (not always) unvaxed kids have more robust immune systems, they often do not get sick when exposed, and yes I agree with PP's. If you believe in the efficacy of vaccines what are you worried about being around my unvaccinated child??

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#13 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
If you vaccinate your children, aren't you concerned about skewing the immune systems of society as a whole by changing childhood diseases to adult diseases? If you vaccinate, aren't you concerned about messing with a balance that has evolved over millions of years?
And if you vaccinate, aren't you concerned with serotype replacement and that your actions are contributing to the emergence of new, more virulent strains, possibly resistant strains, that will affect the health of vaxed and non-vaxed individuals alike? How's that for putting people at risk?

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#14 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 PM

"The polio vax currently in use in the US does not prevent transmission anyway"

I have read this before- mostly in regards to the pertussis vaccine.
What exactly does it mean when a vax doesn't prevent transmission???
Does that mean that you won't get the disease but it won't stop you from giving it to someone else?? Or am i totally not in the ballpark :-)
Thanks!
#15 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 PM

You catch the disease and are able to pass it on to others, but the vaccine theoretically prevents the development of toxins that produce symptoms.
#16 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernG View Post
You catch the disease and are able to pass it on to others, but the vaccine theoretically prevents the development of toxins that produce symptoms.
:

For pertussis. But for polio it's a bit different- the current vax theoretically prevents the paralysis symptoms.

-Angela
#17 of 23 Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

So does anyone have any specific literature or something to read that explains how certain vaccines don't prevent transmission???
B/c that totally dismisses the whole argument of "what if your child gets it and gives it to someone that has a bad immune system- aren't you at fault??"

thanks!
#18 of 23 Old 01-16-2009, 01:17 PM

And I do believe (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the cases of polio that paralyzed so many people back in the 50s and 60s were mostly DDT poisoning from chemicals in fields, right? So of course the stats on polio show that it went waaaaay way down after the vax started showing up!
#19 of 23 Old 01-16-2009, 06:09 PM

I agree with all that went before me and would like to add: my children and THEIR health are my concern, I do not have responsibility for society's health, only for my own family.

ETA: if my child has an adverse reaction to a vaccine, society will not take responsibility for them, why should I place society before my child?

Austin June 2006; Xander March 2008; Shay Nov 2009; 5 babies gone to heaven.
#20 of 23 Old 01-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
And I do believe (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the cases of polio that paralyzed so many people back in the 50s and 60s were mostly DDT poisoning from chemicals in fields, right? So of course the stats on polio show that it went waaaaay way down after the vax started showing up!
:

Polio has been around since ancient egypt and is a benign flu-like illness. Even in the 20th century when kids were getting paralyzed they still only represented 1% of all infections. Even President Roosevelt did not have polio. I did an article on polio as DDT poisoning if you want to read on my blog (in sig - search for polio)
#21 of 23 Old 01-19-2009, 07:29 PM

Well, if the vaccines work so darn well, I don't see the need for worry. Right?
#22 of 23 Old 01-19-2009, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#23 of 23 Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM

I've seen the pro-vax argument that mutated diseases will come from our children which is why we should be avoided lest we bring about a new plague.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page