Freshly vaxed SIL around unvaxed son!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My SIL just came over. After talking for awhile she tells me she just got a tetnus shot because she has an upper respitory illness and the dr. didn't want her getting WC. (?) I asked her why she would get a tetnus shot for that and she said it was actually the DTP. The doc didn't want her illness turning into WC so they gave her the shot? Anyway, my 8 month old has no vaxs. I'm a bit concerned now...anyone have any words of comfort (or of warning) for me?
I will be busily researching this while I await your help! Thank you!
I'm aware that pertussis is not a live vaccine, but for some reason I thought diptheria was, but cannot find the info on that now. Am I getting it confused with rotavirus maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-18-2009, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My word of advice is to make sure you never use her doctor for anything. Other than that, no worries. TDaP (which is prob the version she got) is not a live vaccine. She can't pass it on. Only the live vaxes can be passed, the most common of those are MMR, varicella, and rotavirus.

I say stay clear of that doc because he/she is either A) ridiculously stupid because a cold can not "turn into" pertussis. Pertussis is a bacteria, a cold is a virus. Or B) the doc routinely lies and fear mongers people into doing whatever he/she wants done.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#3 of 6 Old 01-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the biggest risk to your 8 mo is that your SIL came to visit while suffering from an upper respiratory infection. You should talk to her about that. She should be home recovering, not spreading her contagion (whatever it may be) throughout the community.

You and I (and a lot of people here) may not see eye-to-eye on the risks of vaccination (I got here from "New Posts" and just noticed what forum I was in), but I think a lot of disease could be prevented if sick people limited their activities and contact with the public - and especially with immunologically vulnerable people like babies - until they felt better. I have every sympathy for people who need to make a run to Safeway for cough syrup and chicken soup, but visiting a relative's baby while sick is unnecessary.
#4 of 6 Old 01-18-2009, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I dont think DTP is a live vaccine so there is no shedding. Your baby will be fine. Personally I think that doctor is a quack for doing that but whatever.

I choose not to worry about vaccines shedding as I can only control what happens to my DC and not everybody else. I figure she is bound to run into freshly vaxed people and at least it will encounter her Th1 level first and be dealt with properly by her immune system anyway.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#5 of 6 Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"I say stay clear of that doc because he/she is either A) ridiculously stupid because a cold can not "turn into" pertussis. Pertussis is a bacteria, a cold is a virus. Or B) the doc routinely lies and fear mongers people into doing whatever he/she wants done."

I know! That was what was so weird to me! WC is not like pnemonia where an untreated "respitory illness" (notice they didn't have a real diagnosis...) can turn into pertussis! I think she said the dr. in the ER did it...but not totally sure.
#6 of 6 Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
I think the biggest risk to your 8 mo is that your SIL came to visit while suffering from an upper respiratory infection. You should talk to her about that. She should be home recovering, not spreading her contagion (whatever it may be) throughout the community.

You and I (and a lot of people here) may not see eye-to-eye on the risks of vaccination (I got here from "New Posts" and just noticed what forum I was in), but I think a lot of disease could be prevented if sick people limited their activities and contact with the public - and especially with immunologically vulnerable people like babies - until they felt better. I have every sympathy for people who need to make a run to Safeway for cough syrup and chicken soup, but visiting a relative's baby while sick is unnecessary.

I agree with this poster. Your SIL should not be around your baby (or anybody else)if she is hacking everywhere!!!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page