My daughter has mumps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first time posting, but I have lurked on this board for well over a year.

I have a daughter that turned one last December. I was really hesitant about vaxing and originally planned on delaying all vaxes until she was 2. I came across this board, and after listening to all of you and following all of the direction you provided to research (along with much of my own), dh and I decided that we will not be vaxing any of our children, ever.

It was largely thanks to all of you that we had the courage to stand up to our doctor (who is actually quite supportive) and say that we weren't vaxing her. It was also thanks to all of you that when I realized dd probably had the mumps a few days ago, I wasn't panicked and also felt secure and informed enough to walk into the pedi office and hold my head high.

We are doing the proper blood work to make sure that it doesn't turn into anything else (meningitis and a few other things), but felt terrific about our decision not to vax! Dd is a little puffy and her sleep is pretty rough at night, but other than that, she is in great spirits! The doctor and nurses kept saying they couldn't believe how happy she was

Anyway, I really wanted to come out from the shadows to thank everyone for taking the time to post your experiences and thoughts, and to share all of your research. You have made a tremendous impact on my life and on my daughter's (and all of our future children).
#2 of 15 Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 PM

Congratulations! I wish we were neighbors so that you could share with us.
#3 of 15 Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
By the way, since she is only one years old, she is too young to get the MMR, which is supposed to protect against it. I had mumps at age ten years; I looked like a chipmunk. That was before the vaccine was even developed.

My son and niece had measles in the early 1990s, a very mild case, when they were too young for the vaccine also.

If you want to know how to treat it, I suggest Dr. Robert Mendelsohn's How To Raise A Healthy Child....In Spite Of Your Doctor. There is an entire chapter dedicated to the treatment of VPDs.

Congratulations!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#4 of 15 Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Our pedi office does MMR at 12 months, I think, so she could have been vaxed. I got a mini-lecture about the importance of vaxing, but it was pretty harmless and didn't make me feel bad, so I just blew it off.

I do want to get that book! It's been referenced here a few times and it sounds really good.

It's so funny to me that when I told my mom dd had mumps she almost cried and was so worried and then I come here and everyone congratulates us! We are quite pleased that she has mumps The only reason I feel bad about it is I know that the next time our pedi sees someone that is hesitant about vaxing and isn't well enough educated to not be afraid of mumps, he will let them know that he just saw a 13 month old with them and convince them to vax.
#5 of 15 Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernG View Post
We're in MN, so if anyone wants to head over...
#6 of 15 Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I do want to get that book!
It is over twenty years old and I do believe it can still be found on Amazon or in most public libraries, or a health food store that has used books, or if you have a crunchy, old neighbor with grown kids, like me. I am in L.A.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#7 of 15 Old 01-23-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
It is over twenty years old and I do believe it can still be found on Amazon or in most public libraries, or a health food store that has used books, or if you have a crunchy, old neighbor with grown kids, like me. I am in L.A.
B&N still carries it in most stores - it is quite a hit!
#8 of 15 Old 01-23-2009, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bet it feels pretty good to know that mumps is no big deal and she is dealing with it just fine!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#9 of 15 Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernG View Post
That was my first thought lol.

My brothers experience with mumps was like that too. I hope my kids experience is the same.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#10 of 15 Old 01-24-2009, 05:10 AM

ammiga, mumps is a reportable disease, which means your doctor is required by law to report your daughter's case to the health department. Did the doctor do this? What happened?

I'm always curious about what happens in these cases. I like my privacy, so I will avoid notifiying my children's doctor of any reportable vaccine associated disease until it has passed, should they ever get one.
#11 of 15 Old 01-24-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJosemama View Post
ammiga, mumps is a reportable disease, which means your doctor is required by law to report your daughter's case to the health department. Did the doctor do this? What happened?

I'm always curious about what happens in these cases. I like my privacy, so I will avoid notifiying my children's doctor of any reportable vaccine associated disease until it has passed, should they ever get one.
Yes, the doctor was going to report the mumps. So far nothing has happened after we left the pedi office. No privacy invasion issues I'll keep you posted if anything changes!
#12 of 15 Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJosemama View Post

The times when my children had anything that was reportable (wc and salmonella) I got a call from the Health Dept. Its a basic read from a sheet thing. I mean seriously they could send a letter with the info in it, not like we don't already know the stuff. Like wash your hands, wash the hands of your children.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#13 of 15 Old 01-25-2009, 01:02 AM

I'm so glad you're still confident of your decision and she's dealing with the mumps just fine. What a great mama you are.
#14 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 AM

glad she is in good spirits. may everyone who gets it have such an experience.
#15 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 AM

Congratulations on getting the mumps. Wish we had them for all our grandchildren.

All three of my own kids had them at the same time back in ca 1974.

The older dd had it on both sides, but not too severe. The younger dd had it on one side only and hardly noticeable but our middle child (boy) had them very severe. He also had cold sores on both lower and upper lips, had to wear a scarf to hold up his chin, could barely eat and ran a high fever. He was miserable for a few days, but overall tolerated it well.

It all passed within 2 weeks. We did not call a doctor since I knew what it was from my own childhood. I don't know whether it was reportable back then, but if it was, well, my kids did not get on any list.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page