WA requires immunization record or picture ID for SS card - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So our DD is 6 days shy of 8 months and we never got her card. The hospital was supposed to have requested one but never could figure out why it was taking so long for us to receive it. We went in to the office today with her birth certificate. At some point, I took my DD back to the car to nurse and figured our number would be called soon and we'd be able to get it quickly and leave. But time went on and I started wondering what the problem was. Stupid me for not simply expecting one with everything.

Well, DH finally came back and he was pissed off. He told me they would not give him the card. Firstly, they called it a replacement when they never even sent the first one to begin with. Secondly, they require an immunization record as ID. (I checked the website when we got home and this is not mentioned as a requirement.) He told her we chose not to vaccinate and nowhere does it say they require this record. She apparently told him in a snide tone, 'Well I guess we should start telling people.' (No, we should all be mind readers. In fact, we should just keep immunization records handy for every single thing in the world from now on.) Then she told him the only other option is a picture ID from the DOL.

We're not entirely sure we can get this for her in WA, but I'll be calling them tomorrow to find out. If that's what it takes, fine. Now, my DH and I have fought over the vaccination issue, but the resistance from the pediatrician had at least put him on the fence regarding the issue, I'm sure. It became a non-issue the moment he got fiery with me. Well, now I'm glad I wasn't the one to say, 'If they can find a way to force you to vaccinate, they will.' I'm proud of him for seeing this...finally. At least I'm no longer going to be the conspiracy theorist.
#2 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercupmama View Post
So our DD is 6 days shy of 8 months and we never got her card. The hospital was supposed to have requested one but never could figure out why it was taking so long for us to receive it. We went in to the office today with her birth certificate. At some point, I took my DD back to the car to nurse and figured our number would be called soon and we'd be able to get it quickly and leave. But time went on and I started wondering what the problem was. Stupid me for not simply expecting one with everything.

Well, DH finally came back and he was pissed off. He told me they would not give him the card. Firstly, they called it a replacement when they never even sent the first one to begin with. Secondly, they require an immunization record as ID. (I checked the website when we got home and this is not mentioned as a requirement.) He told her we chose not to vaccinate and nowhere does it say they require this record. She apparently told him in a snide tone, 'Well I guess we should start telling people.' (No, we should all be mind readers. In fact, we should just keep immunization records handy for every single thing in the world from now on.) Then she told him the only other option is a picture ID from the DOL.

We're not entirely sure we can get this for her in WA, but I'll be calling them tomorrow to find out. If that's what it takes, fine. Now, my DH and I have fought over the vaccination issue, but the resistance from the pediatrician had at least put him on the fence regarding the issue, I'm sure. It became a non-issue the moment he got fiery with me. Well, now I'm glad I wasn't the one to say, 'If they can find a way to force you to vaccinate, they will.' I'm proud of him for seeing this...finally. At least I'm no longer going to be the conspiracy theorist.

This is not true. We didn't vaccinate, and we applied for a birth certificate and his social security card on our own - as our hospital doesn't do it for you. We NEVER ran into this issue. Ask to speak to this womans supervisor.

Me:
#3 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

That's assuming they haven't changed their policies recently. The site does say medical records can be used but the hospital already made the request anyway. They printed her number for us. They just wouldn't give the card. Apparently a few people ahead of us were dealing with the same issue so I'm not so sure it's just her.
#4 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 01:40 AM

When I ran into this here in AZ I was told I could use a receipt from the dr with his name on it. I actually had one in my purse so that was kinda nice. If you have health insurance you can probably use the card from that as well. A religious record can also work like a baptismal record.

Since you have the number you don't really need the card, but technically you are getting a replacement. Getting an original is actually getting a new number. Mail gets stolen, lost, misdirected so if it got sent to you thats what could have happened. When it happened to us there was no record on my ds' behalf so we had to get the original.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#5 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am in CA.

I had a home birth.

I got my DS's SS# by publishing his birth in the announcements in the newspaper, getting a letter from the pediatrician, and using a notarized birth announcement. I did have problems at the first SSA office I went to, so I went to another one.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#6 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 04:09 AM

A vaccination record doesn't neccesarily need to have vaccinations on it. A blank one is still a vaccination record.

In washington state, there is a check box on the form to have a SSN assigned. If the person inputing it into the computer didn't tick the box, you won't get a card and your baby won't be in the system. If they did, the card tends to come in less than 2 months.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#7 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Don't go to the doctor. Only currently have medicaid for her. Don't know if that will count.

They never told us it was definitely mailed to us. They're always keeping us waiting/on hold trying to find out.

I wanted a home birth...but the only midwife I could find to do one was booked.
#8 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 04:21 AM

Bummer! If she's not in the system, you can apply for one now.
I've heard that SSA is variable - if you go on different days, you get different people and have an easier or harder time.
I wonder if you could call Vital Statistics and find out what was inputed - ie, was a SSN requested for her? http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehsphl/CHS/CHS-Data/main.htm

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#9 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 05:01 AM

Social Security is a federal program. The real requirements are the same in every state.

Unless something has changed, they gave you the wrong information.
#10 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

I'll probably call them on Monday to find out more. My DH said they wouldn't have given him the number if he didn't throw a fit.

We were given an immunization card in the hospital, but since she never got any, they didn't even put her name on it. So it's useless.

At least we have the number for now. I'll probably try to get her the picture ID anyway. Could be useful. You never know.
#11 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 01:01 PM

The WA state immunization record is just a piece of paper you can print off from their website. On one side it has the space to record what vaxes are received and on the back is the section for exemptions. My son's immunization record is that form , our exemption checked on the reverse side and my signature. If that's all they want why not give it to them? It's official.
#12 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 01:16 PM

Here is the legal requirements for proving your child's identity from the SSA website:

Identity

Your child: We can accept only certain documents as proof of your child’s identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your child’s name, identifying information and preferably a recent photograph. We generally can accept a non-photo identity document if it has enough information to identify the child (such as the child’s name and age, date of birth or parents’ names). We prefer to see the child’s U.S. passport. If that document is not available, we may accept the child’s:

Adoption decree;
Doctor, clinic or hospital record;
Religious record (e.g., baptismal record);
Daycare center or school record; or
School identification card.

It says NOTHING about a vaccination record.
#13 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

For one thing, I don't know that they would accept something without an external signature. Anyone can sign a form like that. I don't see it as valid ID so I don't see why they would. Also, if the website doesn't claim it's necessary and the only thing you get from calling their number is a recording telling you how to get there, I challenge any new parent to go prepared. As far as I'm concerned, the hospital making the request is proof enough that she exists and my DH's ID and SS are proof enough that he is her father as per the documents in their possession. I don't see what more needs to be proved.
#14 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJosemama View Post
Social Security is a federal program. The real requirements are the same in every state.

Unless something has changed, they gave you the wrong information.
Exactly, which is why I simply went to another SSA office.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#15 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Exactly, which is why I simply went to another SSA office.
We may do that.
#16 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercupmama View Post
We may do that.
Definitely do that.

And yes, it seems silly that that little booklet with the clear plastic cover could actually be considered ID. But it is considered to be so, which is ridiculous. But really, establishing ID for a baby is going to have a sense of the ridiculous, b/c you're telling them "this is my baby" and they get to say "OK, here's the card".

If there were other people having the same problem, it's definitely something on THEIR end, and they'll figure that out.

Sorry you had a hospital birth when you wanted a homebirth...I ended up with hospital baby-arrival b/c I hired the WRONG WA midwives...neither way is fun. Next time I'm going to Oregon or doing it on my own. (and will have extra fun getting a SSN for that baby!)
#17 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ouch. I don't envy you, but good luck with that adventure.
#18 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 06:14 PM

Print out the requirements for the id from the SSA website and take it with you. I would also carry the names and numbers for your congressmen and a cell phone.

After you have talked to the window clerk and her boss and still don't have a card, pull out your cell phone, call your congressman, and tell the aide who picks up the phone that you are at the Dumbtown Social Security office and that they are denying your child a social security card even though you have presented proper identification, and would Congressman Superhero be able to help a constituent with this issue.

If you have a voter card it has your actual district on it.

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#19 of 24 Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

hehe That sounds like a fun idea.
#20 of 24 Old 01-28-2009, 03:41 AM

Each office is different. I kid you not. Yes, print out the rules from the web site.
My son was adopted. I went to the SS office and waited 3 hours. I handed over his birth certificate and adoption decree, and they said it wasn't enough. Um, what? They wanted his shot record. I said, "We don't do shots." She said that a birth certificate wasn't enough because he could have died.
I said, "What if I bring him here?"
She said no dice. I have to prove that he's alive somehow, but without picture ID or something, how are you supposed to do that??
She decided that a doctor's bill would be acceptable. In the end, we had had one shot done, so I brought the record of that visit, along with the explanation of benefits from the insurance company.
Social Security sucks.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#21 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
We had the SSN office tell us The same thing. Funny part is, it's easier to successfully apply for a passport than for a SS card, and then you can use that to get the SS card. We applied for a card for my youngest using just his insurance card, and it didn't go through. They told me to expect it, but it never came. Never reapplied.

But I honestly don't put too much faith in that office, when I applied for my middle son's card, they sent me a card with my partners first name on it instead of my son's.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#22 of 24 Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, it's much easier in Ohio. All I had to do was take DS's birth certificate showing me as the mother, a current photo ID, and my marriage certificate since my name changed since he was born. I don't see how they think a vax record is going to prove he's alive anyway - who's to say that he hasn't died since it was filled out? I'm sorry you're having such a hard time!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#23 of 24 Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Wow, it's much easier in Ohio. All I had to do was take DS's birth certificate showing me as the mother, a current photo ID, and my marriage certificate since my name changed since he was born. I don't see how they think a vax record is going to prove he's alive anyway - who's to say that he hasn't died since it was filled out? I'm sorry you're having such a hard time!
That's the thing...there are people from WA on here who did NOT have any problems...she needs to go to a different office.
#24 of 24 Old 02-10-2009, 02:48 PM

Did you happen to do this in Lynnwood? I went there to get my son's name changed because SS misspelled it. They wanted all kinds of stuff, even though I had his birth certificate showing the correct name and the ss. card showing it misspelled. The woman was sooo rude, she started lecturing me on not bringing enough entertainment for my kids...as if I anticipated being there for 3 freaking hours with 2 preschoolers and an infant. They weren't really even misbehaving.

Anyway, to get even with them, I borrowed a hyperactive child and brought him along with me to the next appt. I let the kids run around and scream as loud as they wanted...which was really, really loud. I just sat down and relaxed. The kids were throwing things and spraying each other with the water fountain. They started opening window after window until they got to me.LOL I'm guessing that the noise level was a little too much for them and they opened all the windows until they finally got me taken care of. I was there less than an hour.LOL

So, next time, borrow a hyperactive, loud child...it seems to get them moving a little faster.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page