Help me educate my congressman - please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-24-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my congressman (whom I did NOT vote for, but that's neither here nor there) was at my local grocery store today. I thought it the perfect opportunity to meet him and discuss my concern about vaccines. I didn't bring any research with me as I thought that this would be a more casual conversation. Anyone get a sense of foreboding?

He was asking for facts and figures and I was just sputtering. To sum up his responses: "Didn't they prove there was no link between autism and vaccines?" "The vaccine argument is like the seatbelt argument, people may not like them but they save lives." "I don't believe in letting some people take a risk (meaning get the vaccine) so other people don't have to." "If there is very little risk and a huge benefit it seems like there is no argument there."

I waited an hour to have my behind handed to me because I didn't bring my computer to back me up. The only time I was able to stump him was to say that if he believes vaccines work the only person who could potentially be harmed is the unvaxed person. He just skipped right over that.

He fancies himself a scientist, so I would like to prepare a COMPREHENSIVE collection of data for him - specifically with links to information about the vaccines NOT being tested for safety, etc. I know there was a great post in here that discussed that.

So please please spam me your best ammunition. I was so upset I was shaking in the produce section because he was so, well, political about the whole thing. And he had no good response when I asked what gave the government the right to legislate what I put in my child's body.

Help me mamas. I don't know if I will even make a difference, but it is dangerous for a congressman to be so ignorant.
applejuice likes this.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#2 of 7 Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM

I don't have the comprehensive data you are looking for, but it's pretty easy to look up the exact years when each disease started to decline and then when the vax was introduced. Usually, the decline started well before the vax. There are plenty of those charts around this board and the sites listed in various posts.

You can also pinpoint other factors, like better water filtering systems, a sharp rise in formula feeding (so less bfing), and others. The decline in bfing certainly didn't help any disease prevention in the 40-50's. The water filtration systems did help and probably helped to strengthen people's images of the vaxes, unfortunately.

Good luck!
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well I have spent the last 3 years pulling all of my research together. To compile a comrehensive list would be impossible!

I would focus on getting a few key peices together and sending them to him, but i wouldn't hold my breath. hopefully it may make him at least pause. I have so little time, but i will try and pm you some stuff I think may be useful...may take me a few days to get it all together.
applejuice likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Banned

You didn't get many responses yet. Why don't you type up and post a rough draft and let others add to it?
applejuice likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 AM

suschi compiled this list which might be helpful to you. I am sure she doesn't mind me posting it -

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...81&postcount=7
applejuice likes this.
#6 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Who is your congressman?

Representative Dan Burton-R, of IN, introduced the legislation that took mercury out of the vaccines back in 1999. He has grand children with autism. You could have asked him if he was in favor of that legislation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Burton

Quote:
As of early 2008, Burton continued to maintain a page on his Congressional website called House.gov "Wellness Information" which included his speeches, transcripts from hearings, and newspaper articles on the relationship of autism and vaccines; the most recent posting was from June 2005.

(40 words)

#7 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 03:44 AM

Inside Vaccines
A User-Friendly Guide to Child's Vaccinations

Both of which can be found at the bottom of this page:
http://www.rmcsquared.net/The_Chitti...ily/Links.html

Good luck!

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page