...but if your child gets Polio you'll never forgive yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
Besides, like has been pointed out many times before, most of the terrible crippling cases of polio 50 and 60 years ago was actually DDT poisoning, not polio. I believe that is what crippled my FIL when he was a little boy.
Really? That's interesting...I hadn't heard that before. Would love to know more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post

Not to mention the facts that:

-the diagnostic criteria for polio was changed after the vaccine came into widespread use
-people were not even tested for polio, they were diagnosed based on a set of symptoms. So from my understanding, no blood tests, etc.
Yep...in chiro school, the school's founder's wife was a young nurse at the time the vaccine was created. She had been in school before, and they were taught a certain set of symptoms. After she started working, the vaccine was created, and then they were re-taught the new set. Well the symptoms didn't change, they just varied...higher fever than before, longer fever than before...what would have been diagnosed at polio the day before the vaccine was now NOT polio the day after (I'm fudging the dates, definitely, here). She was a very interesting person to know.
#32 of 45 Old 01-31-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
I might respond to this comment with

"Well since 95% of Polio cases present like the common cold, I probably could forgive myself"
Aren't the odds even better than that, though? I just read a pro-vax blurb saying polio resulted in paralysis in 1/200 cases, which would mean it DIDN'T 99.5% of the time, and that's only if the figures aren't exagerrated or incorrect.

Although one could have more than a cold without resulting paralysis...
#33 of 45 Old 01-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post
Really? That's interesting...I hadn't heard that before. Would love to know more!
Polio was DDT poisoning: So interesting with the charts too:

http://www.harpub.co.cc/
#34 of 45 Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post
[I]

caro113, hugs to you for having an OB walking out on you like that. Happened with my homebirth midwife, too...I had to apologize to her before she'd come back to the room and continue to stay with me...of course, I should have let her leave, she sent me right to the hospital after quite a bit of mindgame nonsense!

Thanks Truthfully, if I hadn't been at 9cm and an hour and a half + away from home, I would have just left. She kept telling me she didn't go to medical school to hurt people. I just hate how people just assume we are crazy and uneducated and just plain stupid bc we plan a homebirth and refuse to vax.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#35 of 45 Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM

oh I really wish you ladies were my neighbors: I need the suuport!! dd is going to be 2 this month and dh is putting pressure on me to start vaxing, when I am dead against it, but that's another story.

I saw one of my friends this weekend who had her dd on election day and she admitted that she got the vaxes when she was originally in the same camp as I. My other friend who has a 5 mo old started talking about the costs - $400 for one shot!!!!???? Now I know why all those drug co's are fat city......for crying out loud!!

then, last week I noticed a band aid on a student's arm ( I am a HS teacher) and asked her about it: she had gotten the 3rd Gardasil shot! It just saddens me to no end........
#36 of 45 Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 AM

I really don't understand the gardisil shot .. maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but why exactly would a mother encourage her teenage daughter to get a vax to prevent an STD? Exactly how is that NOT promoting teen sex? and teen motherhood since she now doesn't need to worry about getting the STD so why bother spending the money on the condoms? I dunno, I just don't get it.

As far as you being against vax, have you presented your case to DH? DP was very against not vaxing in the beginning (he was pretty much all for the mainstream since that was all he knew and he couldn't figure out why vaxes would be bad) but after I showed him all this literature, he finally agreed with me. Go to the resources area and you'll find plenty of literature to show him. This is something I found on someone else's signature: http://www.sunherb.com/truth_about_vaccines.htm

Stand your ground and don't give up. If you are dead set against, then don't cave in, unless you really feel it's the right choice.

Good Luck

PS: there's another website, vaccine911 I think, where they tell you of all these horror stories about vaxes. They have pictures of these beautiful babies and then say how they were killed by vaxes. You could always try to scare him into it.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#37 of 45 Old 02-02-2009, 12:44 AM

yeah .. vaccine911.com and then go to "Vaccine Injury" up top and then on the left you can go to "search memorials". I warn you though, it is heartbreaking. I can't even look at it because it makes me cry, all those beautiful healthy babies who have lost their lives (which is even sadder) or those who now have physical disabilities (like autism, deafness, etc)

#38 of 45 Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Banned

IF the polio vaccine even works, which they haven't proved
and
IF your child came in contact with Polio
and
IF your child caught polio
and
IF your child was in the 5% of people who have symptoms when they catch polio
and
IF your child was in that small percentage that includes malnourished immune compromised people who have severe reactions
and
IF vaccines were safe, and made with safe ingredients, and didn't carry risks of their own.
and
IF the risks of CATCHING the disease in the first place wasnt lower then having a bad reaction to a vaccine

THEN a person might "not be able to forgive themselves"

but speaking from experience, It's a lot harder to forgive yourself when your child has a bad reaction to a vaccine because you didn't do your research enough to know that the dangers of vaccines outweight the dangers of the diseases, most of which your children wont come into contact with anyway.
#39 of 45 Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
Actually if my kid got polio I would really be wondering where they got it from. And I would be amazed any dr would be able to diagnosis it. I would probably be too stunned to be hating myself.

I also hear the "you'll never forgive yourself." About hbing and co sleeping.

I probably would be snarky and say, "How would you know? Do you have a lot of regret about your parenting practices?"
I need to remember this when IL's (all doctors of various rank) freak out about hb, cosleeping, *breastfeeding* and no vax.... This totally is the point, although it might hit too raw of a nerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by caro113 View Post
Thanks Truthfully, if I hadn't been at 9cm and an hour and a half + away from home, I would have just left. She kept telling me she didn't go to medical school to hurt people. I just hate how people just assume we are crazy and uneducated and just plain stupid bc we plan a homebirth and refuse to vax.
Yes..... this seems to be a common misconception.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#40 of 45 Old 02-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
I probably would be snarky and say, "How would you know? Do you have a lot of regret about your parenting practices?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
Now I would never forgive myself if my child was damaged by a vaccine. I'd rather treat a sick child than damage a healthy one.
I know I'm late but I just wanted to say I LOVE both these comments. You gals are awesome!

mama to three little ladies
#41 of 45 Old 02-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

If my child got hit by a car while we were on many of our walks together, I would never forgive myself either -- but yet, we still manage to leave the house.

I mean, that is a ridiculous comment in my opinion.

I choose not to make fear-based decisions, but rather, information, intuition, spiritually-guided, and evidence-based ones.
#42 of 45 Old 02-12-2009, 02:31 PM
SLA

what was the cause of polio? do they know? what are the guesses? was it contagious? i guess it would have to be, since this high concern. someone posted that 95% of cases present like the common cold, what are some of the other symptoms? if someone did come down with it, does anyone know what steps should be taken?

thanks for any help/suggestion or guidance.

Shelly
Maryland
3 kiddies, 2 living, 3.8 and 3 months, both vaccine free!!!
#43 of 45 Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnica

"Well since 95% of Polio cases present like the common cold, I probably could forgive myself"
Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
A very good point.
Not quite. Actually, 90-95% remained asymptomatic and only 4-8% manifest non-specific symptoms like flu, abdominal discomfort, N/V etc., which are self-limiting. Hence, the diagnosis of polio at this stage is irrelevant. But there is only one event where a non-diseased human can get polio 100% over time, that is thru the purposeful inoculation of polio virus in the body.

Vaccine-free is disease-free.
#44 of 45 Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasAPmom View Post
My ped. had the gall to tell me that of all vaccines, Polio is one of the MOST important ones.
Haha! That cracks me up. My kids' old ped. was very similar. Actualllly... only .4% of the polio cases in the U.S. were paralytic polio. The other 99.6% manifested as a cough or cold symptoms for about 4 days before clearing up completely on it's own. Only after the establishment freaked out and went in search of the vaccine (which is rumored to have introduced HIV to our world) did we start seeing the paralytic polio increase. Several New England states even banned the vaccine because they previously had ZERO cases of paralytic polio in their states, which jumped much higher after the vaccination started causing it!

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#45 of 45 Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Actually 90-95% are asymptomatic, meaning they have no symptoms whatsoever. 4-8% present itself like the common cold and less than 1% are paralytic polio (re: CDC website).

EDIT: Oops. I see that someone already mentioned this!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page