Need support. Little one has a cold - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, well my 2 year old dd started daycare last week and everyone at daycare was sick with runny noses and colds. Well, now she has a cold. She always runs a really high fever for a couple of days. Last night it was 103.5, but she usually recovers pretty quickly. The fever is back down too 100.5 today. My mother, mother in law and husband all think I should take her to the doctor. Well, my husband calls the doctor to ask if we should take her in. I told him not to, because of course they are going to say yes. Well, the doctor proceeds to lecture him about our decision not the vaccinate. She said that dd has several "issues" and she can't rule anything out since she's not vaccinated and because she just started daycare. Our last trip to that dr resulted in a $400 bill for blood and urine work. They don't have an in house lab so they sent us to the hospital so she could "rule everything out." Turns out she just had a cold and everything checked out fine. So, I'm pretty sure she is going to suggest all of the lab work today and lecture me about vaccinations, etc. I'm so angry right now I could scream! I don't want to take her in, as I know it's just a cold that she will recover from in a couple of days. But, everyone thinks she needs to be on an antibiotic. I just wanted to come here for advice and support because I feel so alone in my decision not to vaccinate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 02:56 PM

If she has a cold, an antibiotic won't do anything for her and could actually make her sicker.

How many days has she been running a fever? If it's more than three a doctor visit might be in order.

You need a new ped who wo't bully you about your medical choices.

Get a copy of How to Raise a Healthy Child In Spite of Your Doctor by Robert Mendelsohn, MD. He was a pediatrician who was ostracized because he dared to tell parents how to care for their sick children at home without taking them into the doctor's office for every sniffle and fever. It's a great book and will probably set your mind greatly at ease.

Listen to your gut--do you think she is really that sick? Colds are common this time of year, especially in children who are constantly exposed to other kids. How do YOU feel about your DD's cold? Don't let yourself be railroaded into ignoring your instincts.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#3 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 03:12 PM

Personally, Hell no, I wouldn't take her back to that peditrician. I would give it about three days and if there are no signs of improvement, then I would take my child to the peditricians office, or if I hated the ped, I would just go to a walk-in clinic.

In the meantime, give Vit.C and whatever else you usually use to support immune function. I use Sambucol and an herbal tincture for respiritory support. I am kind of middle of the road when it comes to fever reducers. While I know it's not a good idea and the body needs to run a fever to fight infection, if my son has suffered w/ a high fever for too long, I usually give in and give it to him for relief. Not like every 4 hours though.
#4 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 03:15 PM

If you are certain that she just has a cold, there is absolutely no need to go to the doctor right now. However, there may be a time in the future where she does need medical attention, and you deserve to be able to receive that attention without paranoia and hassle from the doctor because she is not vaccinated. I'd skip the doctor visit this time, but get straight to trying to find an alternative doctor in your area who respects your choices a little more.
#5 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 03:16 PM

Nope, I wouldn't even take her in. Your doctor works for you and you get to call the shots. Most colds/flu just need left alone to allow for healing. My daughter has had her fair share of sicknesses but I have never taken her in for a sick visit. There is really nothing they can do or should do anyway.
#6 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much! I'm certain it is just a cold and runny nose. The runny nose started Monday and the fever started mildly on Tuesday evening , but normal temps during the day and was high last night and is a tad elevated today. I know her and I know that her fevers are her way of fighting it. I wouldn't hesitate to take her in at all if I thought there was something more than a cold wrong with her. I ordered some sodium ascorbate Monday and should get it today in the mail. She's as happy as a lark today! I really appreciate the responses and the support on here. I don't know what I would do without this forum!
#7 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa21 View Post
Thank you all so much! I'm certain it is just a cold and runny nose. The runny nose started Monday and the fever started mildly on Tuesday evening , but normal temps during the day and was high last night and is a tad elevated today. I know her and I know that her fevers are her way of fighting it. I wouldn't hesitate to take her in at all if I thought there was something more than a cold wrong with her. I ordered some sodium ascorbate Monday and should get it today in the mail. She's as happy as a lark today! I really appreciate the responses and the support on here. I don't know what I would do without this forum!

Glad she is better. Colds suck, but they are important as well. It's only through illness that our children's immune system becomes stronger!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

That's true! I just became a supporting member for a year! : I figured it's what I would have spent at the docs anyway...I'm so grateful for all you ladies!
#9 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa21 View Post
Ok, well my 2 year old dd started daycare last week and everyone at daycare was sick with runny noses and colds. Well, now she has a cold. She always runs a really high fever for a couple of days. Last night it was 103.5, but she usually recovers pretty quickly.
Daycare is where children swap viruses. If they don't go to daycare, they don't escape the virus-swapping, they just postpone it for first grade.

If her typical pattern is to spike a fever and then recover quickly, that's her pattern. Keep her hydrated, cool baths, whatever.

If the fever stays more than typical for her, hits 104 or higher, she's extremely listless (more than the typical sick kid lack of energy), she refuses to take fluids, has vomiting and/or diarrhea, complains of pain in the muscles or a stiff neck, has difficulty breathing ... ANY of these indicate it's time to do more than the usual home nursing.
#10 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 01:04 PM

You need a different Dr. If you are using a ped I would switch to a family Dr.

My son had his first fever at 10 months: 104. Then ever subsequent fever was also 104. My daughter's fever temp is 102.

Keep a health log of your dd's illness so you can show your dh the patterns.

And make him read "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Dr." before he picks up the phone again.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#11 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 01:07 PM

High fever by itself is not dangerous according to Dr. Mendelsohn. Prolonged fever is much more of a concern. I wouldn't take a child in for a high fever unless there were other worrying symptoms.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#12 of 13 Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Insisting on invasive tests every time you go in, to "make a point" about your daughter's vaccination status is not ok!

It sounds like so far it's just been a normal cold, and doctors don't really do anything about those anyway - it's one of those things where you wait and wait in an office full of sick people, only to have the doctor tell you to drink plenty of fluids and get some rest. Although in your case, they would throw in some invasive testing just for the heck of it, by the sounds of it.

Obviously keep an eye on how she's doing, or for anything unusual, but otherwise I would think a day at the doctor's and the lab is actually the opposite of what she needs right now.
#13 of 13 Old 02-10-2009, 02:55 PM

The problem that I see, is that your ped. probably wouldn't diagnose a child with whooping cough if they did have it, because they were vax'd for it? Get what I'm saying? If she's that incapable of diagnosing in general, I would keep my kid the heck out of there permanently.

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page