Boosting Immune System? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-11-2009, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are some ways to help boost an infants immune system aside from breastfeeding?

I would love to ask a doctor that but I think the only
response I would get is "vaccines!!!"

Is there anything special you do, take, give to, your
non-vaxed babies?

And also, how do you pronounce titres?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 PM

We still breastfeed (dd is almost 14 months). Aside from that, I eat a healthy diet that is filled with fruits, veggies, whole foods, and almost nothing processed. I eat organic whenever possible. Dd eats mostly organic foods now, and also only eats whole foods.

I also wasn't afraid of dd getting sick (after she was a couple of months old). I think that allowing her to be around other kids, and catch a few of their sniffles and whatever else they had, and breastfeeding her through it, really helped her immune system. We don't take any extra supplements, but I have a ton of faith in our whole diet, exercise, and sunshine
#3 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i think these contribute to a healthy immune system, but for the record, NO ONE knows even more than a little about the immune system-it is so complex...
-good whole food diet thing
-good sleep
-no-stress
-laughing
-exercise
-fresh air

i also personally believe in herbs and supplements for both maintaining, preventing, and treating any illnesses. There are some chinese herbs that are solely meant for immune boosting. if you know of any homepath you might ask them.
#4 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisBeautifulWife View Post
What are some ways to help boost an infants immune system aside from breastfeeding?
As Lee Marvin sang in "Paint Your Wagon", the best things in life are dirty. Expose them to plenty of soil and animal microorganisms:
  • Exposure to dirt!
  • Intestinal parasites!
  • Exposure to big slobbery farm animals!

All that stuff - gardening without gloves, having a few rounds of worm infestations, and being around large farm animals - either "normalizes" the immune system so it doesn't mistake foods and the child for enemies, or actually enhances the response of the immune system to previously unknown pathogens.

The jury is still out on cat and dog contact ... it seems to help and then is seems to hinder, maybe because they aren't correcting for some variable like exposure to soil microorganisms.

Just get your tetanus vaccination, watch out for the Legionella in the compost pile, and it's all good dirty fun.
#5 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Gardens View Post
As Lee Marvin sang in "Paint Your Wagon", the best things in life are dirty. Expose them to plenty of soil and animal microorganisms:
  • Exposure to dirt!
  • Intestinal parasites!

All that stuff - gardening without gloves, having a few rounds of worm infestations, and being around large farm animals - either "normalizes" the immune system so it doesn't mistake foods and the child for enemies, or actually enhances the response of the immune system to previously unknown pathogens.

The jury is still out on cat and dog contact ... it seems to help and then is seems to hinder, maybe because they aren't correcting for some variable like exposure to soil microorganisms.

Just get your tetanus vaccination, watch out for the Legionella in the compost pile, and it's all good dirty fun.
I don't think I'll be giving my daughter any intestinal parasites or the tetanus shot any time soon. Isn't this the "I'm not vaccinating" board? As in, not giving our kids the tetanus vax?
#6 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Is there really solid evidence that infection with intestional parasites is good for human health?
#7 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
Is there really solid evidence that infection with intestional parasites is good for human health?
I believe so. I don't have the recent study to hand.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#8 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#9 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM

I'm looking into Cod liver oil and butter oil to supplement my families diets.
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...dliveroil.html
#10 of 14 Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I give my 10 month old son probiotics everyday (good gut flora is essential to a healthy immune system). We still BF, I also give him SA when he is ill or fighting a cold. I have also used natural remedies and herbs, but these have been provided by his naturopath. I wouldn't give him anything without the guidance of a professional. (an ND that is...not an MD!)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#11 of 14 Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 PM

Mine takes high-vitamin cod liver oil (got mine from radiantlifecatalog.com), Acerola Berry powder (for vitamin C, also from Radiant Life), unrefined extra virgin coconut oil, and Natren brand probiotics. She also eats fermented veggies like sauerkraut. I want to get into making my own homemade yogurt and kefir for probiotics too. All these, I believe, strengthen the immune system. She's almost 15 months old and hasn't been sick yet.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#12 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Gardens View Post
  • Exposure to dirt!
  • Intestinal parasites!

is it just me or does this seem a bit extreme?
#13 of 14 Old 02-16-2009, 05:55 PM

I have been giving DD probiotics since infancy. A homeopath suggested it to me, we use a refrigerated, powdered kind that you can put in a beverage or mix with applesauce, etc. DD has had colds, of course, but I do find illnesses seem to be shorter and milder than other kids. Most of the immune system is in the gut, so keeping things healthy in there is important.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#14 of 14 Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
OT I have seen a study where they use worms to cure colitis. The immune system start to attack the worms instead of the bowel and the person is healthy. I cant remember what the worm was called but it was pretty harmless.

I keep a germy house. As in I dont use disinfectants. I keep it clean in appearance only. I think kids need germs. Also I give her vitamin C and D when she is sick. I give her probiotics every few days as well. I also try to avoid antibiotics and I havent needed them yet. I have cure her eye infection with breastmilk. I put breastmilk on any scrapes or cuts and will probably use it for an ear infection if she ever gets one.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page