Composing a religious exemption letter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The time has come - my daughter made the cut (lottery) for the park district preschool. I need to properly express our deeply held religious objections to vaccination. In Illinois, you have to state your religious beliefs with specificity. I have looked at some of the websites and have the general idea - but I am not affiliated with a specific organized church at this time and I do not want the exemption to be a problem now or in the future (for religious reasons, we have no plans to vaccinate now or in the future, so we will continue to need the exemption).

I also feel that it is intrusive of the government to ask for my specific religious objection to immunization. I'm wondering how general I can be, to protect my privacy, and yet still clearly state an acceptably worded religious exemption letter.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Also, do both parents need to hold the same religious beliefs and sign the letter, or can just one parent do it? This is more of a curiosity question than anything, but I would be interested in the answer and definitely want to do ours correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/illinois.aspx"Parents who object to health examinations or any part thereof, or to immunizations, on religious grounds shall not be required to submit their children or wards to the examinations or immunizations to which they so object if such parents or legal guardians present to the appropriate local school authority a signed statement of objection, detailing the grounds for the objection"
-For a religious exemption you need to be "against the practice of vaccination". If you give your reasons to be against vaccinations as:

"I'm against vaccination because they use aborted fetal cells" - This is a philosophical reason.

"I'm against pre-marital sex and some vaxes are for sexually transmitted diseases." This is a philosophical reason.

Again, you have to be against the the practice of vaccination. For a more through explanation of why this is read the Wexler decision below.

-Also, you DO NOT have to be a member of a religion doctrinally opposed to vaccination. You can be Wiccan, Lutheran, Catholic, Jewish, church of the flip flops, and still claim a religious exemption do to your personal religious beliefs against the practice of vaccination.

Religious Exemptions

The Wexler Decision

-Require that all questions regarding your exemption be in writing and give answers in writing. Do not give verbal responses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sample Religious Exemption Letter

Quote:
To whom it may concern;

(We / I) {First and Last name(s)}, as the {(parent (s) / guardian(s)} of ______________________(name of newborn child) are exercising (our/my) rights under the US Constitution, PUBLIC HEALTH LAW, ARTICLE 21. CONTROL OF ACUTE COMMUNICABLE DISEASES,TITLE VI. POLIOMYELITIS AND OTHER DISEASES, NY CLS Pub Health § 2164 (2002), to receive Religious Exemption from Vaccination, ALL injections, prophylaxis, & testing due to our genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to the practices herein required.

The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

Sincerely,

Your signature.
Date

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:21 AM

Thank you!
I was looking for such information for a woman on one of my local forums and this is great! Thanks!!!!

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!

User Tag List