Did you get your kids infected with Rubella?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 02-17-2009, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend's son has it and I'm thinking of bringing my two girls over there to get them infected. I know, sounds gruesome. I'm just trying to get it over and done with to avoid problems with them getting infected later on in life (they are not vaxinated). Have you done this? Or, do you think it's okay not to?

I've done all the reading when we were deciding against vaccinating, and it's been a couple of years...

Thanks,
Agnieszka

Agnieszka wife to Kevin, Kalina (Jan 7, 2005), Tosia (June 4, 2006) , and baby Emmett (Dec 27, 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 02-17-2009, 05:16 AM

I would do it as the vax is not intended to protect the vaccinated from Rubella, but to "protect" against them being carriers.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 34 Old 02-17-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that's why we didn't vax... but I was just thinking, what if my girls don't ever get it as kids... anyone have info on what rubella is like on older girls? and what about adults? I have read about the congenital rubella syndrome, and that's a scary thought... but there is also research that says it's actually not as common as we're told.

thanks for your thoughts

Agnieszka wife to Kevin, Kalina (Jan 7, 2005), Tosia (June 4, 2006) , and baby Emmett (Dec 27, 2009)
#4 of 34 Old 02-17-2009, 01:21 PM

I wouldn't personally. I wouldn't see the point. I don't think it is common enough to worry about. It would only be a problem with women during pregnancy and again it isn't around enough to even worry about this years from now.

But, that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to someone else doing it.
#5 of 34 Old 02-18-2009, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts... I'm still kind of conflicted about it especially since my younger one is so fussy (and she's 2.5)... and when she's sick it's a nightmare. Thankfully, she's not sick often. I don't think I'm informed enough, period.

Can you tell me, is rubella scares enough that pregnant women really don't have to worry about getting it??

Sorry if this is a stupid question and I"m sure there's a ton of info about this on line... I'm just so damn tired today... and supposed to go over to my friend's house (with the rubella)... anyway. I'm just rambling now.

Thanks.

#6 of 34 Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 PM

When my kids had rubella, it was like a light cold. it wasn't really sick...hardly even a fever. More like a bad allergy day...week.

I don't know that I'd do it on purpose, but if you already planned on going over...meh. Honestly, rubella for an unborn child is dangerous, and vax does wear off by the time a woman is fertile.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#7 of 34 Old 02-18-2009, 07:58 PM

In any medical journal from the 70's they say rubella is a mild childhood disease with no ill effects (I worked for a doctor and always looked at her stuff!). Then the newer versions pretty much say the same thing and that the vax was intended to wipe out congenital rubella (where the fetus gets it). I just saw a post by someone in the vax forum that said there were about 10 cases a year of congenital rubella prevax. I wish I could find where that was because I'm really interested in knowing if that's true.

EDIT: Here's a link to the CDC that states that rubella is pretty harmless and the goal of the rubella vaccination is to wipe out congenital rubella: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000149.htm
#8 of 34 Old 02-18-2009, 08:15 PM

My daughter had rubella. It was so quick and mild. She had a mild fever and a rash for a day, and that was that. I was glad she got it because hopefully her immunity will last into her childbearing years; whereas I was vaxed as a child and my immunity wore off by the time I waS pregnant.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#9 of 34 Old 02-19-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Rubella is not given to anyone to protect them against the disease due to risk of their own health.

The likelihood of a baby becoming congenitally deformed is mother-dependent, in that her diet (Vitamin A, folic acid) and how many weeks pregnant she is are the important factors. 80% of pregnant women who catch rubella in the first trimester do not have babies with congenital deformities.
http://www.*********/m/butler2.html

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#10 of 34 Old 02-19-2009, 03:46 PM

Emmeline, where is the source of your data? That was exactly what I was looking for, but if you coud link me to where you got that, I'd appreciate it. I'm now trying to put together a binder with all of my info, including sources!
#11 of 34 Old 02-19-2009, 03:56 PM

Yes em I need that source!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#12 of 34 Old 02-19-2009, 07:55 PM

I would. (well actually i wouldn't right now b/c i'm pregnant and unimmune) but that's why I would get it for them. Especially girls. Right now if i were to come in contact w/ rubella- my baby could possibly have some serious complications from it. I WISH I would've had rubella as a child, so now I wouldn't have to worry (not htat I am, I just think life's too short to stress).
#13 of 34 Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 PM

Full-blown CRS is not the only thing it causes. Rubella used to be a major cause of deafness.

http://www.sense.org.uk/what_is_deaf...idence_crs.htm
#14 of 34 Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
When my kids had rubella, it was like a light cold. it wasn't really sick...hardly even a fever. More like a bad allergy day...week.
This was exactly how it was for my daughter.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#15 of 34 Old 02-19-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Gardens View Post
Full-blown CRS is not the only thing it causes. Rubella used to be a major cause of deafness.
http://www.sense.org.uk/what_is_deaf...idence_crs.htm
Congenital deafness.
#16 of 34 Old 02-22-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
Yes em I need that source!
It's from Hilary Butler who used to be a member here; I changed my post above.

She has a website http://www.beyondconformity.org.nz/_...tiple_vaccines

#17 of 34 Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
and vax does wear off by the time a woman is fertile
Are you sure? I just had my baby and my blood work showed I was immune. I never had rubella, so shouldn't that mean immunity from my vax?
#18 of 34 Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 PM

It could be or youc ould have contracted it without realizing at some point.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#19 of 34 Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
It could be or youc ould have contracted it without realizing at some point.
now theres a thought.
#20 of 34 Old 02-23-2009, 02:49 AM

Or some women just don't show immunity, no matter how immune they are. I have had three vaccinations in the past fourteen years, and my children have had it, and I *still* do not show any titers at all for rubella.

Drives the med people crazy.

#21 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 02:30 PM

I would do it because rubella can be devastating to an unborn child. Plus having the illness will boost the immune system. I have not had rubella and if anyone is reading this can help me get exposed, I am more than up for it.
#22 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Or some women just don't show immunity, no matter how immune they are. I have had three vaccinations in the past fourteen years, and my children have had it, and I *still* do not show any titers at all for rubella.

Drives the med people crazy.
Same here. Before my reactions, I was vax'd on schedule. Never had immunity. Since then I've been exposed to it. No immunity.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#23 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 PM

Rubella is a tame disease when contracted by children, so I'd probably do it to confer permanent immunity.

Those that are saying you don't have immunity, are you basing that on titer tests? Because low titer count does not indicate susceptibility to a disease just as a high titer count has nothing to do with immunity to a particular disease. Here is a good article from Vaccination Liberation:

http://www.vaclib.org/basic/titers-immunity.htm

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#24 of 34 Old 02-28-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
Rubella is a tame disease when contracted by children, so I'd probably do it to confer permanent immunity.

Those that are saying you don't have immunity, are you basing that on titer tests? Because low titer count does not indicate susceptibility to a disease just as a high titer count has nothing to do with immunity to a particular disease. Here is a good article from Vaccination Liberation:

http://www.vaclib.org/basic/titers-immunity.htm
Nope. I said I don't SHOW immunity. I must be immune because I've nursed several children through rubella and have never gotten it myself. But yes, my titer is sooo low that the meds say I'm not immune. Meh.

#25 of 34 Old 02-28-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Nope. I said I don't SHOW immunity. I must be immune because I've nursed several children through rubella and have never gotten it myself. But yes, my titer is sooo low that the meds say I'm not immune. Meh.
This is part of why I am seeing exposure to see if I am actually immune or not. I don't trust titers as they are only one part of immunity.
#26 of 34 Old 02-28-2009, 03:21 PM

Yes, I would expose. It's a mild illness...my 13 month old has rubella right now and I'm hoping my 4-year-old gets it. Though, I'm not sure if she will considering she had her 12 month mmr.
#27 of 34 Old 02-28-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madis81 View Post
Yes, I would expose. It's a mild illness...my 13 month old has rubella right now and I'm hoping my 4-year-old gets it. Though, I'm not sure if she will considering she had her 12 month mmr.
Would you be willing to help pass it on to people who are looking? I know I am looking, and I know of several parents who might be.
#28 of 34 Old 03-01-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORCED ANARCHY View Post
Would you be willing to help pass it on to people who are looking? I know I am looking, and I know of several parents who might be.
I would normally consider this, but considering she was around her cousins when they were contagious with the flu bug I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. We would potentially be spreading rubella and the flu and I don't want to be responsible for that.
#29 of 34 Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madis81 View Post
I would normally consider this, but considering she was around her cousins when they were contagious with the flu bug I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. We would potentially be spreading rubella and the flu and I don't want to be responsible for that.
I totally understand, if anyone else comes down with it let me know I am interested in exposure, and think I know of a couple of parents who might be for their kids.
#30 of 34 Old 03-03-2009, 01:38 AM

So, how do you all know your kids have/had Rubella? The rash? Is that always present? How is it distinguished from Roseola? Was it confirmed by a blood test?

It appears Merck is also stopping singles for Rubella and Mumps. I have 2 doses of singles reserved for me but want to be sure that if I go down that path, that I am comfortable not giving Rubella and Mumps as my only option would be the full MMR so it sort of defeats the purpose of giving the singles Measles.

can we talk more about the risk of rubella to a pregnant woman? That would be upsetting.... but honestly, in my circle of life, I am just not around too many pregnant women in a close social setting although we could brush up against a pregnant woman in public. But.... since Rubella testing is standard for pre-natal care, and assuming the woman is following care (I know, not always the case) would she not typically have vaccinated herself in the beginning of a confirmed pregnancy?

Are they giving it to pregnant women who show no immunity titers to Rubella? And are pregnant women now forced to do the full Rubella now that Merck has stopped producing singles of that vax as well? Or is it not quite official yet regarding Rubella and Mumps like it is for measles?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page