Keeping un-vaxed healthy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have chosen not to vaccinate and I was just wanting to see what other people who are not vaxing do in order to continue to keep their child's immune systems healthy and stong. In my opinion, not having the vaccines is a plus b/c it doesn't weaken their immune system and my daughter is breast fed so that is also a plus and she gets a daily dose of her vitimins, but is there anything else that I can do?
#2 of 28 Old 02-22-2009, 10:20 PM

We don't really do anything special. Since vaccinating does nothing to keep you healthy as a general rule, I figure we're ahead of the curve already

We try to eat reasonably healthy food as often as possible. Fresh air. Sunshine. All that good stuff.

-Angela
#3 of 28 Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks- I also asked this question b/c my friend,even after doing research, decided to vax anyways.Her daughter was born with a odd skin condition,which i feel weakened her immune system from the get-go, but after getting her vaccines, she had constant ear infections,wound up getting tubes in her ears.She was constantly sick. My friend "says" she is done vaxing. This child need something to help build her immune system back up, I just don't know what.
#4 of 28 Old 02-22-2009, 10:53 PM

Your decision not to vaccinate is truly a healthy decision IMHO. It is very common to see nowadays babies being inflicted intentionally with at least 14 diseases by the age of 12 months. And by staying away from vaccines, you are definitely avoiding these diseases to enter the body especially in an unnatural way. Like they say, we must create health rather than building their so-called defenses (vaccines).
#5 of 28 Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM

I also asked this question a while agao and was pretty much told to just live a healthy life.

A few things we do:
-everyone gets coconut oil daily. DS gets 1 tbs, DH and I get 3 tbs
-we us ACV nightly in salads and sometimes in juice as a booster
-vitamins include vit C, fish oil, probiotic, turmeric
-DS gets a low iron multi
-we breast feed
-we only eat local organic foods and meats
-we drink raw milk
-we cook from scratch and don't eat out much
-we gets lots of fresh air and outdoor play
-we handwash lots
#6 of 28 Old 02-23-2009, 03:01 PM

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. We eat reasonably well (except for my beyond-picky 3 year old) and take vitamins when we remember. (Which isn't often.) We wash hands after the bathroom and before cooking.

That's it. We don't use anti-bacterial anything and my kids eat off the floor. A lot.

My son is fully vaxxed to his age and my DD (who is 19 months) had up to the 2 month shots and then we stopped. They are seriously never ever sick. Maybe a mild cold twice a year. That's it.
#7 of 28 Old 02-23-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
That's it. We don't use anti-bacterial anything and my kids eat off the floor. A lot.
I think these two can't be stated enough.

Eating off the floor is FINE in a clean house. And by clean, I mean not cleaned with chemical cleaners, but cleaned with vinegar and other food-grade disinfectants that aren't toxic to your children and animals. Dirt is fine, within reason, and we keep our children from it almost obsessively as a culture. I can't help seeing that as a negative.

Also, anti-bacterial stuff is dangerous! Don't even bring that stuff into your house.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#8 of 28 Old 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I take DD to the chiro. If you start young you only need to go once or twice a year. Its good for overall health including the immune system.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#9 of 28 Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post

Also, anti-bacterial stuff is dangerous! Don't even bring that stuff into your house.
Oh, I know!!! A lot of people think "anti-bacterial" is so wonderful! NOT! I know this may sound stupid but I am new on here and what exactly does DD DS DH and all that stand for?!...I know its talking about your children and husband possibily...:
#10 of 28 Old 02-23-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Eating off the floor is FINE in a clean house. And by clean, I mean not cleaned with chemical cleaners, but cleaned with vinegar and other food-grade disinfectants that aren't toxic to your children and animals. Dirt is fine, within reason, and we keep our children from it almost obsessively as a culture...
ThankyouTHANKYOUthankyou for saying this... I've got a 11 month old and it seems like every time I turn around his hand is coming away from his mouth and I have to pry it open to see whether it's a dead fly , or a rock, or an innocent cheerio! Obviously I'm still going to do my best to prevent ingestion of dead bugs and rocks, but this is really a reassuring thing to hear.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#11 of 28 Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I think these two can't be stated enough.

Eating off the floor is FINE in a clean house. And by clean, I mean not cleaned with chemical cleaners, but cleaned with vinegar and other food-grade disinfectants that aren't toxic to your children and animals. Dirt is fine, within reason, and we keep our children from it almost obsessively as a culture. I can't help seeing that as a negative.

thats my take on it

get outside...fresh air, sun, good food

i refuse to use antibacterial soap. we were almost refused admission into a play area a few weeks ago b/c it was their "rule" to use that stuff upon admittance. i took my 3 yo into the bathroom and washed his hands with soap and water, which im fine with. if they hadnt agreed to taht, we would have left. i cant stand that stuff.
#12 of 28 Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnMomma View Post
I also asked this question a while agao and was pretty much told to just live a healthy life.

A few things we do:
-everyone gets coconut oil daily. DS gets 1 tbs, DH and I get 3 tbs
-we us ACV nightly in salads and sometimes in juice as a booster
-vitamins include vit C, fish oil, probiotic, turmeric
-DS gets a low iron multi
-we breast feed
-we only eat local organic foods and meats
-we drink raw milk
-we cook from scratch and don't eat out much
-we gets lots of fresh air and outdoor play
-we handwash lots
Tell me about the Coconut oil!
#13 of 28 Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
I take DD to the chiro. If you start young you only need to go once or twice a year. Its good for overall health including the immune system.
Besides all the healthy eating and healthy living tips, I have to second this suggestion from Lydiah! Getting adjusted is the best way I know of to increase immune system function (which is important for everyone at any age, whether vaccinated for not). You can find a chiropractor who specializes in working with kids and/or pregnant moms at www.icpa4kids.org .

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#14 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 11:41 AM

My 14 mo old has gotten adjusted once a month since she was 4 mo, is that too much?
#15 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmoro311 View Post
My 14 mo old has gotten adjusted once a month since she was 4 mo, is that too much?
No....it can nver be too much. my son is 10 months and has never gone more than 3 weeks between adjustments. The Chiro will tell you how often to come..the more balances they become, the less often they need to go. But its not like if you go often its "bad" for them. I go myself once a week. Have for years.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#16 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 09:25 PM

Dd is dear daughter
ds is dear son
dh is dear husband (or darn husband )
dp dear partner

::
momma to 4
#17 of 28 Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

thank you! i could figure out the d,s,and h but i couldnt understand where the d in front of it was coming from!!
#18 of 28 Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 AM

I like using LO for Little One!
#19 of 28 Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 AM

I have been reading and going to seminars frequently to educate myself. It all gets so overwhelming sometimes.

Am I correct in understanding that probiotics can "help" protect against meningitis? I just heard a radio commercial, PSA, about the magic of the vaccine for meningitis and it got me scared. They had parents pleading with the listener to get the vaccine b/c they did not know about it, for their college kid, and the dear child died in 24 hours from meningitis. I realize this is a "scare tactic" but it was effective nonetheless.

I absolutely do NOT want the vaccine, but I also do not want my children put in a situation where they are not naturally fully protected to the best of my ability.

So, am I correct in my understanding that probiotics are effective in protecting against meningitis? Also, is Stoneyfield YoKids Yogurt enough, or do we need more of a dose?

Thanks

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

#20 of 28 Old 02-26-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmoro311 View Post
I think a person needs to go as needed.

Our chiro found that people backs who came every monthly/ week didn't stay in place as well as those who just went to the chiro as needed. So the the constant adjustments where hard on the back and supporting muscles , makes them weak.

He started having people come in as needed instead of a standing appointment and their back strengthened and didn't need constant adjusting.
#21 of 28 Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan's Mom View Post

So, am I correct in my understanding that probiotics are effective in protecting against meningitis? Also, is Stoneyfield YoKids Yogurt enough, or do we need more of a dose?

Thanks
I dont actually know if probiotics are effective in protecting against meningitis but wouldn't it be wonderful if they were! I do know that probiotics are very effective in helping prevent a lot of things, I just don't know about the meningitis part. I know yogurt is a good soure of probiotics but I also have some probiotic pills that I get from a local health food store.
#22 of 28 Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM

The problem with meningitis is that there are two kinds - viral and bacterial. I can see how probiotics would help with the bacterial meningitis - and that's the scarier one.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#23 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 PM

So can you explain why exactly anti-bacterial stuff is so bad? I haven't heard this before? I'm new to mommy land and I'm trying to raise my child as natural as possible.

Katie, a lone woman in a house of all boys! Wife to Alex and mother of Gabriel (10/10/08) and Sorin (10/16/10). Ce lumea trista ar fi fara copii!

#24 of 28 Old 02-28-2009, 12:46 AM

Anti-bacterial stuff has been linked to some of the superbacteria that's being found - bacteria with antibiotic resistance. The theory is that we're exposing the bacteria a bit at a time to antibiotics, and the ones that survive become even more resistant - so that we are really only aiding in bacterial "survival of the fittest."

#25 of 28 Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM

*EBF
*I take probiotics, CLO, prenatal vit, vit D & C
* LO gets infant probiotics & multi vit daily
* eat organic and local as much as possible
*good hygeine
* avoid medications, use homeopathy
*fresh air & sunshine
#26 of 28 Old 03-02-2009, 05:40 PM

Antibiotics and antibacterial soap are leading to the super bugs.

However antibacterial hand gel is just alcohol, an anticeptic, not antibiotic and it is not leading to super bugs.

The antibacterial soaps are the bad thing and I can just about guarantee if you're using a public restroom that's what they have.
#27 of 28 Old 03-03-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofemma View Post
I know yogurt is a good soure of probiotics but I also have some probiotic pills that I get from a local health food store.
Other good sources of probiotics include fermented milk products like kefir (yum), fermented tea like kombucha, fermented cabbage foods like kimchi or sauerkraut, and fermented soy products like miso and tempeh. Many foods have probiotics added, as opposed to cultured during the making of the product. Heat treatment processes like pasteurization will kill the friendly bacteria, so if you can, try making your own fermented foods - you can find instructions online. If you take a supplement, it is better to use chilled liquid forms over room temperature tablets.

Equally important is to provide an intestinal environment to help the bacteria thrive by adding prebiotic foods to your diet. Foods like oatmeal and other whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes give the bacteria an energy source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamika View Post
So can you explain why exactly anti-bacterial stuff is so bad? I haven't heard this before? I'm new to mommy land and I'm trying to raise my child as natural as possible.
I look at it this way ... when I take an antibacterial cleaner and wipe down my cabinets, what is left? Only the strongest bacteria that are able to withstand the onslaught. Why would I want to create an environment where the stongest 1% of bacteria are left to multiply?
#28 of 28 Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 PM

I heard that even though yogurt is a good source of a probiotic, it's really not enough(commercial brands). Stopped using anti-bacterial soap a long time ago. We don't do anything special here, Kayla has the best diet unlike her brother.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page