I'm wavering on Hep B... Calm me down! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My babies were born last week at 33 weeks gestation. I declined the Hep B vax, and surprisingly, they were very easy and non-judgemental about it. I'm having Mommy hormones kicking in though, and I'm really worried about them being more exposed to Hep B during a long hospital stay. In reality, they've only got about two more weeks to go, and they're already off of all IVs, just learning how to eat, really.

I'm just worrying over nothing, aren't I? I know vaccines aren't tested on preemies, so I don't want my babies to be guinea pigs. I just worry about the increased chance of exposure. I guess I've just got to trust that my antibodies in my milk will keep them safe. I hate this so much.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#2 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

Congrats on your babies!

My dd is 2.5 weeks old and I also had a panic attack about refusing vit. K. It is a lot harder to make the decisions with a beautiful baby in your arm, right?

IMO, the dangers of the vaccine are worse than the chance of the illness. Good luck with your decision and I hope your babies come home soon!
#3 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM

I would not give hep b to a baby, especially a preterm baby. When looking though VAERS, you will notice alot of the reactions that are reported are those from preterm babies. If you are comparing risks of vax vs disease, your risk from adverse reactions to vax are going to be much higher than some remote chance that your babies are going to somehow come into contact with hep b.

My son was born at 33 1/2 wks and the hospital did not vax him, and surprisingly they did not even ask if we wanted him vaxed, so he made it out of the hospital without a vax and this was before I knew not to give the vax, so I got lucky.
#4 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 06:20 PM

I've NEVER seen a patient (let alone a little baby) in a hospital be exposed to a dirty needle from another patient. NEVER. Even if (heaven forbid) the doctors and nurses don't wash their hands adequately, Hep B still is not a risk (other things are, but not Hep B).
#5 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congrats on your new babies!

I recall a conversation I had with a ped 14 years ago, when DD1 was a newborn. We didn't see eye-to-eye AT ALL on the vaccine issue, and in fact I ended up leaving his practice over it. But he saw no reason for my newborn to get the Hep B vax whatsoever (while pressuring me about DTP and IPV.)

I remember him asking me if I expected my baby to have unsafe sex or be an IV drug user. His beleif was that Hep B is a risk to teenagers, and even some preteens, who engage in such risky behaviors. It's hard to determine which kids are going to get themselves exposed at young ages and which kids aren't, plus it's harder to get some of these older kids into dr's offices at all. So they recomended universal newborn vax so the "at risk teens and preteens" will already be protected when they start using IV drugs and/or having unsafe sex.)

So, tell me, do you expect your preemies to have unsafe sex before they're released from the NICU? I mean, they might well be "IV drug users" before leaving, but somehow I doubt they'll be sharing needles with anybody.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#6 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are right. I was so adament before they were born, but then they came early and were all hooked up to machines and needles. I'm stressing about everything and trying to do what's best for my babies.

Besides, they're off of IVs now and shouldn't get anymore needle pricks other than the blood sugar tests. I doubt the vaccine would magicly kick in the first few days it was administered, which was when they were going through all the needles anyways. I think I'm a bit hormonal and having my babies in the hospital sure makes it worse.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#7 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm in Canada and we do NOT routinely vaccinate newborns for Hep B. And there's no massive health crisis of hep B infected newborns here. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#8 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 PM

This is why it is necessary to know why a particular vaccine ended up on the schedule.

Hep B is given at birth because most babies are born in hospitals and are accessible. They are not really vaccinating 7lb newborns, but that drug using promiscuous teen that baby will become; Hep B is given to babies because those truly at risk are generally not available for vaccination and NOT because the baby is at risk of contracting HepB in the hospital.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#9 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 08:52 PM

Congrats on your babies' birth! I hope they are home soon!

So, for all these babies that are vaxed as newborns, is the vax even still effective by the preteen/teen years?
#10 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
My babies were born last week at 33 weeks gestation. I declined the Hep B vax, and surprisingly, they were very easy and non-judgemental about it. I'm having Mommy hormones kicking in though, and I'm really worried about them being more exposed to Hep B during a long hospital stay. In reality, they've only got about two more weeks to go, and they're already off of all IVs, just learning how to eat, really.

I'm just worrying over nothing, aren't I? I know vaccines aren't tested on preemies, so I don't want my babies to be guinea pigs. I just worry about the increased chance of exposure. I guess I've just got to trust that my antibodies in my milk will keep them safe. I hate this so much.
Congrats!
Your sweet lil babies are still working on their blood brain barrier. If you give them a Hep B vax now, it's likely that the aluminum in the vaccine will deposit in the fatty tissues of their brains.
#11 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Congrats on your babies' birth! I hope they are home soon!

So, for all these babies that are vaxed as newborns, is the vax even still effective by the preteen/teen years?
Probably not.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#12 of 17 Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japonica View Post
I'm in Canada and we do NOT routinely vaccinate newborns for Hep B. And there's no massive health crisis of hep B infected newborns here. I wouldn't worry about it.
:

Although I believe New Brunswick has started to

Congrats on your babies, OP, and I hope they are both home with you soon!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#13 of 17 Old 03-03-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
This is why it is necessary to know why a particular vaccine ended up on the schedule.

Hep B is given at birth because most babies are born in hospitals and are accessible. They are not really vaccinating 7lb newborns, but that drug using promiscuous teen that baby will become; Hep B is given to babies because those truly at risk are generally not available for vaccination and NOT because the baby is at risk of contracting HepB in the hospital.
The interesting (or sickening) thing is - the Hep B vax wears off in 10-20 years. So, by the time the "kid" needs it, any "protection" is gone.

The Hep B vax also contains aluminum, and aluminum is very bad, especially for premies.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#14 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 06:44 AM

I turned down the Hep B for my 33 1/2 week twins too. I didn't even have a second thought about it.

I don't think it has anything to do with risk of possible exposure in the hospital. In my kids NICU I don't think they even give it until they're almost ready to leave. (There was a pair of twins in the room with mine who got theirs just before leaving, and that was at around three weeks.)

Single mom to the Crunchy Froglets, Keith and Carlin, twin boys born 1/30/09. Frozen for 10 years, now unleashed on the world.
#15 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Congrats!! I would not give the hep. b vaccine. I honestly don't think there is that great of a risk for them to get it, I guess its possible, but I don't think the chances are that high. The vaccine has to many risks attached with it. I posted a thread not to long ago about this vaccine, its called Hep. B vaccine. It is under the "Vaccinations" part of this website,I just found it on page 3. You might want to look at it. It gives a website to go to that shows disturbing pictures of a baby who got the hep. b vaccine while in the hospital and had a terrible reaction to it. This might could help you with your decision.
#16 of 17 Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
here is an analysis of the Hep B numbers in infants and children:

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/...s-hepatitis-b/

and here is a list of the risk factors:
Quote:
Hepatitis B: Are your patients at risk?
Do you have:

* adolescent patients?
* patients who are sexually active with multiple partners?
* patients living with people who are chronic carriers of hepatitis B virus?
* patients whose jobs potentially expose them to human blood or body fluids?
* patients who use illicit drugs?
* patients who travel internationally to endemic areas?
* patients who were born in Asia, Africa, the Amazon Basin in South America, the Pacific Islands, Eastern Europe, or the Middle East?
* patients who are Native Americans or Alaskan Natives?
* patients who have hemophilia?
* patients who are receiving hemodialysis treatment?
* patients who are monogamous but whose partners are at risk for hepatitis B virus infection?

If you responded yes to any one of these questions, you have patients who are at risk of infection with the Hepatitis B virus.
http://www.nfid.org/factsheets/hbagdoc.shtml
#17 of 17 Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 AM

Congrats on the babies!! Yay for them being off the IVs and getting ready to come home in two weeks!!
About the vax though, your babies do not need it, and you do not need to worry about it. They are just learning to eat; I doubt they will be jumping to drugs and sex any time soon.

I turned it down for my baby. I turned it all down for my baby. They actually gave me a really hard time about it and when I told them that I didn't expect her to using intravenous drugs or having sex any time soon, they told me that she needed it because I didn't know my status!! I told them to go to hell.
Anyhow, I think in addition to "protecting" the teenager that baby will become, they are also doing it to "protect" babies whose mommas practice unsafe sex with a possibly infected partner or who use intravenous drugs themselves. They just realized they could make more money by giving it to all the babies so they started doing that. Ugh
Money = power. Power = corruption.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page