Do you still use pampers? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
after seeing the Sierra Leone special about how horrible tetanus is in that area (which is the area pampers is donating to) it changed my mind a bit. I know the answer to overall health there is clean water, food, and education about health and safety for newborns (I believe it is ritual to pack the baby's umbilical cord with animal feces which is a major cause of the tetanus), but in the meantime....seeing a baby taking it's last breath when he or even the mother could have had the vaccination to prevent this- just makes me think about the positives. If I have to choose between nothing and a tetanus shot to save a life...I'm going to choose to support the tetanus shot. If it were a perfect world I would say screw the tetanus shot and spend the money to educate and provide these people with the resources they need...but that's not happening. I don't think that the lack of the tetanus shot is going to force that issue either. I just didn't realize how truly horrifying tetanus is until I saw this program.
The whole vaccine thing aside which I feel torn on because of the above stuff... why can't they attach their campaign to some product that doesn't promote filling up a landfill? Like baby food in glass jars, something that is consumed and then recycled?

Austin June 2006; Xander March 2008; Shay Nov 2009; 5 babies gone to heaven.
#32 of 35 Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzchen View Post
The vaccines are given to pregnant women and women of child bearing age and this passes the mothers immunity on to the child for the first few months so long as she is breast feeding.
Sorry that information is wrong. There is some immunity that is passed on from mom to child. It is passed on across the placenta. This of course can never happen with vaccine immunity, only with natural or core immunity that came from a natural infection.

But that can never happen with tetanus. Let me explain it in the shortest way:

1. even if a person has had tetanus, they will not have any immunity and can not be protected from further tetanus infections. A person can get repeat tetanus infections.

2. if the human body is not able to build immunity after encountering such an assault, how is a vaccine supposed to do that? It can't.

3. toxoid vaccines are different from vaccines against a virus or bacteria in that the body does not build immunity but rather learns to tolerate the toxin.

IOW - the mom who is vaccinated, gained tolerance to the tetanus toxin. The child is not protected (if that is even possible) from tetanus toxins even if the mother is breast feeding that child since a tolerance can't be passed on in any way.

Many scientists question the tetanus vaccine and it's ability to create any protection at all. That is why we have seen such a change in the dose over the years and time that it is supposed to protect.

The way they found the vaccine to work is if at the same time as vaccinating the mom, they also educate her in how to care for the newborns umbilical wound. That works!

hth
#33 of 35 Old 03-11-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmama_12 View Post
.. why can't they attach their campaign to some product that doesn't promote filling up a landfill? Like baby food in glass jars, something that is consumed and then recycled?
Because they are one and the same company. The world pHARMaceutical companies have control over many things. I would say over most things in the world. Including our politicians (but that's another subject).
#34 of 35 Old 03-12-2009, 01:55 PM

I normally do EC with cloth back-up, but when we are on holiday I use disposables as back-up and normally that would have been pampers, but since that add I have not bought them at all. I cannot do it as I believe vaccines are poison, so I will not let other children be poisoned on my account.
#35 of 35 Old 03-13-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post

Many scientists question the tetanus vaccine and it's ability to create any protection at all. That is why we have seen such a change in the dose over the years and time that it is supposed to protect.

The way they found the vaccine to work is if at the same time as vaccinating the mom, they also educate her in how to care for the newborns umbilical wound. That works!

hth
That's exactly my viewpoint after having watched the Salma Hayek video clip. The doctor/representative speaking was also very clear how it was a win/win situation, in other words (supposedly) the vaccines help, and he gets to "promote" (I'm pretty sure that's the actual wording he used) his product.

Anyway Pampers are no longer anywhere near our house as a result of this campaign. Which is good anyway, as it encourages me to use our cloth diapers more often, which is always a good thing.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page