Playing with vaxed friends? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is watched once a week by a friend who brings her son who is the same age as my daughter. She is vaccinating and I didn't think much about it until last week when she happened to mention that her son just had his checkup and shots before coming to our house.

It got me thinking.... is my daughter being exposed to the viruses though playmates? They are both a bit over 1 year old, so they are sharing a lot of things. I don't know what vaccines are "live" and might be an issue and, if it is an issue, for how long.

She mentioned polio specifically as one of the shots he got last week. Then my dh comes in to find them sharing a pacifier between them. I think that, if it is a concern, it is more of a poop exposure issue than saliva. Still, I'm wondering if I should be concerned.

Should I avoid exposure to other children when they have been vaccinated for a certain amount of time? Like ask my friend to not bring her baby for the week afterward? Maybe it is overkill. We come into contact with all sorts of people all the time and have no idea what they are carrying. And I know non-vaxed kids are in childcare situations where they are exposed to many vaxed children. But still... the thought of my daughter being near a child who is carrying these viruses in their system is a bit creepy, even if it is a very slim chance that she could catch something.
#2 of 12 Old 03-10-2009, 01:06 AM

hi

#3 of 12 Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 AM

We do not avoid contact with anyone. I wouldn't worry. She really could pick up these things anywhere. That is something you just need to realize whether you vax or don't vax.
#4 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 PM

When the vaxxed child seems fine then I wouldn't worry, but when the vaxxed child is not fit I would keep my children away.
In general I have tried - at least when they were young - to just see for a couple of days after the vax, in case I was informed.
Now that they are getting older its not easy. The kids often came home telling me their friends had had XYZ vax at school or the docs office or so. Then it was too late, but when they are fit enough to play things should be fine.
#5 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned

If your worried about them catching the disease then perhaps you should consider vaxing. I mean you will be in contact with people throughout your life and some will be vaxed some won't. You really can't worry about what diseases they are carrying if your not vaxing. It's the choice you made when you decided not to vax.

BTW, it's totally your right to decide not to vax but you can't control what others do nor should you ask them to change their routines to suit your choice. I would think to ask a non-vaxed child to steer clear of my children in case they might be carrying something.
#6 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmutes&uteruses View Post
I would think to ask a non-vaxed child to steer clear of my children in case they might be carrying something.
What would a non-vaccinated child be carrying that a vaccinated child would not? If you're worried about the diseases you're vaccinating against, then you must not believe the vaccines work. My child is not the one carrying the VADs. No one injected them into her, she hasn't showed any symptoms. Obviously, she doesn't have them. So what are you protecting your children from when you keep them away from her? I'm not trying to attack you, just trying to logicize. If you're worried about something new, since there is no vaccine for unknowns, your vaccinated child is no more protected than mine.
#7 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
If your worried about them catching the disease then perhaps you should consider vaxing. I mean you will be in contact with people throughout your life and some will be vaxed some won't. You really can't worry about what diseases they are carrying if your not vaxing. It's the choice you made when you decided not to vax.

BTW, it's totally your right to decide not to vax but you can't control what others do nor should you ask them to change their routines to suit your choice. I would think to ask a non-vaxed child to steer clear of my children in case they might be carrying something.
I dont think the original poster is implying that she wants people who vax to change their routines to suit her choice. She is just wondering if kids who are vaxed could possibly transmit the particular disease they were just vaxed against. Why would you want to ask a non vaxed child to steer clear of your children? If you children are vaxed then what would you be worried about? Im pretty sure the person who posted this original post has done the research and came to the conclusion not to vax, that doesn't mean she will not still have concerns. No we can't keep our non-vaxed children away from everyone, nor do we try to, but she was just wanting to know that if we knew a child had recently been vaccinated would it be safe to have her non-vaxed child around him/her. That doesnt mean she needs to go and get her child vaxed just because she has this question.
#8 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
So you don't worry about what diseases others are carrying if you vaccinate?

Isn't that THE REASON why you vaccinate? If not, then why vax?

Quote:
She is not asking others to change anything, since it's her child that's being watched by the friend, if anything, it will inconvenience the OP most.

As for being concerned about shedding from live virus vaccines, mama2peyton posted which ones are the ones that are possible to shed.

Honestly, we don't worry about it.
#9 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
She is not asking others to change anything, since it's her child that's being watched by the friend, if anything, it will inconvenience the OP most..
Not true. The OP said:

Quote:
My DD is watched once a week by a friend who brings her son who is the same age as my daughter.
and:

Quote:
Should I avoid exposure to other children when they have been vaccinated for a certain amount of time? Like ask my friend to not bring her baby for the week afterward?
Which is what the poster you responded to was referencing because if the OP asks the person to not bring her own child while she watches the OP's child then it would be asking the babysitter to change her routine.

To the OP: personally I wouldn't worry if I were you.
#10 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurances. I am not terribly worried, but I just think that if any mother, vaxing or not, knew that their child was going to be around someone shedding an illness like polio they would be a bit more cautious.

I suspect that malmutes&uteruses meant to write that she *wouldn't* ask a non-vaxed child to steer clear of her children in case they might be carrying something. Seems more like a typo, otherwise her thought doesn't make any sense. Although I have heard of vaxing parents keeping their children away from non-vaxed kids. Seems odd. Why put all of those toxins in your child if you don't think that they will do their job?

Thanks for the list of live vaccines that is helpful info.

As a follow up... I actually spoke with our doctor about it since we had an appointment with her this week. We had to switch from our former non-vax supportive doctor because we can't afford to pay out of pocket anymore. Luckily, our new doctor is great. I didn't know what to expect. But she appeared to be not just tolerant, but in agreement with not vaccinating. It is so sad that so many doctors have to be in the closet about it. Anyway, she did say that there was a very very rare chance that the diseases could be contracted but that it was so slim that we shouldn't worry about it... just don't let dd eat her friend's poop. Something we usually try to avoid anyway.
#11 of 12 Old 03-28-2009, 03:57 PM

I would take precautions (one of them maybe being staying away) if:

1. I didn't want to deal with the illness at this time (aka maybe we're moving, or I'm pregnant or it's the holidays)
2. My child was sick or immunocompromised
3. The virus shed could be atypical or mutated and have additional implications

For example, the kid across the street got his chickenpox vaccine and came down with a horrible sickness, that was, according to his ped, chickenpox he caught before the vax (yeah right). It was so bad that he had pox in his mouth, down his throat, under his eyelids...they had to hospitalize him b/c it hurt to swallow and he became dehydrated.

Sorry, but I don't want my DD to get that virus and I see no benefit in exposing her to those things. My whole family has had chicken pox before and it wasn't anything like that at all.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#12 of 12 Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 PM

Several posts have been removed from this discussion which were in violation of the subforum guidelines or our UA or were responding to such posts. Please review both the UA and subforum guidelines as future derailment will result in closure or removal of this thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page