Texas Affidavit "Exemption from Immunization for Reasons of Conscience" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-22-2009, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was reading about the AAP letter that pediatricians are giving out for our vaccine refusal and I thought that sounded a lot like what was on the exemption letter from the state for "reasons of conscience" that I have.

It has a spot to check which vaccines you don't want and then at the end it states:

"I have read and I understand, "Benefits and Risks of Vaccination" information. I understand the risks of not vaccinating my child. I further understand that my child may be excluded from school attendance in times of emergency or epidemic declared by the commissioner of public health.

I certify that I am the parent of legal guardiam of the above-named child and that the information provided here is true and correct."

Should I not even use the affidavits?
#2 of 4 Old 03-22-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkedyflarp View Post
I was reading about the AAP letter that pediatricians are giving out for our vaccine refusal and I thought that sounded a lot like what was on the exemption letter from the state for "reasons of conscience" that I have.

It has a spot to check which vaccines you don't want and then at the end it states:

"I have read and I understand, "Benefits and Risks of Vaccination" information. I understand the risks of not vaccinating my child. I further understand that my child may be excluded from school attendance in times of emergency or epidemic declared by the commissioner of public health.

I certify that I am the parent of legal guardiam of the above-named child and that the information provided here is true and correct."

Should I not even use the affidavits?
. I'd cross out NOT and sign.
Turquesa likes this.

hh2.gif

#3 of 4 Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM

I had no problems signing it. I did read their document. I understand there are risks to not vaccinating.

It doesn't address the fact that I feel the risks of vaccinating outweigh the risks of not vaccinating. It doesn't say I'm putting my kids at risk, or other people at risk, the way the nasty AAP form does.

It's not a balanced discussion of the topic, but I don't find it offensive or alarming. And I'm very glad we have a pick-and-choose exemption, every state should.
#4 of 4 Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM

I signed one of those forms one time in Louisiana, and it actually had a blank in which a parent could explain their reasons for refusing. I wrote simply, "I am not convinced of the short or long-term safety." I was happy there was a place for me to write in my side of the story.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page