Getting CP - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-26-2009, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those of you who have exposed your children is there anything I should know. I would like to expose my son at the beginning of april. Just waiting a week so that he doesn't have it for easter. Hopefully I can find a case here in Houston. Anyway articles you have read that your would recommend. Any pointers. BTW he is 2 years old and still nursing.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#2 of 8 Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM

If you have access now, do it now! CP is hard to come by with so many getting vaxed. My dd is only 15 months, and I'll expose her whenever I can because of that.

I've read that the best way to have them get CP is to exchange clothes, and to avoid the exposure if the outbreak is from a vaccine.
#3 of 8 Old 03-26-2009, 05:14 PM

My kids took a bath with the infected child, shared lollypops, and then wore his clothes overnight. Worked like a charm.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 8 Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Oh man I am dying to drive down to Dallas right now and get my son exposed but then he will have chicken pox when my parents are visiting from Califnornia and it will ruin thier visit. THey are having some cp parties down there so I am really hoping it spreads!!

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#5 of 8 Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 PM

Get in touch with some of the parents who went and see if their kids get it in a couple weeks. There is a reasonably long incubation period (approx 10-28 days), so chances are one of them could likely have it in a couple weeks.

Consider the exposure your parents will have if your child is contagious when they are there. I don't know how old your parents are and what their health status is, but it's possible they could either get it themselves if they have not already had CP...or they could come down with shingles if they've already had CP. Consider that a child is contagious starting from a few days BEFORE the first lesion is noticeable.

I'd wait and try the approach I mentioned above. (Unless you want to call your parents and tell them not to come.)

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-28-2009, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
Get in touch with some of the parents who went and see if their kids get it in a couple weeks. There is a reasonably long incubation period (approx 10-28 days), so chances are one of them could likely have it in a couple weeks.

Consider the exposure your parents will have if your child is contagious when they are there. I don't know how old your parents are and what their health status is, but it's possible they could either get it themselves if they have not already had CP...or they could come down with shingles if they've already had CP. Consider that a child is contagious starting from a few days BEFORE the first lesion is noticeable.

I'd wait and try the approach I mentioned above. (Unless you want to call your parents and tell them not to come.)

Both my parents have had chicken pox and been reexpsoed numoruous times when all 4 of us kids had it. Acutally the reexpose to pox is good for adults because it keeps shingles at bay. You can't actually catch shingles from being exposed to someone with chicken pox. Once you have had chicken pox or been vaccinated you have a 20percent change of having shingles. Its becuase the virus is dormant in your body and gets reactivated when you are under extreme stress.
I don't mind exposing him before my parents come they would just be really sad if we were all stuck at home for their visit because my son had the chicken pox. I would actually be happy if my parents got reexposed because it would boost their immunities to shingles. ALthough my mom works with little kids and gets exposed all the time.

}
#7 of 8 Old 03-28-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagirlintexas View Post
Both my parents have had chicken pox and been reexpsoed numoruous times when all 4 of us kids had it. Acutally the reexpose to pox is good for adults because it keeps shingles at bay. You can't actually catch shingles from being exposed to someone with chicken pox. Once you have had chicken pox or been vaccinated you have a 20percent change of having shingles. Its becuase the virus is dormant in your body and gets reactivated when you are under extreme stress.
I don't mind exposing him before my parents come they would just be really sad if we were all stuck at home for their visit because my son had the chicken pox. I would actually be happy if my parents got reexposed because it would boost their immunities to shingles. ALthough my mom works with little kids and gets exposed all the time.
I wasn't suggesting you can "catch" shingles, but if they are taking any kind of steroids or if their immune system isn't up to par it could trigger an episode of shingles. I'm not geriatric, but I've had the shingles, back when I was taking low-dose steroids.

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#8 of 8 Old 04-01-2009, 02:53 PM

2.5 yo DD was exposed a couple weeks ago. The kids exchanged water bottles and shared popsicles and played together. It worked, she and several of the other kids got it from the exposure. One of the other families shared harmonicas too and that helped.

I know the incubation ranges from 9-21 days (my state mandates kids stay out of school 10-21 days post exposure) but most of the kids from this exposure got spots on day 14 or 15 it seems; I've read 14-16 is typical though there is that longer range. And they are contagious 1-2 days before the spots appear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page