Has anyone successfully used a religious exemption for training & work in health care/nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I know I have seen a few nurses and nursing students around here. How did/do you get around the "mandatory" vaccines for being in health care?
I'm considering a certificate program to become a certified nursing assistant through my local community college. It states right up front that certain vaccines are required. I have some but not all of them from childhood.
I do not believe in vaccinating at all. I have never and will never vaccinate my dd so I obviously want to avoid vaccinating myself at all costs but this job (other than being in health care) is perfect for me. The time from training to work is only a few months. It's in super high demand in my area with decent pay and flexible shifts so I wouldn't need daycare. With the economy being what it is and my dh's company laying off people like crazy I'm actually considering it.
TIA for any info/advice ...

mama to three little ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-26-2009, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
could you have your titers checked?

hh2.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-24-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just found out more about this. It is a cooperative program with a medical center. The school would accept the religious exemption but the medical center wouldn't. It seems like titers can be done for everything but tetnus and the TB tests.
I'm really unsure of what to do, especially since I will be ttc again soon. I am so against vaccines for so many reasons but I also feel like this career could mean so much to my family that it might be worth it to take the chance.
I know I'm probably opening a can of worms here but wwyd?

mama to three little ladies
#4 of 4 Old 04-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same here - school accepted any kind of exemption (religious/philosophical), but the hospital and clinics won't. If you're not vaccinated, you can't work there. I'm sure someone will argue otherwise, but I even had legal representation - and it was a no go. Luckily I had my titers checked and came out good for everything, TB testing isn't a vax, and tetanus - well, whatever. For the flu shot though, I lied through my teeth to a walk in clinic and got an exemption for an allergy to eggs. Managed to pull that one off somehow... and yes, the lying made me very uncomfortable, but the flu shot is not one I'm willing to get.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page