Joining a church for religious exemption? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2009, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I was interested in knowing if anyone has claimed religious exemption status for there children in public schools using the Congregation
of Universal Order.

I was concerned that it was viewed as not a bona fide religion due to some of the negative attention it received from that NY Times article a couple years ago.

Please let me know your experiences. He did get the Hep B at birth but none since.

My son is entering kindergarten. I am in upstate NY and dont know anyone else who doesnt vaccinate.

catherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
All you need to do is claim personal religious beliefs in conflict with vaccination, it is unconstitutional to ask what organized religion you are a part of to get your exemption. Some states, like Utah, still ask and you might have to battle for it, but it's been upheld by the federal Supreme court and most of the time they don't bother to ask.

Go to the health dept for the religious exemption form, fill it out and take it to the school in lieu of doctor's vax records.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:15 AM

:

You don't need to be affiliated with any church to file a religious exemption. It is your personal religious beliefs. If they ask, say I'm not comfortable discussing my religion.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 AM

New York REQUEST FOR RELIGIOUS EXEMPTION TO IMMUNIZATION FORM

In NYS, use the NYSED form whenever you can. Keep your "explanation of beliefs" short, simple, and to the point. Be certain to note your objection to ALL vaccines. Do not mention the Hep B birth dose at all.

Don't use a form letter from the internet or another source - schools may be looking for these, and can then question your sincerity. ALWAYS use your own words in your explanation of beliefs.

As others have stated, you do not have to be affiliated with any particular religion. These are your personal, sincerely held beliefs (which is really philosophical, but NY doesn't like that word, so whatever ...)

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs

User Tag List