Help me Decide/ Find Info - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone. I'm having a very hard time deciding what to do as far as vax for my son. He is currently 3 months old and at the his last appointment he had the rotavirus and and DTaP. Par of me really does not want to vaccinate him further for various reasons. On the other hand I am originally from Brazil and plan on returning for a couple years sometime within the few years. Although i don't worry much about him contracting anything in the US, I do worry about the danger there. I have a fairly young uncle who contracted Polio there as a child. I also tend to be a worrier and know that I would never forgive myself if he did contract something serious that he could have been vaccinated for. Then again on the other hand i have read many scary stories of vaccine reactions and i would feel the same way about that. Dh will support whichever decision i make, although i think he would rather not vaccinate, my family respects my wishes, but like me worry about him contracting something outside the US.

I think what i need is more info, but I just don't know where to start looking. If anyone could give me their opinions, advice or good resources for info I would so greatly appreciate it.

At the moment I am quite torn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here is the WHO list of vaccines recommended in Brazil:
http://www.who.int/vaccines/globalsu...ntry.cfm?C=BRA
I would study EVERY disease that are "preventable" by vaccination in both the U.S. and Brazil. Then study that vaccine, side effects, etc.
I found that once I read about the diseases and how common they are, I was not so worried about most of them. You have to decide on your own. Study study study. I wouldn't do another vaccine until I knew all the diseases, vaccines, etc. inside and out. That is where I began. Knowledge is power.
It takes a lot of time and energy, but I think it is worth it when it comes to our little ones. Good luck!
http://www.who.int/en/ is a good place to start. Keep in mind that it is pro vaccine...
www.thinktwice.org
www.909shot.com
www.insidevaccines.com
*I know there are some mamas on here who live outside of the U.S. or travel outside the U.S. frequently that will probably be able to help you more than I can. Good Luck! Keep at it! :
Old 03-31-2009, 02:15 AM

Go on youtube and search Sheri Tenpenny. Watch her videos. That should help with your choices at least here in the states. As for travel I would wait and decided then based on what is endemic to the country you are going to. For instance if you wanted to do Polio , then later in life would mean alot less shots for your babe and less chances of reaction. Course after watching Tenpenny you will hear the stats on polio and may feel it less necessary with the right precautions. For now all you have is time. Don't get too stressed trying to deicde all of that right now. With all the shots waiting til they are older means they need less doses, so if you're not going right now, just research. Another good book is "what your Doctor may not tell you about Vaccinations" by Stephanie Cave, MD.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and resources. I will definitely spend the next few weeks researching and reading up. Thanks for giving me a starting point!
Old 03-31-2009, 01:11 PM

The www.thinktwice.com website is a good resource.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. - Oscar Wilde
Old 03-31-2009, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattershoot View Post
The www.thinktwice.com website is a good resource.
oops, I put thinktwice.org! It was late.

User Tag List