Exposing dc and yourself to chicken pox - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you expose your child to chicken pox if your parents "can't remember" if you had it and were fully vaccinated for it? How miserable is it when you catch it as an adult?
#2 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM

Couldn't hurt. Even if immunity exists, subsequent exposures will act as a booster.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#3 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 AM

Dh's mom said he did have chicken pox but I am not exposing DS until I get the results back from Dh's titer that says yes. I don't really trust his mom. I would jsut get a titer drawn. I would not get it as an adults it dangerous and really miserable!

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#4 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM

Yes I would. Chances are you/your husband have had contact with it over your lifetime. I'm sure there is immunity. YOu could have titres checked to be sure.
I can tell you that unless you are both about 20 yrs old, the chances of you being vaxed for it are not likely.
You could load up on vitamin c, probiotics, etc. to strengthen your immune system so if you did catch it as an adult you could fight it off quickly. More than likely, you will just be "boosting" your immunity to it.
#5 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 04:07 PM

I have never had CP, have no titres, and have not been vaxed. I will not be vaxinng my child.

I am not going to freak out if she gets it, or if I get it, but I am not going to seek it out either. Just my choice.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#6 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 PM

Unless you were born after 1995 in the US or 1998 in Canada it is unlikely you were vaxed for chicken pox.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#7 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM

I would and I did a couple weeks ago. DD has cp now. I know I didn't have CP and my titres show no immunity. I did get vaxed twice in the last 10 years (that's what started me looking into vax) but still don't show anything on titres. I have been exposed numerous times (though certainly not this much!)

My feeling was that I want DD to have immunity. It was very stressful to me for years worrying about getting it, especially when ttc and during pregnancy. I want her to be done with it now when it's likely to be no big deal (it's been a piece of cake for her).

I don't think much of this vax and would never have given it to her. I didn't know if I was prepared to expose her deliberately until the opportunity presented itself. I understand that it can be very miserable for adults and complications can arise. I have fully researched it and I do know others who've had it as adults. I am doing everything I can for my immune system right now and I am prepared to help my body deal with it as best as possible if I do get it.

So I didn't go into this lightly. I think we just need to figure out what we are most comfortable with. This is what worked for me. Though I certainly wouldn't be telling others they should do it this way.
#8 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysBlue View Post
Unless you were born after 1995 in the US or 1998 in Canada it is unlikely you were vaxed for chicken pox.
Oh okay. At least there was one thing my parents didn't shoot me up with! I'll definitely look into getting my DH and I titers. If it said you weren't immune, would you still do it? I'm 21 right now and will probably want my daughter exposed around 5 years old. If you weren't immune, wouldn't you rather catch it now than accidentally at say 65?
#9 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysBlue View Post
Not always true. My best friend (born in 1980) got it for college since she'd never had the pox. It was "recommended" to her and she's a blind vaxer so she went ahead and got it.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#10 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Not always true. My best friend (born in 1980) got it for college since she'd never had the pox. It was "recommended" to her and she's a blind vaxer so she went ahead and got it.
Oh no, that probably happened to me for college too. I also remember getting all these vaccines when I volunteered at a hospital. I guess trying to dig up all those records aren't as important as getting a titers, right? We moved a lot so our medical records are everywhere.
#11 of 12 Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 PM

I would
#12 of 12 Old 04-04-2009, 11:16 PM

I had chicken pox twice--once in second grade, when it was a fun little adventure. Five pox on my body, a little itchy, a week or so sitting out on a blanket in the shade with my brother, playing board games. Super-fun time!

When I was nineteen and home from college for the summer, I picked it up again, because that first case had been so mild and I didn't get a lifelong immunity. Let me tell you, it was the sickest I have ever been in my life. I had pox all over my body. On every patch of visible skin, down in my throat, in my ears and ON MY EYEBALLS. Grossest thing ever. I couldn't wear contact lenses, obviously, and my glands behind my ears were so swollen, I couldn't wear glasses, either. I spent two weeks lying on the couch staring up at the ceiling, desperately itchy and feverish and not wanting to even move because I was so miserable. It was a BAD time. I infected my brother, also home from college that summer, and he had a similarly awful experience. If you aren't immune and are thinking about being exposed, make sure you have a good support system who can step in if you are as sick as I was.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page