Top 5 compelling reasons NOT to vaccinate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 60 Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
 
emma1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you were speaking with someone who didn't know much but was open to listening, according to your own research and logic, what are the top 5 reasons not to vaccinate?

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
emma1325 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 60 Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM
 
caro113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reinholds, PA
Posts: 1,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. It's unnatural. The body better inoculates itself when naturally exposed to diseases, rather than artificially doing it.

2. They are unnecessary. The human race has survived this long without them. They were only introduced in 60s (possibly the 50s but I'm pretty sure the 60s).

3. They screw up our children. Amazing how neurological disorders and cancer practically didn't exist until we started giving women all these drugs to "cope" with labour and delivery and started injected all this crap into our children through vaccines.

4. Do you know what's in them? That right there is enough to make anyone cringe. They contain aluminum, formaldehyde, pigs' stomach, aborted fetuses, mercury (and mercury derivatives), among other things. Do you really want that in your child's system? Seriously?

5. My baby was born perfect; I'm not going to manipulate her body in any way. (This is also my argument for keeping children intact)

6. In countries where babies are not vaccinated, are breastfeed, are sharing the family bed, infant death is extremely low. You could said SIDS decreases, assuming you believe in SIDS.

HTH

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
caro113 is offline  
#3 of 60 Old 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Risks of vaxes outweigh benefits

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#4 of 60 Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM
 
larkedyflarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After watching Dr. Sherri Tenpenny's DVD I would say:

1) They are not safe- The safety isn't tested vaccine against placebo, it's vaccine against another vaccine

2) They are not effective- they produce antibodies but don't prevent the illness

3) Illnesses including small pox, measles and polio were naturally on the decine before the vaccines were introduced

4) The information put out is deceptive for example such as before the polio vaccine was introduced coxackie and another illness were included in polio cases- after the polio vaccine these 2 illness was not included

5) There have been many studies that link vaccine to immune system diseases such as diabetes, allergies, cancer (SV40) etc.

bonus Our future will be scary because now people are getting chicken pox, measles etc as adults after their vaccines wear off. Getting the illness as a child is a lot easier and gives life long immunity
larkedyflarp is offline  
#5 of 60 Old 04-02-2009, 03:46 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1. We have an amazing array of choices and resources available to use to support our children and ourselves through illness. This is the best time in the history of the planet to not vaccinate.

2. The number of unknowns as to how vaccines work is significant. There's a lot learned about new vaccines post-licensure, just by watching the masses that are vaccinated. That's disturbing both from the scientific perspective and from the ethical perspective.

3. Several of the vaccines on the current schedule are there for economic rather than health reasons. I feel this is deeply immoral, to shift risk to our children in order to save money (or protect adults--again, shifting risk from adults to children is just wrong).

4. There's growing evidence that vaccines are triggering chronic health problems and autoimmune issues in some people.
tanyalynn is offline  
#6 of 60 Old 04-02-2009, 05:01 PM
 
ammiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. The ingredient list. No studies will ever convince me that it is a good idea to inject those ingredients into any human body.

2. You can't beat mother nature. The vaccines barely work, the diseases just play "survival of the fittest", and the diseases are getting stronger. And we need the diseases to be around (but not in their altered states)... it's what gives us natural boosters and keeps the diseases from resurfacing in adults.

3. The diseases don't work. Most of the people who don't get VPDs would probably not get them regardless of their vax status.

4. You can't trust the people recommending them. It's not that doctors aren't good people, it's that they are so brainwashed into one way of thinking after going to medical school (just like everyone else is), that they think they are doing a good thing, when they aren't. The medical schools are run by pharma. They write the curriculum, the teachers are on their payroll, and the CDC and FDA are largely funded by pharma.

5. Most of the diseases that we vaccinate against are not a big deal. Why in the world would we risk the side effects of the vaccines (or even just their sheer nastiness) when we could just get a little sick and have fabulous immune systems to show for it? Instead, we vaccinate against diseases that either are no big deal or we wouldn't get anyway (see above point) and our children are getting sicker and sicker from autoimmune diseases. It's not that hard to see the connection.
ammiga is offline  
#7 of 60 Old 04-02-2009, 05:13 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 25,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkedyflarp View Post
3) Illnesses including small pox, measles and polio were naturally on the decine before the vaccines were introduced
Do you have any links for this? I've seen this in the vax forum before - that they simply don't work. I've seen assertions about improved hygiene, etc. etc. being responsible for the decrease in these diseases. I'd like to believe that, but...when I went through school, there were at least two serious mumps outbreaks (the year I got it and another year) and three measles outbreaks (including when I got it, about a year before I started school). MMR wasn't around. DS1 is 16, and the kids he's in school with all received MMR...and there hasn't been one outbreak of mumps or measles in that time. I really don't think that general hygiene, nutrition, etc. have improved that much since the 70s/80s? (Honestly - teens in the 80s were a fanatically clean bunch, by and large - the hair, yk?)

So - is there any research on this stuff?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#8 of 60 Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM
 
larkedyflarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This info. is in the book How to Raise a Vaccine Free Child and in the book Vaccines are they Really Safe and Effective and stuff. I'm sure there's a web link, I'll find one.
larkedyflarp is offline  
#9 of 60 Old 04-02-2009, 09:11 PM
 
ammiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Do you have any links for this? I've seen this in the vax forum before - that they simply don't work. I've seen assertions about improved hygiene, etc. etc. being responsible for the decrease in these diseases. I'd like to believe that, but...when I went through school, there were at least two serious mumps outbreaks (the year I got it and another year) and three measles outbreaks (including when I got it, about a year before I started school). MMR wasn't around. DS1 is 16, and the kids he's in school with all received MMR...and there hasn't been one outbreak of mumps or measles in that time. I really don't think that general hygiene, nutrition, etc. have improved that much since the 70s/80s? (Honestly - teens in the 80s were a fanatically clean bunch, by and large - the hair, yk?)

So - is there any research on this stuff?
I don't have the research handy for you, but what I would say is, are any of you worse off for having had the mumps or measles? They are just normal childhood diseases. I guess I just don't see the big deal and I seriously question why we vaccinate everyone for them. I don't understand what Merck's problem is with people getting sick. We get sick, we get better. Big deal. Most of the time, we're better off because of it.
ammiga is offline  
#10 of 60 Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 PM
 
Barbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my ds got pertussis, I asked my homeopath about it. She said that pertussis is actually a good illness to get (as long as it's managed well) because it makes your lungs stronger. She said that her kids had pertussis about 10 years ago and haven't had a cough since. My mother had it as a child and when I asked her about this, she told me that she has never had any respiratory problems since having whooping cough. Before wc, she had pneumonia twice.
Barbee is offline  
#11 of 60 Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
 
MyBoysBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hadn't heard that before but it makes so much sense. I was just realizing recently that I haven't had a cold with a cough in years not since my bout with Bronchitis one winter when I was 19. I've been questioning whether that was actually Whooping cough as I have been reading how Whooping cough is often misdiagnosed as Bronchitis. I've had colds but never a cough, usually sinus colds. But my Boys had a cold with a cough this winter but it was a minor cough so that was what got me thinking.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
MyBoysBlue is offline  
#12 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Banned
 
fascha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bradford, ON
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fascha is offline  
#13 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 PM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Resistance Free Earth
Posts: 7,602
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Vaccines are nonsense. This is the only reason I need.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#14 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 04:01 PM
 
ilovemygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There are so many vaccines. The long term effects of them individually have barely been properly studied much less all of them combined.
It makes sense to me that we can't expect them to have only the desired effect of immunity and nothing else.

mama to three little ladies
ilovemygirl is offline  
#15 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 04:23 PM
 
LindsayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post
I don't have the research handy for you, but what I would say is, are any of you worse off for having had the mumps or measles? They are just normal childhood diseases. I guess I just don't see the big deal and I seriously question why we vaccinate everyone for them. I don't understand what Merck's problem is with people getting sick. We get sick, we get better. Big deal. Most of the time, we're better off because of it.
Just because tons of people have had the disease, doesn't mean it's harmless.

Some info I found -
"MEASLES (RUBEOLA)
The word measles is derived from the German word for blister.
Before the advent of the current measles vaccine, there were about 500,000 cases of measles in the United States per year; almost everyone got the measles. But since 1963, the number has fallen precipitously (figure 1B) with a low of only 86 cases in 2001, all of which seem to be imported. In the less developed world, measles still takes its toll with an estimated 30 million illnesses and 770,000 measles-caused deaths in 2000 of which 58% were in Africa."

Some more statistic-
"Worldwide, more than 20 million people get sick with measles each year; of these cases, 345,000 are fatal. Measles cases occur in all regions of the world: Southeast Asia (14 million cases), Africa (3.5 million cases), Eastern Mediterranean (2 million cases), Western Pacific (1 million cases), Europe (170,000 cases) and the Americas (<1,000 cases). Mumps is endemic in all regions of the world, including in many developed countries."

Personally, I think 345,000 is a very large number. Large enough for me to want to vaccinate my children for MMR.
LindsayBee is offline  
#16 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 PM
 
caro113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reinholds, PA
Posts: 1,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why I would argue with UNICEF: That short paragraph says nothing about the US at all. It's about the world. And I would say their logic is off. It's not vaccines that are saving people, it's full term breastfeeding (like they mentioned) and co-sleeping and proper hygiene which does wonders for increases life span. Also, when attempting to credit vaccines, they may very well be talking about some 3rd world countries where they give tentus shots to pregnant women because they pack their baby's umbilical cord with cow dung after birth, essentially giving them tentus.

As far as Neurological disorders go, you can hear some compelling arguments in the documentary "The Business of Being Born". That's primarily talking about home birth, but they argue that the drugs given to labouring women play a huge roll.

One this site, they talk about SIDS and vaccines. Here is a bit of what it says about SIDS: "

The incidence of Sudden Infant Death syndrome SIDS has grown from .55 per 1000 live births in 1953 to 12.8 per 1000 in 1992 in Olmstead County, Minnesota. The peak incidence for SIDS is age 2 to 4 months the exact time most vaccines are being given to children. 85 % of cases of SIDS occur in the first 6 months of infancy. The increase in SIDS as a percentage of total infant deaths has risen from 2.5 per 1000 in 1953 to 17.9 per 1000 in 1992. This rise in SIDS deaths has occurred during a period when nearly every childhood disease was declining due to improved sanitation and medical progress except SIDS. These deaths from SIDS did increase during a period when the number of vaccines given a child was steadily rising to 36 per child.

Dr. W. Torch was able to document 12 deaths in infants which appeared within 3½ and 19 hours of a DPT immunization. He later reported 11 new cases of SIDS death and one near miss which had occurred within 24 hours of a DPT injection. When he studied 70 cases of SIDS two thirds of these victims[6] had been vaccinated from one half day to 3 weeks prior to their deaths. None of these deaths was attributed to vaccines. Vaccines are a sacred cow and nothing against them appears in the mass media because they are so profitable to pharmaceutical firms.

There is valid reason to think that not only are vaccines worthless in preventing disease they are counterproductive because they injure the immune system permitting cancer, auto-immune diseases and SIDS to cause much disability and death. "

At the moment, I can not seem to find the link about the cancer. I will look later though, as I know Mae is bound to start wanting my full attention soon, but it was a report by a doctor who had studied all these different children and adults and found that ones who had cancer all had been vaccinated and all the ones who hadn't been vaccinated didn't have cancer. There's more to it than that, but I can't remember it all. It may actually be in that first site I put up.

Some other sites you may be interested in:

http://homepage.mac.com/doctormark/h...ax_populi.html
www.vaccine911.com
http://www.sunherb.com/truth_about_vaccines.htm
http://drjaygordon.com/development/index.asp

Mae's crying .. gotta go. HTH

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
caro113 is offline  
#17 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 06:00 PM
 
Pandme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One simple shot? Lifetime immunity is conferred from getting the disease as a child. The chicken pox vaccine could have worn off by the time the daughter gets pregnant. No one knows how many boosters will be required, but one shot is probably not going to offer anyone lifetime protection.

Know why I never had to worry about passing chicken pox on to my newborn? Because I had it when I was four. I sacked out on the couch and ate lots of soup. And by my breastfeeding my son, I protected him through his newborn phase and well beyond.
Pandme is offline  
#18 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 06:05 PM
 
Barbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This concerns me. It's not just autism that I worry about. The possible long term affects of other toxins in vaccinations worries me. I think you take a great leap of faith when you decide to vaccinate, greater imho that the threat of the illnesses vaccines prevent. I just don't have that kind of trust in pharmaceutical companies.
Barbee is offline  
#19 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 PM
 
Scattershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. There is no proof that people are better off vaccinated than not vaccinated.
2. There are known toxins in vaccines that can admittedly maim or even kill a perfectly healthy child.
3. The number of children damaged by vaccination will never be known since all kinds of shenanigans and denial occur within the medical establishment.
4. Childhood “diseases” are normal developmental stages that are necessary for a healthy life.
5. There is no proof vaccines are safe. Until they test them with all the others, have unvaccinated controls and do it long term, they can only assume they are safe.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. - Oscar Wilde
Scattershoot is offline  
#20 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 PM
 
lauradbg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Slowly finding my way...
Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SIDS used to be called "crib death", not "co-sleeping-as-people-have-safely-done-for-millennia-because-that's-how-we-evolved-death".

How do you know that you don't have some SV40 in you and that it will effect you later? You may or may not, but in any case it's not being looked at is it? How is that remotely scientific?

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
lauradbg is offline  
#21 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 PM
 
SunshineJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In transition
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-mouse View Post
In an above post, someone is talking about how saving "thousands" of lives is insignificant. Yet, in your post, you state that Dr. Torch documented TWELVE cases of SIDS as being vaccinated related. TWELVE!?!? How many thousands of children die each year from SIDS, yet he was only able to link TWELVE cases together? To me, that seems like an insignificant number to base a life changing decision. It could be coincidence that these children had their vaccinations and passed away from SIDS.


Here's another scenario. I'm assuming your daughter has not been vaccinated. Let's say 30 years from now, give or take, she's pregnant...and she gets chickenpox. She's never had chickenpox, never been vaccinated. She passes this along to her baby, in utero. Are you aware of the risks of chickenpox in a newborn?


With one simple shot, her baby (your grandchild) could avoid all of the above and be born perfectly healthy.
I would like to see more research on what Dr. Torch was working on. However, before criticizing the limited number of children examined one would really have to know how many he actually had access to that died from SIDS and what if any roadblocks he encountered in trying to prove this theory. I guarantee it has not made him a popular person among his peers!

As for the cp vax, I assume you are aware that this isn't a lifetime immunity that you get from the vax? Neither is Rubella for that matter. I was one of the "lucky" ones in that my immunity was still good for rubella when I was pregnant - I know many, many women that wasn't true for who had to be re-immunized with the hope that it might take. Vax's wear off and there's no way of knowing, even if my DD was completely current on all her vax's, that she would still be protected when she's old enough to have a child. The odds of her still having immunity if she gets it naturally however are much greater. Really, there's no way to even know if giving it to her now will have any effect in 20 yrs, so I can't see that as a good reason to give it to her.

As for why we don't vax, the reason is twofold. First of all, much as it may be unpleasant, I believe that in order to have a healthy immune system you have to be exposed to diseases. In my book that means that you just might have to go through getting sick or watch your kids go through it. Sucks? Yep. But it's the way we were created to deal with illnesses. I had cp and I believe measles as a kid. DH had mumps. Barely a blip on the radar other than I was pissed I ended up missing the class field trip. The second reason is that while most people assume non-vaxxer's are afraid of autism, etc., there are other real reactions that people don't consider. My DD is probably permenantly damaged because of them. Within 2 hrs of having them around 18 months (I believe it was the Hib and Prevnar, can't swear to it without looking them up), her fever shot up to over 104. NO ONE on either side of the family gets fevers like that - ever. We all run less than 98.6 resting. She had been ill before and never had had a temp like that. She went into a seizure. We were told this was a "common" reaction in some children to vaccines, not a big deal. Yeah, it's such a "not big deal" that almost 3 yrs later she still spikes an insanely high fever with every.single.illness, still has seizures when ill (that we were told she'd grow out of by age 4 - no sign of slowing down) and within 45 days had developed allergies so severe that without medication for them she is effectively deaf. The kicker? No one would consider reporting it as it was such a common reaction. The kick in the teeth? Being told at the follow up visit "We need to go ahead and schedule her next set of immunizations". Yeah, no thanks.
SunshineJ is offline  
#22 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 07:41 PM
 
LindsayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradbg View Post
SIDS used to be called "crib death", not "co-sleeping-as-people-have-safely-done-for-millennia-because-that's-how-we-evolved-death".

How do you know that you don't have some SV40 in you and that it will effect you later? You may or may not, but in any case it's not being looked at is it? How is that remotely scientific?
What I said isn't any less "scientific" than what I was responding to. And nowhere did I claim it was scientific. So I don't know why you're asking that.

As far as SV40 in relation to the polio vaccine (which is, I'm sure, why you mentioned it), I did not receive the polio vaccine in the 50's or 60's. I wasn't born until decades later.

I'll just keep my opinions to myself about co-sleeping since this isn't the forum for that. And I don't really see what co-sleeping or crib sleeping has to do with vaccinations (which is why I commented on someone's statement about it.)
LindsayBee is offline  
#23 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 08:19 PM
 
Pandme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found Mendelsohn, Aviva Jill Romm and Stephanie Cave's books helpful as a jumping off point. Mendelsohn and Cave are doctors.
Pandme is offline  
#24 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 08:33 PM
 
LindsayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
I found Mendelsohn, Aviva Jill Romm and Stephanie Cave's books helpful as a jumping off point. Mendelsohn and Cave are doctors.
The above is a helpful post. Thank you for that.
LindsayBee is offline  
#25 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 08:48 PM
 
Pandme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayBee View Post
The above is a helpful post. Thank you for that.
You're quite welcome! I found Romm's book to be very helpful too....it was balanced to view both sides as was Caves. Mendolsohn is in the "don't do them" camp.

As for me, I always remain open to new information and reserve the right to change my mind at any time. In fact, I am rereading chapters of Romm's book now. It could use an update (prevnar wasn't around when it came out, for example) but is still very good.
Pandme is offline  
#26 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 PM
 
phrogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayBee View Post
Just because tons of people have had the disease, doesn't mean it's harmless.

Some info I found -
"MEASLES (RUBEOLA)
The word measles is derived from the German word for blister.
Before the advent of the current measles vaccine, there were about 500,000 cases of measles in the United States per year; almost everyone got the measles. But since 1963, the number has fallen precipitously (figure 1B) with a low of only 86 cases in 2001, all of which seem to be imported. In the less developed world, measles still takes its toll with an estimated 30 million illnesses and 770,000 measles-caused deaths in 2000 of which 58% were in Africa."

Some more statistic-
"Worldwide, more than 20 million people get sick with measles each year; of these cases, 345,000 are fatal. Measles cases occur in all regions of the world: Southeast Asia (14 million cases), Africa (3.5 million cases), Eastern Mediterranean (2 million cases), Western Pacific (1 million cases), Europe (170,000 cases) and the Americas (<1,000 cases). Mumps is endemic in all regions of the world, including in many developed countries."

Personally, I think 345,000 is a very large number. Large enough for me to want to vaccinate my children for MMR.
There have been less then 1000 deaths in the US due to measles. What is the biggest difference between the US and Africa? Clean food, clean water (well for the most part) medical care etc. Seems like your better bet is feeding your kids, building up their immune system, then giving them a vaccine that has KILLED people as well.

Of those less then 1000 cases in the US, how many of those children were already immune compromised? How many were sick with other illnesses such as HIV? That is another factor in africa, kids dying from measles, but had HIV and were starving.

It can be a big circle and some people don't believe that vaccines can injure kids, I disagree with that as i have proof in my step son, and frankly I would rather take the risk with the diease on a healthy body then having to deal with the life long neurological disorders we are dealing with now, but each family has to weigh their own risks.

Frankly I will take my chances with the diseases and try to boost my kids natural ability to fight viruses.
phrogger is offline  
#27 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 PM
 
phrogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayBee View Post
I don't have a problem with people choosing not to vaccinate their children. It's their decision. I do think people need to be more informed. They need to look at all sides of the issues and not just read the articles by people on "their" side.

By your logic...you make it sound as if the children that are non-vaxed, breastfed for many years, and co-sleep will not get ill? And SIDS would not occur in those children?

I take real issue with the statement you made that I bolded above. I was only breastfed as a baby (not as a toddler or child.) I never co-slept. I was vaccinated. And I am perfectly healthy. As are my siblings, cousins, etc.

I appreciate modern medicine and I take advice from my doctor (he knows way more about this stuff than I do.) It just scares me a little that so many people make decisions about vaccinations based on weird studies and non-experts.

Do I think all vaccines are great? Definitely not. But I think some are very important.
Have you ever been to a medical conference? Have you ever talked to a Dr. about vaccines outside of your ped and on a more personal level?

I had the privlidge of getting to know a family practioner very well for a number of reasons, to the point that I lived in her home when my youngest was 18 months old. She BEGGED me not to get my son vaccinated at that age. She herself, a DR. had NOT been trained properly on vaccines, infact their "training" consisted of drug reps giving them all the pros and not even really discussing any of the cons. Infact she only knew of any cons by researching it herself and searching out the CDC reports. Dr's aren't exactly more educated then your average person, they are just fed the pros by the smooth talking drug reps.

I went with her to a drug conference one time. It was a "family event" they paid big bucks to get us all into a zoo, had great food, great drinks and a day with paid tours etc. of the animals, before we could do that, we had to sit in on a lecture on why their meds were the best for ear infections. I thought we were going to get kicked out when my friend actually brought up "why would we give antibiotics to kids with ear infections when 90% of them are viral". Basically calling them out on their "pro drugs" stance. The guy couldn't argue and in the end it was "well parents feel better about knowing they can have antibiotics". So THOSE are the situations that are training our Dr.'s about vaccines, medications etc.

I am glad I listened to her and I am glad she did her research. on the flip side, she DID vaccinate her kids who were extremely premature for a few things and did so because she did indepenant research and the pros outweighed the cons, but she still stuck to "healthy kids should NOT get vaccines but rather the disease".
phrogger is offline  
#28 of 60 Old 04-03-2009, 11:54 PM
 
claddaghmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hmm, well to the OP, I would need to get a feel for the hypothetical person to decide what to say. Everyone has a perspective, KWIM?

For me, these are the top 5 reasons:

1. DH and I both almost died from our childhood vaccines. So DD will not be vaccinated due to her being genetically connected to us and possibly having the same allergic reactions.

2. The theory behind vaccinations is about as soft as you can get in the scientific world. It amazes me that an entire culture is built around rabidly protecting the act of injecting multiple doses of toxins and live/dead viruses into infants. And this is all done without any actual scientific studies. All the studies out there are epidemiological in nature, skewed, funded by parties w/ a conflict of interest, none of them are double-blind, they only focus on one vaccine or one chemical and they have controls that do not mimic real life (such as eliminating low birth weight children from the study when America is #1 in premature births). The CDC recently agreed that their studies have weaknesses and errors. If people want to do some real studies, I am open to re-evaluating things. Until then: vaccinations are quackery.

3. Vaccine ingredients. Disgusting. Immoral to some. Extremely dangerous to others. Let's see, most every American mother knows her baby can't have cow's milk until 1yr old (some say 10 months). But it's okay to shoot 'em up with casein? Egg? Baker's yeast? A neighbor's kid will die if he so much as breathes dust from a peanut. Allergies are serious. But vaccines are one size fits all, whether you have allergies or not.

What about the Hep B vax? Didn't a member on here calculate the amount of chemicals in that vaccine? I recall that you would have to be 256lbs to get the vax and remain under the FDA's safety level. But newborns get this vaccine. Here is what happens when a baby is allergic to the vaccine.

4. This one might not matter to others, but it was a clincher for me. I started thinking about how crazy people get over the topic of vaccines. I mean, the government, FDA, Merck, the media....they spend trillions of dollars on vaccines. Regular people get into huge crazy arguments about vaccines. Vaccines are hyped everywhere. But guess what? My child has a 1000% higher chance of dying every time I get in the car than she does of dying from a vaccine "preventable" disease. I think it's sad and ridiculous the way people freak out about vaccines, but I bet if you take a look in their car, the carseat is installed wrong, buckled wrong, not tethered, not rear facing, too small/too big, etc. I think the recent statistics are that 80% of carseats are installed incorrectly. THOUSANDS of children die from car accidents. But we better vaccinate the heck out of them!

5. Manipulation. Again, this might not be a big one for others, but I abhor the way parents are encouraged to remain uneducated and ignorant. Vaccines are big business. I do not appreciate having my emotions played on me. No, I will not let my kid be a human pincushion b/c some doctor or government official claims she'll die. You know what, all those starving, naked, homeless kids in third world countries don't want to be human pincushions either. Here's a novel idea: stop jabbing needles into kids and try offering the poor people some clean water and housing. Oh some food would be nice too.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
claddaghmom is offline  
#29 of 60 Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 AM
 
Pookietooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Do you have any links for this? I've seen this in the vax forum before - that they simply don't work. I've seen assertions about improved hygiene, etc. etc. being responsible for the decrease in these diseases. I'd like to believe that, but...when I went through school, there were at least two serious mumps outbreaks (the year I got it and another year) and three measles outbreaks (including when I got it, about a year before I started school). MMR wasn't around.
Was there no vax for mumps until recently? I thought that had been around for years. I got the mumps in second grade, it was not fun (and my tonsils were never the same again).

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Pookietooth is offline  
#30 of 60 Old 04-04-2009, 01:18 AM
 
lilbsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: in the beautiful foothills of NC
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can't remember if this link has been posted already or not, and I'm too riled up to look. When you looks at this, how could you let someone stab your babies with $h*t like this?

http://www.vaccination.inoz.com/ingredie.html

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

lilbsmama is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off