Older generation with that scar - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 26 years old, grew up in the US, and I have what looks like a vaccine scar on top of my left shoulder (as in, not on my arm). What on earth might that be from?

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#32 of 49 Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 PM

My sister was the among the last group to get it. she will be forty in july. I do not have one.
Her ped, though, at the time, thought it would be unsightly to put that scar on her arm so he gave her hte shot somewhere it could not be seen.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#33 of 49 Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasharna View Post
I'm 26 years old, grew up in the US, and I have what looks like a vaccine scar on top of my left shoulder (as in, not on my arm). What on earth might that be from?
a chicken pox scar? a mole removal?
#34 of 49 Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 PM

My DH is 26 and he has the small-pox vaccine scar. He was born in Bosnia, so I guess that's why...

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#35 of 49 Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM

My mother's is perfectly round, like a hollow hole punch. My grandfather's is large and diffuse and less deep.

I don't know when mom had hers, but I *think* grandpa got his in the Navy (WWII).

If I remember, I'll attack the arms of my elders when they visit for DS's bday party in two weeks. I'll take copious notes and ask tricky questions.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#36 of 49 Old 04-09-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
We were trying to watch John Adams (HBO Mini Series) and there was a scene in it where Abigail was having herself and the children inoculated with it. It made me want to :Puke
That was pretty bad. And one child got really sick from it. That must be some terrible mama guilt. There's other scary medical stuff too, if you get to the end of it.
#37 of 49 Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 AM

So what is the round one with all the little dots in it? I got confused with the thread

What does BCG stand for by the way?

Dh is 42 and has the big round one with the little holes in the middle. I do not have and I am 37 just missed it apparently.

My mom and dad and most of the older folks I know have it as well.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#38 of 49 Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
So what is the round one with all the little dots in it? I got confused with the thread

What does BCG stand for by the way?

Dh is 42 and has the big round one with the little holes in the middle. I do not have and I am 37 just missed it apparently.

My mom and dad and most of the older folks I know have it as well.
As I posted earlier, apparently there are two separate scars/vaccines being talked about here...smallpox and BCG (for tuberculosis). It seems that each person can have a slightly different scarring reaction (to either vax), so for some of us the scar is obvious while for others it's barely noticeable. Looks like both vaxes may have been given in various parts of the (usually upper) body, so that's not a separating factor either. Sounds like it may be difficult to tell just by external examination which vax it is, but other circumstantial factors might give it away...such as current age and age when immunized, as well as location (some areas give the BCG regularly while others do not), and service in the military. Of course, some people remember getting the vax and know precisely what it was for.

From Wikipedia:

"Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (or Bacille Calmette-Guérin, BCG) is a vaccine against tuberculosis that is prepared from a strain of the attenuated (weakened) live bovine tuberculosis bacillus, Mycobacterium bovis, that has lost its virulence in humans by being specially cultured in an artificial medium for years. The bacilli have retained enough strong antigenicity to become a somewhat effective vaccine for the prevention of human tuberculosis. At best, the BCG vaccine is 80% effective in preventing tuberculosis for a duration of 15 years, however, its protective effect appears to vary according to geography."

This explains why you'd react positively to a TB test, because actually then, you have been infected with TB bacteria.

Reading up more on it, the effectiveness of the BCG vaccine can vary from 0% to 80% according to some papers.

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#39 of 49 Old 04-14-2009, 03:31 PM

By the time I was born, small pox was off the schedule in CT anyway)...but my mother being a peds nurse had our ped order it for my brother and I...my scar is on my thigh.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#40 of 49 Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
I don't know if this is related, but I could never get a clinical dose of chicken pox either despite countless exposures both as a child and adult.
Same here. One of my doctors drew a titer on me when I was pregnant, and it showed immunity despite never having actually suffered through CP.

I am 38 and have a smallpox vaccine scar on my upper left arm. My mom tells me that they weren't required anymore by the time I was born, but we lived in a very tiny, midwestern town and they just continued giving the vaccine until it was all used up.

My baby book says that I was four months old when I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
Dh has a small pox scar - older generation lol. That made me laugh.
Me, too. I don't think of myself as "the older generation" just yet.
#41 of 49 Old 04-14-2009, 05:25 PM

My husband is 21 and has the scar. He was born in Mexico.
#42 of 49 Old 05-09-2009, 01:57 AM

I don't have one but I remember asking why the big kids at school did and what it was and being laughed at and told "It's my vaccination, silly."

I was six years old and really worried. Those things looked like cigar burns!
#43 of 49 Old 05-10-2009, 05:57 PM

my dh has the scar, he is 41. I didn't get the vax I'm 36. My dh said the vax was given in an instrument that looked like a gun and had a bunch of needles that injected at once when the trigger was pulled.
#44 of 49 Old 05-10-2009, 06:44 PM

my dh and i were born the same year 71 - he in jan me in nov. he got the shot, i didn't. in this part of canada, it was taken off the schedule in 71.

my sister in law is 27 and has the scar, she was born in the czech republic, her younger brother also does. so it was still done well into the 1980s there.

haha older generation - "i remember when...pong came out, when you had to go into a bank to take your money out..."

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#45 of 49 Old 05-12-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_veggie View Post
It's kinda how we treat chicken pox now, though...exposing it to our kids on purpose to increase their immunity so it won't kill them later. I was in elementary school when the vaccine came out, but I'm so glad I never got it. I just had chicken pox and got over it. I know the smallpox one isn't that simple, though.

It was the people who had cowpox that didn't get smallpox...maybe we should just let people get the non-deadly cowpox? I don't now. I don't know too much about the issue, only that lots of problems have recently presented themselves.
I'm going to have to disagree with that concept. Exposing a child to chicken pox through natural means with no vaccination involved is attempting "natural immunity." Vaccination is attempting "artificial immunity" by hoping to stimulate antibody production--one tiny facet of the immune system. Natural immunity is a complex phenomenon involving many organs and systems; it cannot be fully replicated by the artificial stimulation of antibody production. Antibody count has nothing to do with immunity either. Furthermore, injecting an attenuated virus directly into the bloodstream, bypassing all immune system defenses, also has nothing to do with immunity. These concepts are explained in the book "The Sanctity of Human Blood: Vaccination is Not Immunization" and there are also excerpts from the book on www.thedoctorwithin.com.

Additionally, it is a myth that "the people who had cowpox that didn't get smallpox." This excerpt from the book here will explain that: http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/small...ck-to-Life.php

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#46 of 49 Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
I. These concepts are explained in the book "The Sanctity of Human Blood: Vaccination is Not Immunization" and there are also excerpts from the book on www.thedoctorwithin.com.

Additionally, it is a myth that "the people who had cowpox that didn't get smallpox." This excerpt from the book here will explain that: http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/small...ck-to-Life.php
This is excellent(and bookmarked)! TThank you!
#47 of 49 Old 05-12-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
You are bringing back a nasty memory for me - this is *exactly* how it was for me. It hurt like a big dog. In my early 40's here... and I think I got it just before they stopped (my bad timing as usual). My scar is about 1/2" diameter - it's pretty obvious. Wish my mom knew better back then, but I guess I can't blame her for not knowing.

Funny thing - before I opened this thread, I knew exactly what the title was referring to ("that scar"). It was from the smallpox vaccine.
IA. My dh and I are the same age(40's). I had the vaccine and he didn't.:
#48 of 49 Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 PM

Before I read this thread, I had no idea how lucky I was. I do remember lining up to get vaxed at public school in kindy and first grade (and will never, EVER forget the pain) so my folks were obviously going to have the smallpox done there instead of at the peds.

I was born in '65. It was discontinued in '71. Oh. My. Frickin. Dog.

I think my sister had the scar but i'm not sure. She always kept that part of her arm covered.
#49 of 49 Old 05-12-2009, 09:38 PM

My mom is 45 and she has it...it's kind of in a diamond shape, a bit bigger (longer) than my thumb print. Looks like several little needle pricks holes inside a diamond shape hole in her skin (the whole top layer of her skin is missing).

It was from the small pox vaccine (funny story, when I was talking to my mom and grandma about us not vaccinating my grandma said the ONLY one she wanted my kids to have was the small pox one...I told her I didn't even get the small pox vaccine I thought she was going to wring my mom's neck until we explained that they stopped giving it in the 70's)

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page